Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Your Opinions Please! Re: Pit Stops, 8th Scale Buggy, Truggy, Nitro, Electric >

Your Opinions Please! Re: Pit Stops, 8th Scale Buggy, Truggy, Nitro, Electric

Your Opinions Please! Re: Pit Stops, 8th Scale Buggy, Truggy, Nitro, Electric

Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mfanke19
Ok, I have a new twist on this "mandatory pit stop" idea. This idea was phoned in to me a couple hours ago. One problem exists with trying to enforce the mandatory pit rule...that is the arguments and finger pointing that could happen afterward when one person accuses another person of not pitting when they really did...or not pitting long enough. Here is the solution...figure out the pit times ( let's call it 8 minutes, 5 seconds each ) then do a "stagger start" in the beginning of the race...holding back the electric cars that total amount of time. For example, for a 20 minute race, there would be two pit stops for anybody that can go 8 minutes between.

So when the horn blows on the 8th Scale Buggy A-Main, and all the Nitro cars take off...the electric cars hold back for 10 full seconds...then another horn blows and then you have the entire race to kick but, and nobody has to police the pit stops because you've already served your time.
Thats not a bad idea....how long are the 1/8th buggy A mains in this series?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Carbonman
no need to worry about pitting for you cause I'll be your pit b***h and get you out in 2 seconds flat
Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Carbonman
no need to worry about pitting for you cause I'll be your pit b***h and get you out in 2 seconds flat
Old 03-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
True true, but the real question is how do we go about doing that? I think we all agree mandating pit stops is a good idea. As for out on the track, I dunno, maybe a gear rule? MWNX Summer Legends did pretty good by limiting the range of pinion gears drivers could choose from to even up BL-versus-brushed cars, the idea might carry over to BL versus nitro. With some experimenting we could come up with a gear ratio that'll have the BL cars hanging right with the nitros, and allow only pinion gears that come within plus or minus a couple teeth of that ratio.
The advantage is not that BL is more powerful overall, its that with an electric motor you have exactly linear throttle control with instantaneous response and you have it no matter what the weather is doing.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would forget about holding em back at the start because that ruins the qualifing order. If an electric TQ's he shouldn't have to start in the back. You guys are acting like were all a bunch of untrustworthy low lifes. Just do the pit stop. I'm sure with all the people in the pits and with everyone watching the dirty rotten cheating electric car there will be enough witnesses to verify that a stop was made.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cowboy
I would forget about holding em back at the start because that ruins the qualifing order. If an electric TQ's he shouldn't have to start in the back. You guys are acting like were all a bunch of untrustworthy low lifes. Just do the pit stop. I'm sure with all the people in the pits and with everyone watching the dirty rotten cheating electric car there will be enough witnesses to verify that a stop was made.
Nobody said anything about untrustworthy low lifes. What sucks is you-the brushless guys-get points in the series. I wonder what Byrons and Jammin' think of this. They are the ones sponsoring this and they have NOTHING to do with electric racing. My opinion is brushless should be allowed to run and have fun. Heck, it might even be rewarding to lay the smack down on a brushless buggy with a nitro buggy. But to count for points in a Nitro series sponsored by Nitro companies....Not right. If someone was to win the points with a brushless, I would suspect the sponsors would be upset to see that their products weren't even attempted to be used. Why sponsor an event that displays your product inferior to another? My vote is to let them run together, just don't give the brushless guys points. What could be fun is to let them run together but have a separate points race. An electric points and a Nitro points. Similar to the Grand Prix where you have three different classes running at the same time. Now you have a race within a race. And don't make the electrics pit, just let 'em go. Then if you're running Nitro and you beat an electric guy, it's even more gratifying.

