Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Futaba Electric Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jcad33
I'm signed up for buggy aan truggy online and hope to be in the sc enduro race as well! I only play with 1/10 in the winter. If you need a place to have stuff shipped just let me know....I promise
I will not cherry pick any of it.
Dialed! Yeah, I have no time to get a truggy ready before then. lol. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know for sure.

Brad

Last edited by Brad S.; 07-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Every fire I've seen was caused by bad solder joints in the battery or elsewhere causing dead shorts which leads to a smoke show. It's just easier to blame the softcase.

Regardless, it is what it is. If that's the rule you choose then that's your right.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brad S.
The rule is for safety. Every single 4s lipo I've seen go up, happened to a soft case pack. And why can't you use a hardcase at your local track?

Dialed! Yeah, I have no time to get a truggy ready before then. lol. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know for sure.

Brad
Every lipo fire I have seen at the track has been from improper charging.
Usually nitro guys charging their lipo receiver packs on the wrong setting with cheapo chargers. I've seen more ESC fires than actual lipo packs going up.

Our tracks just enforce a lipo sack for charging. Most of the guys up here run 5s and 6s (especially in truggy) because we run mostly with nitros as there aren't enough of us to get our own class. As a result, we care more about efficiency. The safety of hardcases is severely overstated.

Just saying that rule adds unnecessary costs for some guys because we setup our equipment for what works 95% of the time for us locally, not just the one or two races with this rule.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Edumakated;9446434]Every lipo fire I have seen at the track has been from improper charging.
Usually nitro guys charging their lipo receiver packs on the wrong setting with cheapo chargers. I've seen more ESC fires than actual lipo packs going up.

Our tracks just enforce a lipo sack for charging. Most of the guys up here run 5s and 6s (especially in truggy) because we run mostly with nitros as there aren't enough of us to get our own class. As a result, we care more about efficiency. The safety of hardcases is severely overstated.QUOTE]

Okay, I was more curious than anything actually, but that makes total sense. Wait and see what RJD says.
Brad
Old 07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep, I have my 1/8 e-buggy set up just fine with 5S and a 1900 motor.

I do not wish to buy "hardcase" 4S packs and another motor just for this one race.

Ironically, I race at RJD with the 5S when I get a chance to but they've been closed or it rains or I have something going on in the morning up in Chicago.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Every lipo fire I have seen at the track has been from improper charging.

Our tracks just enforce a lipo sack for charging. Most of the guys up here run 5s and 6s (especially in truggy) because we run mostly with nitros as there aren't enough of us to get our own class. As a result, we care more about efficiency. The safety of hardcases is severely overstated.

Just saying that rule adds unnecessary costs for some guys because we setup our equipment for what works 95% of the time for us locally, not just the one or two races with this rule.
I would have agreed with you before the fire. The pack was 2 months old and a relativly expensive 6500mah one (to run 20 min + mains in truggy). The pack was last charged 3 days before it flamed and was stapped in the Truggy for those same 3 days and not connected to anything. All I did was install the tires and body for the next day and carry it up stairs from the basement and set it on the car hood. By the time I did the same with the buggy the truggy was in melt down. The only thing I might have done was re sinch the velcro straps which on an AE have 90 deg. plastic loops. But I don't remember sinching them to tell you the truth.

I have new 5450 5s packs and 5500 4s packs all hard case now. I know there are hard case 3s packs also. At the last MWNS an e truggy guy ran a 20 min main on a 4s 5300 pack with no loss in power. All indoor tracks I know require hard cases. Going the hard case route I figured gave us more options along with added safety.

The E classes seem to be still evolving and maybe ROAR will allow 5s and 6s cells some day just like they now allow 550 motors in 4x4SCT. Or maybe the ESCs will become more efficient not to need them.

I am really happy I did not put the truggy IN the car.

Keith.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Hard cases only do one thing IMO. Provide "some" protection from puncture. It will not keep a battery from having an internal failure, period. It will not protect your buggy/truggy if a wire from the esc or motor comes loose and dead shorts causing battery failure. Fact is and no one ever admits fault, of course, is user error. As far as the 4s rule, well you have to know some ROAR history and certain manufactures product lines.....
Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am sure there will be plenty of entries that will not have any issues conforming to the rules for this race.
I am looking forward to some competitive races @RJD!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Just everyone take it easy. . Wait for RJD to post on here. They know more than all of us combined.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Brad S.
Just everyone take it easy. . Wait for RJD to post on here. They know more than all of us combined.
Guy's, 5s is the biggest battery,hard or soft I don't care. Last year it was 5s and had no issues. If you have any questions just give us a jingle (217-732-4300). Let's have fun!!! Hope to see you all here for another Great Year of Electric Racing!
Darrell and Bee
Old 07-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Yay!!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Just got my flight schedule for a trip for work. Looks like I'll be out o the country during this event! Darn. Maybe next year?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RJD Hobbies
Guy's, 5s is the biggest battery,hard or soft I don't care. Last year it was 5s and had no issues. If you have any questions just give us a jingle (217-732-4300). Let's have fun!!! Hope to see you all here for another Great Year of Electric Racing!
Darrell and Bee
There you have it!

Cool....now everybody should be all set.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Stock slash (Spec slash class) is out of the box traxxas slash truck, only changes allowed will be the radio and servo.
Stock 2wd is a 17.5 turn motor 2wd any radio, servo and tires.
Open 2wd is any motor tires radio and servo
Same for the 4wd class.
Only thing not allowed in the slash classes, those mentioned above, no 1/8 scale tires. All tire must be short course.
5s will be the biggest battery allowed in the 1/8 scale classes. I forgot to ask what limit for the short course but 90% sure it will be 2s.
If you need other info call the track or post here and you will get an answer.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.