Like Tree3Likes

The old tracks list

Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Dieter's place "Thunderdome" !!!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Also used to race at Hobbytown in McHenry, Radioactive, Cherry Valley, and a hobbyshop in West Dundee, can't remember the name of it though.
Happy Hands Hobby Shop?
Old 10-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Road Rage was the oldest I knew of. SHows how long I've been in this.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Happy hands was in elgin off of larkin the hobby shop in dundee was hopkins hobbies thats were i started racing when i was a kid
Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I remember Metro Fast. Me and my friend Ronnie would walk there and spend the day racing-I had a Tamiya Wild One & Blackfoot. Ronnie had a 12L and a Lunchbox.
My mom had dropped us off there one wintry day and Ronnie said he had 50cents for the pay phone to call his mom to come pick us up. Ronnie was a little on the Hefty side and he ended up spending all of his money on nachos and I didn't have any $$ left so we started to walk home in the snow. We stopped at a gas station and asked if we could use their phone and that's when we learned about collect calls. We were only 10-give us a break!
They used to have demolition races there too!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheesecake
Happy hands was in elgin off of larkin the hobby shop in dundee was hopkins hobbies thats were i started racing when i was a kid
I rememebr Hopkins, that was the one! but before that it was J&S hobbies I think
Old 11-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

wow im suprised that no one has mentioned Venture Raceways that later became RSJ Raceways

what was it named before Venture, i started racing there as the 2nd building was bought to make the pits and shop and the old building was made in to the track itself.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I believe it was R&M raceways.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nitro neil
I believe it was R&M raceways.
I think it was RMR Raceways, then Venture Raceways, and finally RSJ Raceways.

Here is another one for the history books that nobody has mentioned:

Superior Hobbies & Raceway, Champaign, IL (Across from the Kraft cheese factory)

It was a great track with really nice people (Austin Bailey, Scott, & a lot of good locals). That was one of my first 'true' r/c races.

Khal
Old 11-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Remember when commercial tracks weren't that common and racers like us formed clubs to race. I never actually joined one of those clubs but I frequently raced at their tracks.

Lemont Dirt Burners
JORROC in Joliet
"Lisle R/C Club" (don't really remember the name)
A place I think was called Chicagoland Hobbies with a tiny little track in back that had a plywood banked turn that was about 8 feet high?
Metro Fast (my favorite on-road track ever)
Radio Active Raceways (my favorite off-road track ever)
Four-seasons in Bridgeview

My favorites were favorites because I had a good time racing there, not necessarily because they were the best tracks in the area.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KDagh1
I think it was RMR Raceways, then Venture Raceways, and finally RSJ Raceways.

Here is another one for the history books that nobody has mentioned:

Superior Hobbies & Raceway, Champaign, IL (Across from the Kraft cheese factory)

It was a great track with really nice people (Austin Bailey, Scott, & a lot of good locals). That was one of my first 'true' r/c races.

Khal
Was RMR the one up in Libertyville or something? I remember one being up north, but I couldn't think of the name.
Originally Posted by beemerfan
Remember when commercial tracks weren't that common and racers like us formed clubs to race. I never actually joined one of those clubs but I frequently raced at their tracks.

Lemont Dirt Burners
JORROC in Joliet
"Lisle R/C Club" (don't really remember the name)
A place I think was called Chicagoland Hobbies with a tiny little track in back that had a plywood banked turn that was about 8 feet high?
Metro Fast (my favorite on-road track ever)
Radio Active Raceways (my favorite off-road track ever)
Four-seasons in Bridgeview

My favorites were favorites because I had a good time racing there, not necessarily because they were the best tracks in the area.
Radio-Active was my favorite off-road also. As you mentioned, the track itself may not have been the best, but it was always a lot of fun. I think Jim did a good job of balancing out the hobby/basher crowd with the serious racer crowd. The Marshall-less races were always good times too.

Even though I lived pretty close to Metro-fast, I was too young to really do much RC-ing there (although I did have fun checking it out a few times)
Old 11-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I raced mostly with NIRROC but before that raced with CORRA which was in a hotel (Hojos?) conference room. Even before that there was a track at the big indoor soccer place, the offroad track in Round Lake that I don't remember the name of... I also was at the place in Lake Zurich which was in the old post office, and the place in Lilymoore/Lakemoore that had the big outdoor oval and dirt track indoors as well as out. Was also one in Lake Villa right off of 83 that had a very tiny track.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
The Marshall-less races were always good times too.
I think those need to make a comeback!! Cash payout
Old 11-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

I have only been in rc for 4 years so it seems like alot of tracks have come and gone ....but i happen to live right near oswego and i was just wondering for you guys who use to race at midwest hobby trax .... where exactly in oswego was this track exactly, i'd like to know what subdivision is built on the old rc grounds
Old 11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Initiate

wallstreet no homes are there its about 2or so blocks past the 34 30 intr. were the chevy dealer is. on the rigth side going west. in a business park for the time it was a 1st class place. timmahhh who are you i was at the 95 nats plus the 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 before i took some time off.. some of the best times in rc...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.