Doug, I can burn you copies of my flaming music collection if you want. Ha Ha!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Just my 9/10 of a cent worth...... Run it as you have and at the end of the 2008 season have the people that run in the effected classes vote on the issue. The problem with asking for input on a forum is you get people that this issue doesn’t even pertain to chiming in, and others just shooting their mouth off with things that don’t even have any thing to the topic of discussion. Either make the decision on your own or let the people in the class vote on the rule. No matter what you’re going to have unhappy people. Remember when RC was just a fun past time..... Then you had the great idea of starting up a series! Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

last i checked it was a NITRO series.......it is for NITRO racing.......if you want to race at club level races, great.....no worries......these are races promoted for nitro cars,

but again, do what you need to de and the racers will decide if they want to support your races...
Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Last I checked, It is for both electric and nitro, were just trying to figure out the pit stop thing. As for the sponsor thing maybe we should turn away ever one that isn't runnig a jammin, AE or Traxxas and burnig byron fuel or buying parts from Amain or taking the real car to A&M auto. Why would they want to sponser if no one is using their stuff.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Midwest Nitrocross announces the 2008 Jammin Midwest Nitro Series! Now
in our THIRD YEAR Racing Off-Road in Southern Wisconsin and Northern
Illinois!

Four Events, One Throwout

Round 1 ( Kickoff ), Saturday, May 17, Thunder RC, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
Round 2, Sunday, June 22, Dirt Dawgs, Heine Raceway, Elburn, Illinois
Round 3, Sunday, July 20, Cheese City Xtreme RC, Monroe, Wisconsin
Round 4 ( Finale ), Sunday, August 17, The Rock Pile, Madison,
Wisconsin
*Rain Dates for Every Event

$23 First Entry, $14 Add’l
3 qualifiers & 20+ minute A-Mains

Featuring Byron Fuels Contingency again for the second year! Marc and
Bobbi are putting up $1,500 for you to grab in 2008! Shane Hunt was
our big winner in Buggy and Truggy classes last year and he took home
$600 alone!

100% Payback to class winners at every race.

OVER $200 in cash and prizes awarded at every event!

OVER $750 in cash and prizes awarded at Kickoff and Finale!

OVER $4,000 in cash and prizes awarded all year!

Our sponsors ( so far ) are:
Jammin Products, A-Main Hobbies, Byron Fuels, Team Associated,
Traxxas, RCSignup.com, Cheese City Xtreme RC, Discount America Hobby
and Motorsports, A&M Auto, The Track @ Harbor Hobbies, Thunder RC,
Dirt Dawgs RC Club, S & N's Trackside Hobbies & Raceway.

Raceday Schedule:
8am-9:30am Registration & Practice
Racing at 10am

Classes:
8th Scale Buggy
8th Scale Truggy
Monster Truck
Smallblock Stadium*
*New for 2008, 10th Scale & 12th Scale, 2WD & 4WD including Jammin
CRT.5, Associated GT, etc.

For more information contact Matt Fanke:
Ph(262)496-6394
[email protected]

or check us out online at:
www.mwnx.com or www.rcsignup.com

this was copyed from the front page of the thread titled 2008 jammin nitro series.....it appears to be a nitro series to me, i may be missing something though as i am not real literate........

i know the rcpro wisconsin was allowing electric in with nitro trucks (10th scale) to help boost the class.....

i have no problems with the electric cars, i just think they should be in there own class at events like this...if you wanted to run with the masses, why did you build one of these.....also if we are talking about 1 or 2 guys, then this is not worth the discussion.....if we are talking about 5-10 cars, put them in their own class....
Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

have no problems with the electric cars, i just think they should be in there own class at events like this...if you wanted to run with the masses, why did you build one of these.....also if we are talking about 1 or 2 guys, then this is not worth the discussion.....if we are talking about 5-10 cars, put them in their own class....
I was told electrics will be allowed before I built it. Some of the tracks actually would prefer all electrics because of the nitro noise issue. Since there will probably be only a couple of these show up, I agree it's not worth the debate.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

it's not worth the debate.
I disagree. Within the realm of the original post on this topic all the poster did was ask a question and wanted opinions. I was under the impression he meant to ask his question in regards to racing in general. The topic then drifted to some big sponsored race and the impact of electric on that event.

