Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Escanaba/Gladstone MI Lets start a carpet track 1/12 and 1/10 pan cars & touring >

Escanaba/Gladstone MI Lets start a carpet track 1/12 and 1/10 pan cars & touring

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Escanaba/Gladstone MI Lets start a carpet track 1/12 and 1/10 pan cars & touring

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Escanaba/Gladstone MI Lets start a carpet track 1/12 and 1/10 pan cars & touring

So I used to race, and now would like to see if anybody would like to get something going here. This is basically a call out to people in the area. I am willing to buy some carpet from crc to make a 36 x 70.

If any off road guys read this, carpet makes you alot better racer, its precise, teaches set up because there is so much grip you feel changes alot more then a looser surface like dirt. Racing is also very close in the 1/12 stock blinky class and with 1s lipos things have just gotten so much easier.

Class I would like to see:
1/12 stock (blinky)

1/10 VTA

1/10 touring car rubber(you can race two classes with one car with vta and tc rubber!!)

and World GT!
So lets get a club going in ESKY!!!!!

Chuck Carmin

906 420 8231
Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTLaCh0TB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0VHzZ-a_Y
Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I know its 2hrs way but the have a track in St. Ignace, MI
Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Used to drive up from Green Bay to race the carpet track in the Bark River Gym. Was a fun time. Nice to see that somebody is putting in some work to try and get racing going around there again.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Howler
Used to drive up from Green Bay to race the carpet track in the Bark River Gym. Was a fun time. Nice to see that somebody is putting in some work to try and get racing going around there again.
Do you know who I could contact to kindle some old flames. I really would like to get a club going by next winter, I guess being willing to shell out 2k for carpet is somewhat willing anyways lol. I havent even priced AMB but im sure thats nice and expensive as well.

Carpet seems to just make the best drivers for all RC car drivng.

Thanks
Chuck
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wanabefast
Do you know who I could contact to kindle some old flames. I really would like to get a club going by next winter, I guess being willing to shell out 2k for carpet is somewhat willing anyways lol. I havent even priced AMB but im sure thats nice and expensive as well.

Thanks
Chuck
That's awesome you want to start a club. If you really want to start a club might I suggest going more the route of Short Course? Most of the guys that are into R/C are into short course in this area. (I'm sure that's due to the fact that there is a full-size TORC track nearby).

You can do short coursen carpet with jumps pretty easily. It's actually been going on in St. Ignace for some time now and the turnouts are pretty good. (Around 60 entries for the last race.)

I really think you'd be better off having a short course option.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

I know they used to race carpet there because all them guys would come to green bay. Wish you the best of luck. I,m not sure what ever happened to the track in iron mountain maybe there is stuff there yet.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

NOT interested in short course
(for winter racing), I want to do road course racing only.

Save the trucks for the dirt.

Last edited by wanabefast; 02-18-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Think you need to take what you can get, I know there is a group that carpet races in oconto, wi, think its oval, lots of slashes etc, from what I heard. Carpet ended in green bay and at trackside for a reason, oskosh is doing really good with carpetm just guess it depends if the cars are out there. I think it would be a big gamble right now. Was it going to be a set location or a place where it is taken down and set back up?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

NOT interested in short course
(for winter racing), I want to do road course racing only.

Save the trucks for the dirt.
You might be the only one then. The guys I know that used to race carpet got rid of their carpet stuff and race SC (when they do race).

I'm just coming from the perspective of having lived in this area all my life and knowing the people that actually have R/C's in this area. You're looking at mostly a basher crowd here. It'd be a lot easier to get them to come out if they can use something they already have i.e. short course than convince them to drop extra coin for something that they might not like.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks
Chuck
I do know a bunch of carpet racers who still have their oval stuff, and I'm also sure that a lot of people still have their sedans laying around, however they don't run the area anymore since Victory dumped dirt over their carpet oval. Pro-Star shut down in GB, as well as Jason's track(roadrash). I do know that Chuck Manning(Ontonogan) still drives to WI to race. Not sure if Casey Brake and the Pro-match guys still race in Sault Ste Marie. Most tracks went the way of where the money is (SCT), but there are a few still running carpet as well as some new ones(Oshkosh, West Bend, Marshfield and Wausau).

If you plan on buying a new system, plan on about 6k for an AMBrc or AMB3(they count the personal transponders as well). From what I've seen the AMB20 system(old school tray transponders) are going from 2-3k used. They are tough to find.

As for the Iron Mountain track, Hock and I ran it a long time ago. I think that's when Chris with Integy ran it. Wasn't much to look at, but at least was an effort. I agree with the comment on the carpet racing. It does seem to bring out more precise racing setups to run it. However, there is NO WAY that I personally would allow a SCT to take jumps on an Ozite carpet track, unless it was on it's last leg. There is too much chance of damaging it with those things landing from the big jumps.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

back at roadrage we used to run 1/10 trucks with foams with just little jumps in the corners, more like speed bumps, that was always fun.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

just a throwing out a few things to consider; Carpet road course is the BEST!, but off-road is more popular especially SC. An off-road day with capeted jumps can be very popular (traction abounds, no clean up!). Some residential carpet cast-offs for landing areas will protect the race carpet.
i-Lap has a less expensive alternative to AMB. Works quite well and personals are $35-$40 ea.
The off-road day will help pay the rent and the I-Lap will help keep start up cost down.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Howler
I do know a bunch of carpet racers who still have their oval stuff, and I'm also sure that a lot of people still have their sedans laying around, however they don't run the area anymore since Victory dumped dirt over their carpet oval. Pro-Star shut down in GB, as well as Jason's track(roadrash). I do know that Chuck Manning(Ontonogan) still drives to WI to race. Not sure if Casey Brake and the Pro-match guys still race in Sault Ste Marie. Most tracks went the way of where the money is (SCT), but there are a few still running carpet as well as some new ones(Oshkosh, West Bend, Marshfield and Wausau).

If you plan on buying a new system, plan on about 6k for an AMBrc or AMB3(they count the personal transponders as well). From what I've seen the AMB20 system(old school tray transponders) are going from 2-3k used. They are tough to find.

As for the Iron Mountain track, Hock and I ran it a long time ago. I think that's when Chris with Integy ran it. Wasn't much to look at, but at least was an effort. I agree with the comment on the carpet racing. It does seem to bring out more precise racing setups to run it. However, there is NO WAY that I personally would allow a SCT to take jumps on an Ozite carpet track, unless it was on it's last leg. There is too much chance of damaging it with those things landing from the big jumps.
I ran that track in Iron Mountain too. It was fun. Casey runs SCT carpet w/ jumps at St. Ignace. It is tough on the carpet. We have to tape the screw holes on the underside of the chassis so they don't tear it up to bad. Also, 4wd's really tear it up. They aren't even allowed on Casey's track.

If one could get their hands on an old roll of ozite and use it to cover up the landing areas of the jumps that could mitigate tearing up the "good" carpet.

It's awesome the TS wants to start racing in the area I miss having a place to race. Maybe if he went and had both on and off-road on the same track he could get some people to cross over.

I remember @ the Iron Mountain track they would pull the jumps out and race Legends cars. That looked like a lot o fun. Plus I think it'd be easier to convince someone to buy $120 Legends kit than to go out and buy a higher-end pan car or touring car. That might be an option.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

I would start a facebook group and maybe pass flyers out at bark river. Many people might not be on here, not sure if there are any hobby shop you could post flyers at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.