Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
REDLINE RC RACING,Southern Il.OVAL,OFFROAD,etc. >

REDLINE RC RACING,Southern Il.OVAL,OFFROAD,etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

REDLINE RC RACING,Southern Il.OVAL,OFFROAD,etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What has been the car count so far?
Has there been any 2WD Off-Road trucks showing up?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

two slashes, a 4whl, a truck, and a gt2 all showed up for our 1/10th scale class saturday
Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Cool. Whats the tire of choice at Redline?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

well it really depends on the weekend. sometimes traction is decent, others it's so so. I'd say a step pin or bow ties would be safe tires to bring right now.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

What time does everything start Saturday?
Also, are the Slashes bein run as Box Stock?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

practice starts whenever larry or i say it's cool, usually it's fine as soon as you get there. signups start sometime after 11 and close at 1:30. racing starts at two.

as for slashes, we don't have enough of one group atm, and we just run electric 1/10th scale together, no motor limit. there is a huge difference in skill between everyone too.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Whats the earlist we can get there? I was at Redline a couple times last year with crap vehicles. But now ive got a half way decent vehicle. And iam really looking at the Slash.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

You can be at the track as early as your heart desires, but the hobby shop doesn't open till 11.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have the whoops tamed down some after the rain? You know the whoops actually grew on me, I think I may even like them a little.
Well hope you guys have fun this weekend I will try and make it out for my sons B-day the following weekend he said he wants to race for his birthday... He will be 7. I think he is officially Redlines Youngest Racer. I cant wait for him to win a race he will probably pee his self.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

(this is ashton by the way) I haven't seen the woops wince the rain(whoops) but I'll be out there either today or friday. I personally thought that once the two disrupting bumps were taken out it was a neat section.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ldp787
nitrosteve, I thought I'd go ahead and answer your tires question over here rather than our other thread. AKA -cityblocks, Proline- crimefighters, revolvers, bowties and holeshots. Probably in that order. The AKA stuff is very quality, good foam inserts, wear good and not much rubber to clean up from the mold.
LDP- Question for ya... Do you adjust tire compound to the track, or stick with your favorite compound and adjust the tire type? Or just all of the above?

I'm hoping to piece together a new buggy soon, I'm about 80% there and have already started picking up tires.

Thanks bro!
Old 05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Cool Redline

Question for the massas....

Will the off-road track at Redline ever hit the same quality surface as it did last year? The few times I came out last year, the track seemed perfect and consistant about early evening... Starting earlier this year may affect it becuase of more time the sun hitting the track keeping it dry.

Not that the track would be worse, but tire selection may not need to be shifted as far towards clay?.

LOL, but then again, this will be my first full season off-road, it probably doesn't matter.

((((((((((((ATTN: RC8 OWNERS)))))))))))))
I have a small handful of NIP RC8 parts including 1 stock air filter set, front upper and lower arms, engine mount (looks like it might be the RTR version) and I believe a upper plate that would house the steering rack assembly....

All yours for one race day entry fee....

Last edited by aaron2u; 05-03-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

i'm not ldp but i can answer your question.

the basic principle with tires goes like this:

with a softer track use a harder compound, pin type tire. the harder compound with the added longer pins will penetrate the surface better and give you more traction. round pins will give you a more consistent feel as far as traction(straight + corners), while blocks will give maximum grip forwards, and be a little less consistent in the turns. use a tall pin tire also in situations where there is a lot of dust on top of the racing surface, hard compound with a soft track, soft compound for a hard track. another downside to having a longer pin though, obviously, is the pins actually rolling over, so the choice on what you use is really up to r&d by you.

with a harder type surface, like clay, you'll actually use a softer compound and smaller pins/blocks. depending on the way the track is(clear or dusty) you'll use different types. long sideways blocks will give more forward traction, while lacking a bit through the turns. blocks and pins are always gonna be the more consistent tread pattern.

of course there are always different tracks that people sometimes use oddball tires that work, so just ask the fast guys(not me) lol. and this is just a small small portion of how to select tires off the top of my head. just try everything man.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaron2u
LDP- Question for ya... Do you adjust tire compound to the track, or stick with your favorite compound and adjust the tire type? Or just all of the above?

I'm hoping to piece together a new buggy soon, I'm about 80% there and have already started picking up tires.

Thanks bro!
There are many variables, how much money is in your pocket, hard pack, hard pack w/loose on top, moist, moist w/loam, rutty, etc. etc.... Length of main, qualifying etc. etc..... There are so many options it seems to choosing the appropriate tire.

If you can swing it, get PL Revolvers, AKA City blocks, AKA I-Beams and AKA Grid Irons all in m2/medium compounds and you'll get good tire life and be set for 99% of racing at Redline and most other tracks. Yes there are conditions where the Soft compound will be better but disciplined driving (throttle finger not always pinned) and having the right tread pattern is much more important IMHO than worrying about compounds. However, yes I'm a tire whore and like to have a soft set and medium set.

To answer your question though, I adjust compound and tread pattern based on surface conditions and length of main and qualifying.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ldp787
There are many variables, how much money is in your pocket, hard pack, hard pack w/loose on top, moist, moist w/loam, rutty, etc. etc.... Length of main, qualifying etc. etc..... There are so many options it seems to choosing the appropriate tire.

If you can swing it, get PL Revolvers, AKA City blocks, AKA I-Beams and AKA Grid Irons all in m2/medium compounds and you'll get good tire life and be set for 99% of racing at Redline and most other tracks. Yes there are conditions where the Soft compound will be better but disciplined driving (throttle finger not always pinned) and having the right tread pattern is much more important IMHO than worrying about compounds. However, yes I'm a tire whore and like to have a soft set and medium set.

To answer your question though, I adjust compound and tread pattern based on surface conditions and length of main and qualifying.

Right on... I've picked up a handful of Crimes, Holeshot's and Inside Job's... I'll burn these up then make the switch to AKA's if I can swing it.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.