Track directory ?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
MER
Tech Rookie

Default Track directory ?

I'm new here, but I did a search and couldn't find a track directory anywhere. Is there one here somewhere? If not, do you guys think we should have one here? Perhaps just a sticky post on which people can add their track information? Perhaps one in each of the region forums to list tracks in that region?

Edit: Oops, posted in wrong forum. Wanted this in the Wisconsin & Illinois Racing forum. Can a mod move this? Sorry.

Last edited by MER; 06-29-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: mod move request
Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 AM
MER
Tech Rookie

Nevermind. I found a track directory thread with a link to Google Maps where anyone can add track information. Great start! Seems a lot of tracks exist on the east coast. Need to get the midwest ones filled in!

So, if you know of a track, add it in! The thread is in the General Forums -> Track Locator Forum - first sticky
Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MER View Post
Nevermind. I found a track directory thread with a link to Google Maps where anyone can add track information. Great start! Seems a lot of tracks exist on the east coast. Need to get the midwest ones filled in!

So, if you know of a track, add it in! The thread is in the General Forums -> Track Locator Forum - first sticky
The only issue with that map is it takes people to update it

I think its already out of date.

where are you located specifically?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM
MER
Tech Rookie

Carol Stream, IL
Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MER View Post
Carol Stream, IL
there's no shortage of good tracks nearby. If you have to drive an hour or less you are pretty lucky. Many people drive a lot more than that to race once in a while.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 AM
MER
Tech Rookie

The problem is trying to find out about them. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a few years off. I've found the track I used to race at is closed so I've been trying to find others around. Browsing these forums I've learned of a few but I still wonder if there are others a bit closer than what I've found.

So, that is why I started this thread. I wanted to see if there is some kind of track directory somewhere. I then found that Google map and thought I struck gold and was starting to add tracks I found in my area but then Drusillus says it is out-dated. So, I don't know a good solution. Perhaps just a sticky in these forums?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I didn't mean to imply that is was factually out of date.

I just mean that without knowing for sure that it is being kept up you don't know if it's any more accurate than a phone-book from 2003

One thing I know for fact is that Hobby Shops & R/C Tracks in general do not build their web presence in a way that makes it easy to find.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
MER
Tech Rookie

Yeah, that's a shame. They should realize that they could get a lot more racers to their track if they were easier to find online.

I've found a couple r/c track directory websites but they all seem to be very out of date. Nearly every track listed that was close to me was a track that no longer exists.