Like Tree1Likes

JORROC days

Old 11-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys, hopefully reviving an old thread here and seems fitting to me for my first post to the forums

I am returning to the hobby (now with my son) after about a 15'ish year break...

I lived in Lemont and got started in RC with the Lemont Dirtburners RC Club. My Dad and I were members and put some sweat equity into building/grooming the track, etc. Probably the most memorable thing for me in the hobby was simply the people and how evenly everyone was treated. It didn't matter how old you were, how rich/poor you were, or what you did "in real life", for a few hours each weekend everyone was enjoying something special together.

I am hoping to recapture this with my son, and it seems the new Leisure Hours Raceway is just the place to do it.

Keeping the thread on track, I know most of these have been already mentioned but here is my list, best that I can remember from a kid at the time

Mid/Late '80s through early '90s Tracks:
Lemont Dirtburners (Lemont, IL.)
JOROCC (Joliet, IL.)
Thunderdome (Joliet, IL.)
Orland Hobbies Raceway (Orland Park, IL.)
Remotely Daytonas (Alsip, IL.)
C&C Raceway (Kankakee, IL.)
RadioActive Raceways, Bolingbrook, IL

Took a small break and when touring cars came into vogue I did some indoor carpet racing...

Trying to remember the exact location but we used to do indoor 1/10th, 1/12th pan car and 1/10th touring car at some high school on carpet mostly with folks from Al's Hobbies but I can't remember which school.

Also indoor carpet at the old Leisure Hours Raceway in Joliet was pretty awesome.

Mid/Late '80s through early '90s Hobby Shops:

Phil's Hobbies (Woodridge, IL.) Home of Phil Sroka who was an awesome airbrush artist and quite a few of his cars were featured in RCCA in the '80s. Phil paid me $25 if I remember correctly to assemble RC10s for customers. A dream job for a 14-15 year old!

Orland Hobbies (Too many towns to list Everyone from the Chicagoland area I am sure has crossed paths with Ed Stanley in one way or another. My Dad also delivered the dirt that was used to build his albeit short lived RC track. A trip to Orland Hobbies was always "an experience".

Wilma's Hobbies (Lyons, IL.) Small, short lived hobby shop, but of particular significance to me in that my Dad bought me my first RC10 (6016 kit w/full bearings), Futaba Magnum Junior and a Novak NESC4 ESC from there. Needless to say, Christmas 1986 was legendary.

LaGrange Hobbies (Lagrange, IL.) Got my first "real" RC car from there for my birthday. A wonderful specimen, a silver Monogram Lightning. Kids today will never know what a "slow charger" really means.

Al's Hobby Shop (Elmhurst, IL.) A staple of the racing community where you always could get some of the latest and greatest tech.

Alsip Hobbies (?) (Alsip, IL.) Didn't make it here often but always had a bunch of cool racing items as well. If I remember correctly I think I conned my Mom into buying me an MIP transmission and universals here during one trip which was a nice score.

Downers Grove Hobbies (Downers Grove, IL.) Was more of a model/plane store but you could sometimes get parts here in a pinch.

Thanks for listening folks!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Here is an old photo from our JOROCC racing days.

Phil, Jim, Todd, Steve, Bernie, Don, Jodi, Tim.....even the infamous Stewart Kay that I raced with!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TexMexSu View Post
Here is an old photo from our JOROCC racing days.

Phil, Jim, Todd, Steve, Bernie, Don, Jodi, Tim.....even the infamous Stewart Kay that I raced with!
Looks like John Koonce in the center with the T-Shirt tucked in. Then there is John Kenny with the blue tank top.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

More nostalgia can be found here... http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...acks-list.html.

I guess we need to revive these threads every couple of years to remind us what things were like when "real men" raced R/C.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mark.davis View Post
Then there is John Kenny with the blue tank top.

That was the day John drove in with the Kyosho Blizzard (front row on the left) strapped to the top of his car!

T-shirt days!
Old 08-10-2018, 06:22 AM
Who
Tech Apprentice

So many great days of racing at JOROCC