Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Will "onroad" make a come back in the north? >

Will "onroad" make a come back in the north?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will "onroad" make a come back in the north?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davin
You can pick up great used chassis for less than 200 bucks. And its all about driver I run an Xray t2009 right now and will probably upgrade to a T3 before the end of the year. But i still will get beat every week buy a guy wit a 5 year old LOSI chassis A 500 dollar chassis will not put you in First everry week. Im living proof
I started with a Xray T1R and moved to a TC3. even in the hands of a good driver it wasnt the fastest but I could keep up with the TC5's and it won races with a 21.5 and a speed passion GT2.0. If onroad makes a come back I will deffinatly be racing VTA again. I ran last years hurricane race and went to all the tracks good times
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jaggededge
Not from around you guys but am faced with what I believe to be the same situation.. No where to race on road.
One thing I don't get about VTA is why 4wd? Trans Am cars are/were rear wheel drive.. Makes no sense to me especially since it would be cheaper.
Which 2wd platform were you going to suggest? Touring cars are everywhere. 3 or 4 year old cars often win races.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Which 2wd platform were you going to suggest? Touring cars are everywhere. 3 or 4 year old cars often win races.
I bought a 4wd car for VTA so I'm not bashing the series.
I'm not suggesting a platform except that they should be 2wd.
There were no 4wd cars then, so its kind of silly to be driving 4wd cars in a Vintage Trans Am series. At least that was my first thought when I read over the rules.

Have a nice day.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

That's the problem, you would have to have a pan car to have 2wd at this point.

All those sedans we race are FWD 1:1 most of the time anyway. So 4wd is really not correct, but it is the easiest option for available tires, wheels, bodies, etc.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Red face

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
Since Onroad has died in the Wisconsin area probly as well as other states I have lost all intrest in RC racing. I tryed SCT racing but I just didn't enjoy it like I thought I would and gave it up completely. I use to race VTA and even though it was frsturateing at times I miss the racing and the wrenching I don't know if it will ever come back like it use to be but is there a way to bring it back if it even has a chance
Interesting thread. I started racing 1/12th scale in the 80's in the basement of the local hobby shop. When that closed I found trackside. During college in the late 90's I raced at trackside 3 times a week, studying between heats. I made some great friends and had a really great time. One of the most affordable classes we raced was the rc10L3 Touring - pan cars with touring car bodies. We ran them 6 cell, mabuchi motors, and "blue" foams. They were faster than stock touring cars but needed nothing all season.

Now that my children are older I wanted to go racing again. I bought a SCT from trackside to try out offroad. SCT is about as far as you can get from 1/12th scale. I only ran the truck a couple times at the track. It is just is not as interesting to me. I have come to realize now is someone else's golden age of racing, mine was in the past and I can't go back.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I got a question, why doesnt anyone come to Leisure Hours in Joliet,IL?? I just dont get it,its a first class facility. Electric,nitro,1/8 and 1/10 scale??

Lets hear it,good or bad.

Pete
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default MARCCA indoor onroad needs you

It will be dead if people let it die. MARCCA is still around. If there is interest and people willing to make it happen please post your ideas and opinions to the indoor onroad thread I started in the MARCCA forum. We ran onroad three times in the spring this year. See if we can put together a program for this season.

Thanks, Keith and Jason
Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jaggededge
There were no 4wd cars then, so its kind of silly to be driving 4wd cars in a Vintage Trans Am series. At least that was my first thought when I read over the rules.
I don't think any would stop you from setting up a RC10DS. Have at it!

Snowy.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Essnowyt
I don't think any would stop you from setting up a RC10DS. Have at it!

Snowy.
hardy har har..

Last edited by jaggededge; 10-26-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

TwinBridges rc raceway in Eldridge IA is racing indoors on the carpet this winter season.The class,s are carpet oval,onroad,vta,sc truck,we started the indoor season october 10th 2010.Twinbridges offers a very nice place to race and a well ran racing program,so if any of you racers are looking for a place to race this winter come and check it out.Hope to see you there.

www.twinbridgesrc.com .
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Csquared
Interesting thread. I started racing 1/12th scale in the 80's in the basement of the local hobby shop. When that closed I found trackside. During college in the late 90's I raced at trackside 3 times a week, studying between heats. I made some great friends and had a really great time. One of the most affordable classes we raced was the rc10L3 Touring - pan cars with touring car bodies. We ran them 6 cell, mabuchi motors, and "blue" foams. They were faster than stock touring cars but needed nothing all season.

Now that my children are older I wanted to go racing again. I bought a SCT from trackside to try out offroad. SCT is about as far as you can get from 1/12th scale. I only ran the truck a couple times at the track. It is just is not as interesting to me. I have come to realize now is someone else's golden age of racing, mine was in the past and I can't go back.
Hey I used to come from madison to race 1/12 scale at cudahy news & hobby in there basement in the late 80's and early 90's is this the place you raced at? we had a blast at that place it was real tight and fun for 12 scales. It was a skill driving track. You really had to be a good driver to do good at that track. If I remember right they changed the layout every week. I really miss that place!!! At that time our track was called Midwest R/C Hobbies & Raceway on Monona dr. Cool!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kghills
It will be dead if people let it die. MARCCA is still around. If there is interest and people willing to make it happen please post your ideas and opinions to the indoor onroad thread I started in the MARCCA forum. We ran onroad three times in the spring this year. See if we can put together a program for this season.

Thanks, Keith and Jason
I hope an indoor facility is found soon, I would like to join up and race my Mini -

I bought it to run at RC Performance, a couple of years ago but the class died. I loved the class, its all spec, very in expensive to get in and maintain.

I bash around my neighborhood right now.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Check out Bamboo they will have there track up and running soon.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

Umm..... That would be Baraboo not Bamboo typing on a phone is hard.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think that eventually on road racing will return to main stream, its just going to take a true "new" break through to get it back. But, if you are willing to travel a little farther north than the Madison area you can find on road racing at 3 facilities within 45 minutes of Wausau.

For some Mini racing see Small World racing in Stevens Point

For Road Course and scale see Wausau R/C Racers

and

For Oval action see KDM hobby running in Dorchester

All 3 of these tracks have multiple classes to suit your on road needs and they are all run by great people. I know 1st 2 places also run some other stuff too but for the on road purpose of this thread, this is what they are most known for!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.