Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Drivers Meeting - The Track @ Harbor Hobbies Wed 07 July 7:30 PM >

Drivers Meeting - The Track @ Harbor Hobbies Wed 07 July 7:30 PM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drivers Meeting - The Track @ Harbor Hobbies Wed 07 July 7:30 PM

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default The Track - 2010 Winter Carpet Schedule and Classes

OK, Here we go.

First, I would like to thank everyone that contributed to the discussions both on-line and at the meeting tonight. For those of you that were scared off by the weather we had a guest appearance by the one and only Mark Sweeney.

I'm posting duplicate messages here, in our normal thread, and probably a new thread with the same title as this post.

Racing

Onroad
Tuesday Nights 7:00 PM Start. 2 qualifiers and mains.
Sundays: Doors at 8 or 9 AM. 12:00 Start. 3 qualifiers and mains.

Offroad
Friday Nights: 7:00 PM Start. 3 qualifiers and mains.

Stay tuned for practice days. Saturday and Monday on-road practice for sure.

We don't have a definitive start date for the season just yet but our asphalt program will run into October so figure mid to late October. We'll probably look to get started in time to get ready for the Halloween Classic.

I will say this - if folks want to start running Tuesday nights - let me know.

Now, about Saturday nights. I would love to be proven wrong, but based on what we know now we just don't see enough folks to support a Saturday and Sunday race program. We chose Sunday because we have had more success with Sunday's in the winter than Saturday.

With regard to Tuesday nights. It was down to Tues and Wed. Pretty much a coin flip. We chose Tuesday, to be honest, because a lot of racer's wives and girlfriends were already used to them being gone on Tuesday night.

Classes

So, this is a little more difficult. We tried to find the right mix of classes that we can promote to serve the most people.

Mini's: TCS rules. We won't be teching motors but let's keep it reasonable ok?
VTA: USVTA 25.5 rules.
1/12th scale: 13.5, open speedo. We chose 13.5 to try and get as many people on the track at once as we could and if we get enough guys we can always split into 2 classes. We can always go back to 17.5 and 13.5 or mod but again, we wanted to get more cars on track at once. The cars are very drivable with 13.5 so hopefully this will go well.
17.5 TC: 17.5, open speedo, spec tire (see below)
Sport Stock GT: 21.5 open speedo OR 17.5 controlled speedo, spec tire (both motor classes - see below), GT or sports car or racing car bodies - no TC shells. There may be a gearing restriction, we are working on that.

OK - about Sport Stock GT. We see stock class racing is a bridge between VTA and the land of unrestricted speedos or a class for guys who enjoy racing but not on unlimited terms (read that as $$$). Awesome. We also have guys that want to race the usgt type classes (sometimes known as rcgt). We are trying to find the balance point to these groups of racers without diluting the classes down to 3 guys every time out. This is our attempt. Guys with existing equipment can race with guys coming up from VTA and everyone can co-exist. If enough folks show up for this class we can split into a TC class and a GT class, but they can always run together. For now though, we will promote this as a non TC class. We want it to be a little different.

Tires for this class will be a spec pre-mounted tire that Eric is working offer at a good price. For series races or special events, we will conform to the tire rules for that series, but for everyday racing we feel that a pre-mounted slick will be better (I know, its not scale looking...) value in the long run and also allow someone to step up to 17.5 TC without necessarily buying new tires. Again, this is the starting point. Again, if we can develop the classes to the extent we have enough racers to split we will look at it again. I know we are not going to make everyone happy with this one, but no matter how we configure this that's going to be the case. Work with us and I'm sure it will all work out. Let the flames begin....

If you don't see your favorite class (F1 and wgt I'm looking at you) that doesn't mean we can't or won't race it. It means that we don't see enough regular turnout to promote it as one of our regular classes. Again, we would LOVE to be proven wrong. We would like to see 5 to get a class going but if you and a couple buddies show up for racing you know we can usually work something out. If you have a favorite class and want it added as a feature of the program, show up and race it, help grow it. Ya gotta come out and race that class on a regular basis to help us grow it. We'll help promote it, but you have to meet us half way. If someone new calls up and we say 'Yea - there's F1!' and a new F1 racer shows up and no one else is here, that's a tough spot for us.

Tires

VTA, minis, 12th scale - I think everyone knows what to do, right?

We are working hard to get a spec tire in that offers good performance and longevity at a cost point lower than we are used to with Jaco Blues. At $40 a set they're getting a a little pricey, even if they do last a while. Eric has contact a couple of companies. Goop did some testing tonight with 1 brand and compound that looked very promising. We will have a compound for 17.5 TC and one for sport stock. Look for more info soon.

Well, that's about it. We will have more information on details as we progress towards carpet season.

Now, as racers we like to endlessly debate stuff. Especially since all the new speedo stuff. Let's keep the shouting to a dull roar. This is the starting point for the season and we will roll from there.

michael.

Last edited by mikel33; 07-07-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How much are the Sweep Kitty Rug tires that Goop was running last night?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sorry I didn't make it out last night. I only have 2 classes to worry about and I felt that they wouldn't be changed or the days racing would be changed either. That's 1 reason why I didn't make it out, 2nd reason why is I felt that since I will not be racing or even practicing indefinately until I get a job that my input was null and void.

I like the way the shedule looks, wide selection of classes for both on road and off road. Whenever I land a job you can bet I will be back there racing on Friday and Sunday. I might end up racing every other Sunday and Teusday alternating weeks.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is it possible to set an official fall season "opener" race date? Or is that something to be decided closer to the fall? Mainly due to the race days I'm trying to get an idea of how much I will be able to race this winter.

I'll be at the track just about every week as usual but race time might be at a premium for me.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Is it possible to set an official fall season "opener" race date? Or is that something to be decided closer to the fall? Mainly due to the race days I'm trying to get an idea of how much I will be able to race this winter.

I'll be at the track just about every week as usual but race time might be at a premium for me.
Steve, we're working on that. Eric and I talked for a while about that last night. We need to see how all of the series races shake out as far as dates and we're trying to do something a little special to kick the season off.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Classes

How is the turn out for Mini's?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
How much are the Sweep Kitty Rug tires that Goop was running last night?

Hey Steve, if the "fuzzy kitty" is the choice then the shop price will be about $26-$27 a set, however if it turns out to be the QTS series then it wil be $27-$28 a set. I am still waiting for another mfg to answere my inquiries and availibilty.

I really hope to have the tire(s) locked in by the end of the month.

I also want to thank everyone who was in attendance last night, it was a very informative and constructive discussion from everyone who was here.

With everything else that is going on here at the shop and track, with the new season there will also be some new pricing structures. (I know, you guys are thinking this is already to expensive), no prices will go up except for family practice, which was $7, that will now be $10. Single practice will be the same as always at $7.

Weekday racing prices will go down for non-points series, Tuesday's, to $10 first class, run as much as you want for $15 with 2 quals and mains as Mike has already posted. Weekend series will stay at $15 with 3 quals and mains as will Friday nights.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dirt Racer
How is the turn out for Mini's?

Thanks
Our turn out for mini's was very consistent last year. We had a full heat almost every Sunday. I think out top turnout was 16 for a club race. We had more than that for a couple of events.

I'm certain it will be a solid class again this year. We have several people that caught the 'mini' bug.

michael.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I see Friday night off-road but don't see anything in regards to regulations for Short Course trucks. Are you canning the short course program on Fridays?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

The Friday Offroad is still racing. As far as I know everything is and will be the same. The guys just need to show up to race.