Like Tree3Likes

The old tracks list

Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

How about the small indoor dirt track in Aurora, just down from the drive-in movie theater?

The Oswego track was inside the industrial park off of 34 maybe a mile west of 30. There was also a TINY offroad track also in a industrial park off 30 across from where the KMart used to be. It was very short lived, and I would be surprised if anyone here ever heard of it.

Last edited by TC_Tuner; 11-02-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Location: Naperville, Illinois- on to Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana Racetracks!
Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

[Quote]
Lemont Dirt Burners
JORROC in Joliet
"Lisle R/C Club" (don't really remember the name)
A place I think was called Chicagoland Hobbies with a tiny little track in back that had a plywood banked turn that was about 8 feet high?
Metro Fast (my favorite on-road track ever)
Radio Active Raceways (my favorite off-road track ever)
Four-seasons in Bridgeview

My favorites were favorites because I had a good time racing there, not necessarily because they were the best tracks in the area.

Radio-Active was my favorite off-road also. As you mentioned, the track itself may not have been the best, but it was always a lot of fun. I think Jim did a good job of balancing out the hobby/basher crowd with the serious racer crowd. The Marshall-less races were always good times too.

Even though I lived pretty close to Metro-fast, I was too young to really do much RC-ing there (although I did have fun checking it out a few times)
Originally Posted by Timmahhh
Was RMR the one up in Libertyville or something? I remember one being up north, but I couldn't think of the name.

Radio-Active was my favorite off-road also. As you mentioned, the track itself may not have been the best, but it was always a lot of fun. I think Jim did a good job of balancing out the hobby/basher crowd with the serious racer crowd. The Marshall-less races were always good times too.

Even though I lived pretty close to Metro-fast, I was too young to really do much RC-ing there (although I did have fun checking it out a few times)

The Lisle track was the "Lisle Off-Roaders"... the spot on which that track was is now a waterslide at the Lisle Pool!!! Jim went on to open Radio-Active. Glad people have fond memories, I'll mention it to him (I know him well!)

Maybe if I win the lotto I'll open another track up...

Seriously! Marshall-less is the way to go. I've never seen to many trigger-happy people drive like Grandmas. I think even McDonough may have perfected his driving a lil bit there!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I never saw these marshalless races. How did they go. Was it a special feature, or was it all3 qualifiers and mains every week. Or do you get to marshall yourself?
Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey....maybe you should try it then

They were just a single race. We would toss in a couple bucks each and run the track backwards with no marshals. If you crashed you were done unless someone knocked you back over or out of the tube.

We also would have races where it was the same idea but there was one guy out there that was not racing but his job was to take people out....that was cool too.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by McDonough

They were just a single race. We would toss in a couple bucks each and run the track backwards with no marshals. If you crashed you were done unless someone knocked you back over or out of the tube.

We also would have races where it was the same idea but there was one guy out there that was not racing but his job was to take people out....that was cool too.
There were a few "no marshall" nights as well. But mostly just an event between the qualifiers and the mains.

But what sort of scumbag would just take people out....

oh.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

We did 1 marshaless special heat in Oswego back in maybe 1993. marshaless and for 8 minutes. This was back when heats were normally 4 minutes.

When leerjet1 and son visited my track a couple weeks ago, they brought a Slash and we shared it during practice -- when you hit a pipe or spin out, you hand the controller over to the next driver. It was a fun way to share a vehicle and focus on careful driving.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer X79
Here's some for the Wisconsin guys....

R/C Raceways- Oak Creek, Wi (awesome indoor clay oval w/infield offroad)

All in One Hobby- Hales Corners, Wi (indoor dirt offroad...maybe oval too??)

Just a few I can think of from the area.
Wow talking about having a flashback! Yup those 2 tracks were the first "real" places I raced at. Let's see I was about 18 then so that make it about 18-20 years ago. That R/C Raceways in Oak Creek indus park was the best indoor oval I've ever seen to date yet. Anyone here one of those Ol' timers running a mod RC10 sprint back then? I just thought you guys and your cars where just the shizzz back then. Now wonder I still get a chubby to this day with RC oval's...
Old 11-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racer X79
Here's some for the Wisconsin guys....
All in One Hobby- Hales Corners, Wi (indoor dirt offroad...maybe oval too??)
Fun Place. I remember I always beat Randy Konruff there (I won't mention he was probably 12 or so).

