Like Tree3Likes

The old tracks list

Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Arlington Hobbies Track in the Arlington Heights Park District (off road track)

Glenwood School for Boys (nothing like racing 1/12th scale at a youth home, #1 rule - don't leave cigarette butts on the ground, the boys will be all over them)

Bernies/LH track next to the self storage place on Theodore in Plainefield (yes! carpet off road!)

Then there was the closed Jr. High school off of route 53 in Crest Hill. 1/12th scale carpet track in the Gym. Drivers stand was the stage area. Nice balcony for spectators.

& many, many more
Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

GNR Raceway in Highwood Il.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow these old tracks definitely bring back some memories. The tracks I raced it back in 1988 through 1990 were Remotely Daytona's in Alsip and Four Seasons in Bridgeview (after Daytona's closed). Orland Hobbies did open a track in Mokena, but it didn't last very long.

Just revived my vintage RC10 (new battery pack and charger and AA battery pack for receiver. Would like to hit the Leisure Hours Raceway in Joliet just to try it.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (95%+)

Let's see.....the old post office in Lake Zurich had a nice indoor offroad. The track by the Machesney Park fire station was fun. I don't know if they still run at the oval in Machesney Park - great 1/4 scale racing.
The Salvation Army gym in Janesville, was sponsored by The Hobby Shop on Court St. - was a great place to go and buy parts and the owner would throw in stuff to get you going.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I grew up racing at Hobbytown in McHenry before they moved... and then later worked at Hopkins Hobbies and raced there as well! I miss the good old days and the road racing at Hopkins in Century Plaza
Old 05-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I remeber there being a track or 2 in Downers Grove. It was in these little white warehouses, there was a indoor offroad track there for sure. Thats the only one I can remeber, never saw the other tracks that were supposed to be there. But it was a nice little track with a hobbyshop as well. Have no clue what the name was, I believe it was off of 75th street.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Radio active
AJ's
Liesure Hours Now and when they were out off Rt.59 we used to race Carpet Off Road. That was good fun.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Kevin Kane if you don't shout out Stanton Hobbies shame on you. Between you Cory and Kowalski I would laugh all day while learning to race on sticky dirt Good times indeed
Old 05-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Default Ha...one NOBODY has mentioned.

Does anybody remember that there was an off-road track in Park Ridge on public park grounds? Yep. It was there from 1988 - 1990 ish? Maybe thru 1991. It was on Cumberland and pretty close to 90. The park was big but the r/c track was encircled by a fence and large. The drivers stand was in the middle and you had to walk around the drivers stand to follow your car around the lap. Hills Hobbies (also gone) used to have a few races per year there.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Cool thread! There are only a few tracks that I've been too, but I don't remember the names/clubs

Next to Augustio's in Carol Stream there is a carpet place that at one time had a carpet oval track there. It was across the street from GEM gokarts. Also, I remember at GEM, I used to by gokart parts, they had pan car parts as well.

Racing at HadleyJr high in glen ellyn, which I never went attended, eventhough I went to High School in the same 'hood. Reason being is that I went to the track listed below instead

There was a few weekends of racing at the hotel on roosevelt and Finley.
And I can't leave out Radio Active raceways, which was the track that I freqented the most. ('95-97)
Old 05-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Location: Naperville, Illinois- on to Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana Racetracks!
Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

I love this thread. It should be stickied permanently to the top for all the old timers!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Did anyone mention:

C&C raceway in Kankakee? That is where I ran my first Stealth transmission in my RC10!

And.... what about the Leisurehours parking lot races?

OR....Gonzo raceway in Valpo?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stg099
I rememebr Hopkins, that was the one! but before that it was J&S hobbies I think
I remember it being "World Hobbies" when it was just outside the West Dundee Mall "Spring Hill Mall". Then they moved south to a strip mall about a mile or two away. Then I believe they became Hopkins Hobbies.
kufman likes this.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stg099
Man I rememeber Metro-Fast, but vaguely. I brought my Nikko buggy there, and installed a set of blue foam tires with dad. As soon as I put the car on the track, it was obvious that the wheels wernt sitting on teh axle pins, and as soon as I hit the gas, the pins went flying out and ended the day.

Also used to race at Hobbytown in McHenry, Radioactive, Cherry Valley, and a hobbyshop in West Dundee, can't remember the name of it though.
+1 for memories at Metro-Fast. I had a blackfoot with the full Thorp Kit running a Trinity Machine Would Monster mash motor. I refused to run lunchbox or Midnight pumpkin wheels on by Blackfoot, even if it was an advantage. The Blackfoot was an upgrade from my World Engine Rockbuster (Grasshopper clone), and eventually the Blackfoot upgraded to the new JR-XT (where it had to run in truck CONVERSION even though it was sold out of the box as a truck.)

My buddie was running an RC10 with Hyperdrive belt system. THAT was cool.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default ?

rc motorplex in lakemoor nuf said well atleast before bob davis and jim redler drove it into the ground

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.