Should I have assumed the original post was to debate what should happen at the big sponsored race?

there's a huge difference between club racing and a big race and what should and shouldn't be allowed.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Maybe Matt should clarify, is this for the series or not? If so, how do the sponsors feel about electric getting points in a nitro sponsored event? I plan and hope to run regardless. Pilgrim makes a valid point and their points should be separate like the GT.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last I checked, It is for both electric and nitro, were just trying to figure out the pit stop thing. As for the sponsor thing maybe we should turn away ever one that isn't runnig a jammin, AE or Traxxas and burnig byron fuel or buying parts from Amain or taking the real car to A&M auto. Why would they want to sponser if no one is using their stuff.
My point about the sponsors is this: If their products are not being promoted correctly, they might disapprove. Giving electrics points DOES NOT promote Jammin or Byrons Fuel or any other Nitro related product. These sponsors want Nitro guys to notice their product and perhaps give it a try. I'm sure they do not want their products competing in a series at a disadvantage. It's not fair. Brushless systems have a HUGE advantage. The power band is linear and predictable. Running elecs and nitros together for fun is cool. Come out and play, that's the whole idea. But Giving points to electrics in a series that wasn't designed for them is wrong.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I tried to post yesterday from work, but it wouldn't let me through Do you know how much that sucks to want to comment so bad, but you just can't do it for hours and hours? Then, I get home and other things took over and here I am at 6:45 the next day. Sorry guys.

Ok, let me clarify a couple things. I originally had no intention of this being a Midwest Nitrocross thread...it was only to get opinions in general of anybody racing nitro and electric together at any track. A couple days into the replies though it started drifting into the MWNX series.

I also had no idea that so many people would have so many strong opinions about this. I certainly didn't know we would end up with name calling and accusations But then again we could have ended up doing that on any message boards.

Every year with the series I try something a little different, and every year I pay attention as much as possible to the advice of those that take the time to talk to me at the races, email me, etc. In 2006 I had people telling me that 10 races was waay too much, that I should cut it down to once a month and the attendance would really jump. Well, last year I cut it down to 7, and the attendance did climb a bit. This year started out with 6 races, and due to unforseen difficulties we're down to 4 races for 2008. I think this year will be another learning year for us with regards to rules and enforcing them. For those of you that don't know, I try and base some of my rules on how Carlton has set up RCPRO rules, however if you've been to the MWNX rules page, there are not near as many rules.

I tried to set up Midwest Nitrocross to be an organized racing series that was fun for all, but not overly micro-managed. I didn't want to mess with all the "max engine size", "max wheelbase", "max weight", "max fuel capacity". In this latest situation however with the electric powered vehicles, I can see that for these vehicles to race together, we're going to have to look into the RCPRO rules a little bit as far as what to set this minimum weight to.

I'll look into it this weekend, and we will have a minimum weight set. At a big national race I suppose you tech every single car? But I'm not going to do that. Instead, we'll bring the equipment to every race so that we can tech them in the case of a protest. Because rightfully so...isn't it possible that a person could prepare a fully equipped nitro powered car and be UNDER that weight just like an electric car? Shouldn't I be inspecting every single car that enters?

As far as the sponsors go, what's wrong with competition? Jammin is our title sponsor this year, and Associated is another sponsor. They both have made a large investment in this series, but when everything is said and done and I'm examining the entries for the year, I bet the majority of drivers don't drive either one of those manufacturers vehicles. Who knows...if this electric thing takes off in 8th Scale, maybe this time next year we'll have a couple extra sponsors on board like Novak, or Tekin, or LRP, etc? It certainly can't HURT the hobby.

Somebody mentioned how bad it would be received if somebody tried to take a nitro car to an electric car race...and how this is the same thing. Well, here is my opinion. If you went to an electric race where they were racing Associated B44's and Losi XXX4's, you would probably not be allowed to throw down your 8th scale buggy, and rightfully so, they're not even the same classification of vehicle.

But in our case, we don't have people trying to compete with vehicles that are in a totally different classification. We don't have people here trying to race against you with a super lightweight 10th scale electric 4wd buggy. You own a 8ight, and HE owns an 8ight...it's just that HE has replaced his engine with an electric motor ( I know there is more to it ) but he still runs the same chassis plate, shocks, wheels, tires, body, etc.

I have set up a vote on the official Midwest Nitrocross message boards, if you want your opinion to really count, please take a few minutes and cast your vote there...

http://rc-racer.midwestnitrocross.co...ic.php?p=12420

If you're not a member of the messages boards, you'll have to register for an account and I will have you up and running in a few hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.