Jim Lehman racing a new buggy that was so awesome - the new JRX2!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Metrofast Raceway and Hobbies. It was an old Venture store (Like Kmart, not the hobby shop) Menards wound up leasing it, and it's been a Menards ever since.

Originally Posted by nitro neil
What about the on-road track in Hanover Park? The name isn't coming to me, but it was next to a handy andy.
That place was awsome but I can't remember the name of it either.

There was also NIROC I think I spelled it correctly they ran in a gym on sundays. They would get like 100 guys running 12th scale they also had a offroad track in arlington heights.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Whoops! Didn't realize the question was answered 17 times already.

Does anybody remember the Marengo track back in the mid-late eighties?

There was a hobby shop back in Hoffman Estates at Barrington and Higgins that had a small indoor carpet track. I think the name of the shop was AJ's? I remember running my Optima there.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

. The Marshall-less races were always good times too.
How do you make a marshal-less race fun?

It sounds interesting.

I know a private race venue that does it. For race day with on road cars on their tight track in a gym they hold 10 total three minute races with 5 minutes in between each race. If you get stuck there's a good possibility another racer will tap you and you can get out, but if you are stuck good or upside down you are done for that race. It pretty much evens out for all ten races between all drivers because everyone gets stuck sometime.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
How do you make a marshal-less race fun?

It sounds interesting.

I know a private race venue that does it. For race day with on road cars on their tight track in a gym they hold 10 total three minute races with 5 minutes in between each race. If you get stuck there's a good possibility another racer will tap you and you can get out, but if you are stuck good or upside down you are done for that race. It pretty much evens out for all ten races between all drivers because everyone gets stuck sometime.
It was usually just a 1-race (maybe a couple heats with the winner being decided on laps) pre-main spectacle. Everyone would pay their 2 or 3 bucks, and most of it would pay out to the winner or pay for a big trophy. I remember the announcement before the race being something along the lines of "not only is hacking allowed, its encouraged". Generally there was team driving going on where you might help your buddy get un-stuck and then they would block for you roller-derby style. Being just one race, it usually had a good portion of the people in the pits watching, and there would be a lot of oohs and ahhs when a pass was to be made.

Was that Jim Ian earlier in this thread BTW?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

It was usually just a 1-race (maybe a couple heats with the winner being decided on laps) pre-main spectacle. Everyone would pay their 2 or 3 bucks, and most of it would pay out to the winner or pay for a big trophy. I remember the announcement before the race being something along the lines of "not only is hacking allowed, its encouraged". Generally there was team driving going on where you might help your buddy get un-stuck and then they would block for you roller-derby style. Being just one race, it usually had a good portion of the people in the pits watching, and there would be a lot of oohs and ahhs when a pass was to be made.
You are correct sir. Though there were a few entire marshall-less days.

Also a race where the tubes were christmas lights and the rest of the lights were off. An egg race (you break it, you lose!).. and tons of other fun stuff. Good times!

I don't remember much pre-race teaming, but once it started and people crashed there was a ton of: "I'll give you $5 to try to flip me over" or "I'll give you half to take out Jim Ian!"

Was that Jim Ian earlier in this thread BTW?
Maybe!

Who wants to know?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Showtime Racing
You are correct sir. Though there were a few entire marshall-less days.

Also a race where the tubes were christmas lights and the rest of the lights were off. An egg race (you break it, you lose!).. and tons of other fun stuff. Good times!

I don't remember much pre-race teaming, but once it started and people crashed there was a ton of: "I'll give you $5 to try to flip me over" or "I'll give you half to take out Jim Ian!"

Maybe!

Who wants to know?
I can't imagine anyone saying that. Probably because you (he?) were driving a Losi.

Tim wants to know

Sent you a PM
Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=Showtime Racing;5035670] or "I'll give you half to take out Jim Ian!"
QUOTE]

HALF

Maybe a soda....you think you were worth HALF!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.