Like Tree3Likes

The old tracks list

Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by turbobuick6
Did you work at VW financial by chance,

i remember racing when i was like 10 at the LZ post office track, then the NIRROC at Birchwood park in Palatine with the 1/12 scale, that was always a pretty big turnout, and then venture raceways. in between some of those tracks we raced slotcars, It was funny that most of them were r/c people also.
No, I did not. There was a guy named Brian who ran a club (no landed track) called Chicago R/C Club back around 2003 - 2004. He had an indoor go-kart track race at Chicago Indoor Racing in early 2004. I think he worked for a barrington car dealership.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
This makes me kinda sad...
Me and my brother wired their operations going on there now where AJ's was. I only practiced there a few times in 1990 with my Associated 12L which I still have and broke at Underground a few years ago.
They said there was not a 1/12 class and made fun of me because I used electrical tape on my 6 cells I made in a pyramid to fit the car. Called me hillbilly racing . I can't deny it though, punks.
They said they tore up the carpet, pit area and stand and it's all storage now.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Skimming this old thread..

Marty's RC in Bradley, if not already mentioned.

Someone brought up C&C in Kankakee.. one of my fonder memories in RC. The guy that ran it that accused me of cheating several times because I always beat his chunky little son/nephew/whatever who would then throw a fit and complain. Finally got him to trade cars one night and beat him with his own car.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

racing with nirocc when world hobbies was in the little strip mall next to the theater in carpentersville 81-82 before they moved west 6 cell 1/12 asphalt you bet and 1/8scale pan cars at cherry valley and wedenesday night practice sessions in crystal lake park district building.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

i remember a race during the Boone County Fair way back..the track was near a sweeper for the full size Short Course Trucks had be to be mid eighties.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by silentassassin
i remember a race during the Boone County Fair way back..the track was near a sweeper for the full size Short Course Trucks had be to be mid eighties.
Yet we did that race couple of times. The track was next to the grandstands, that was a fun time. I remember we camped at the Yogi bear campground that was nearby, I think I still have my trophies from that race
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

i remember someone had a minivan... with the hatch fully open..... facing the fence.....during short course practice and was full of short course roost
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I heard Monee RC raceway was closed but just looked them up,their open still. Thats a clay oval track.

Wimpy's hobby world/River Valley Raceway in Bradley,IL
Old 02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
This makes me kinda sad...
That place was a blast to race at. You can almost make out the onroad course still

I think one of the last summer races I did there my car was the only one that had a brushless system and Lipo. Now I'm back in the mix and that combo is the norm.

Was I the only one who thought of Children of the Corn driving near there during the summer? LOL
Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mt Drew
I heard Monee RC raceway was closed but just looked them up,their open still. Thats a clay oval track.
Nope, never closed, still racing strong. I will be racing electric there this Saturday. Still one of the best clay oval tracks in the country.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I been out for nearly 20 years now or so.

Ran metro fast religiously
Ran Nirroc every week, still have 30-40 trophies in the garage

There was another track on st charles rd 1/4 mile down from augustions next to village brook apts. didnt last long

If anyone knows Brian Jucha, we raced together every week at metro fast and he would stomp and scream MARSHALL EVERY LAP and he had killer funding as well, his grandmother

My corrally sp12 is sitting next to me, circa 1988

I am very tempted to race leisure hours but I miss 12th scale on road. Is 10th scale 2wd still hot?

Where is Greg Brown, Dieter, James Arnold and so forth?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How about some downstate sites? The Shiloh concrete oval in the 90's as well as indoor carpet. Well before that the dirt offroad at RJ's in Murphysboro in the late 70's and early 80's. How about Ace's in the Metro East area.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Some old tracks I raced at.

J.O.R.O.C.C- Joliet,IL
Thunderdome- 1/12th carpet, dirt oval and off-road-Joliet,IL
Chaney School-1/12th carpet Crest Hill,IL
Morris,IL 1/10th oval on the gym floor.
Leisure Hours when it was off of Theodore in Joliet,IL

There were also a couple other indoor carpet tracks in Joliet back in the 80's. I think Bernie H. ran them.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by KDagh1
Does anybody remember that there was an off-road track in Park Ridge on public park grounds? Yep. It was there from 1988 - 1990 ish? Maybe thru 1991. It was on Cumberland and pretty close to 90. The park was big but the r/c track was encircled by a fence and large. The drivers stand was in the middle and you had to walk around the drivers stand to follow your car around the lap. Hills Hobbies (also gone) used to have a few races per year there.

Yup I remember that. That was in my Hornet days! Wow been such a long time since I heard that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.