Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
2008 Hobbytown USA St. Charles Racing >

2008 Hobbytown USA St. Charles Racing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Hobbytown USA St. Charles Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Datsun are way out of the rules...
I'm sure nexus will try to sneak his 510 body in there somewhere
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I'm sure nexus will try to sneak his 510 body in there somewhere
That might be hard with no TC
Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
I do offer BUY BACK special......wait, I haven't pay you yet...right.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nexus
Geez, did I mention a chassis?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sorry guys, been just lurking in the forums lately. My real job work schedule has been pretty crazy lately. Its pretty much engineering, eat, sleep and some traveling. I havent been in HT lately since they were closed last weekend. If I hear any new info, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

-Dave
Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

did you mean BROKE BACK special???? maybe something was lost in the translation.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
did you mean BROKE BACK special???? maybe something was lost in the translation.
Broke back is definitely NOT a good thing to mention in front of NEXUS...we all know he is very much into this type of "SPORT" lately with 1/2 naked men, sweating onto some rubber mat and holding each other for 5 minutes ...you know, he might come "practice" with you and broke back you 1 day since you 2 live so close to each...
Old 04-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Well hopefully enough racers will show up regularly to form a Trans Am class. If not though, it would be nice if there is an allowance in the local vintage class to allow a 4-cell car to compete using a 19 turn spec motor to even up the speeds a bit. The USVTA rules seem to allow outdoor tracks to specify a similar battery/motor formula to allow 2S lipos in the mix. This way if only one or two drivers from either class show up, no one would have to go home disappointed.

You have to remember Trans-am/Vintage class was formed as a lowbuck class. There are many guys that are tired of spending money to be competitive and still are not competitive. Trans-Am/Vintage is meant to equalize and level the playing field, which is why it is popular. If 13.5, 10.5 or Lipo's were allowed to compete, you eliminate any competitiveness of the lowbuck racer thus killing the class. Those power packages are better left for STock or Mod. Although usually mod dies out mid summer at HT.

Many opionions posted here usually are not regulars at HT, they speculate and show up a race or two and we never see them the rest of the summer. I do have a Lipo and I do have a BL, both I will be using in stock, NOT Vintage.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I'm tired of hearing that LiPos are not low-buck options for electric racers. One pack in a car at $85 is a LOT cheaper than 3 or 4 $40 NiMh 4-cell packs that have zero lifespan. LiPos ARE a very inexpensive option for any racer, so they fit into the Trans Am plans perfectly. And, in case you haven't noticed, LiPos enhance the potential of racers who aren't willing to spend a lot of money to race electric cars.

Secondly, Trans Am is NOT about cheap or "low buck" racing. It's about slowing the cars down to a level that opens up competitiveness across a WIDE range of racers—not just the select few that can wheel over-powered touring cars. There are plenty of "fast" classes to choose from, this just happens to not be one of them. The object with this class will always be to keep the speeds fast enough to be enjoyable racing, and slow enough to be manageable by a majority of racers, while allowing anyone at any level to compete fairly and easily.

So far, I think the record of this class in a trough of R/C racing mindlessness has been astonishing, to say the least.

HTSC will (should) make their own decision on what classes to run and how to run them, and should NOT leave it up to the racers to create their own class rules and structure. The biggest downfall any operating race track could make is to allow wandering aimlessness of the inmates running the asylum. The reasons so many people have raced there once and not returned could very well be to the relative lack of structure and class organization in past years, that was propelled by the deadly "three cars makes a class" dictation.

Vintage Trans Am outdoor rules will stay as they are written on the site for this summer, giving the racer the option of using either a 13.5 on 4-cells OR a 17.5 on a 2C LiPo pack. Both options should be fast (slow) enough for outdoor use without overpowering the surface or the spec hard tires.

Whatever HTSC chooses to do with the rules is up to them, but I do hope that they consider using the USVTA rules in their entirety instead of bastardizing them to cater to a minority intent on making their own class just for themselves.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:00 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

ApexSpeed - I didn't realize that you were all knowing God of RC Racing and that the poor "inmates" who have supported Hobbytown racing since the beginning are completely stupid. The group of regular racers at Hobbytown that helped to make stock touring class the biggest and the most competitive class of the summer. The poor inmates are the group that started the GT3 class which became the second biggest class. The minority you refer to are the drivers that are there every weekend.

I think the Trans Am class is great! I hope it continues and I hope there are enough drivers to support it. Even if there only three.

I think there is room for a vintage class. It's something that a group of us, "inmates," have talked about for several weeks. We thought it might be a good way to start an additional class to attract more racers.

It might be possible to run a vintage group and trans am together as they do in sport car racing where they run different classes together.

Parking lot racing is about participation and getting people involved. Everyone is welcome. Using the term "inmates" is an insulting implication. It implies that our opinions are somehow less valid than yours.

Your attitude doesn't discourage me from participating in a Trans Amm class or a Vintage class. But, your comments and attitude won't encourage me to compromise. When you use terms like inmates and minority to refer to people who have raced for several years and have helped the Hobbytown series grow, it doesn't persuade me, one of the minority inmates, to change my mind.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Wow, reading a little too deep into my comments there, MD. Take a step back and relax.

My point is not one specifically for one person or class and any particular track—but in general—as classes that are made up to suit any small group of people at any given track are NEVER good for the masses (which isn't what parking lot racing is about, either). I'll quote myself and my original comment in case you need to re-read it again...

The biggest downfall any operating race track could make is to allow wandering aimlessness of the inmates running the asylum. The reasons so many people have raced there once and not returned could very well be to the relative lack of structure and class organization in past years, that was propelled by the deadly "three cars makes a class" dictation.
Read into it whatever you want, but my intent with that comment was to point out an issue I have with tracks and clubs complaining about turnout or return racers, while having little or no structure for anyone to plan on week after week. Just my observation.

I'm happy that HTSC is considering running the Trans Am class this summer. I hope they run the rules as most other tracks and clubs are using them, to keep some continuity for this specific class, instead of changing the class to suit a select few's whims and wishes.

Race whatever you want, wherever you want. Just have fun and support your local track, otherwise there won't be any place to race at all.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by A-Ko
The "Trans-am" class we have been calling a "Vintage" class. The rules many of the locals are talking about are, any 27t motor (+ no brushless), any body 1980 circa and earlier (+ no wing), 6 cells and HPI wheels/tires. If you wanted BL that is what "stock" is for.

It is a laid back environment for sure
Originally Posted by robk
From USVTA website:
"Note: Outdoor asphalt tracks will have the option of mandating a 13.5 brushless/19T brushed motor choice or a 17.5 with a 7.4v LiPo battery combo."

So 6 cell/lipo pack is within the rules, with a 17.5 (or 27t).
Originally Posted by A-Ko
You have to remember Trans-am/Vintage class was formed as a lowbuck class. There are many guys that are tired of spending money to be competitive and still are not competitive. Trans-Am/Vintage is meant to equalize and level the playing field, which is why it is popular. If 13.5, 10.5 or Lipo's were allowed to compete, you eliminate any competitiveness of the lowbuck racer thus killing the class. Those power packages are better left for STock or Mod. Although usually mod dies out mid summer at HT.
Guys, I think you are actually on the same page here. If you run 17.5/27t and a 7.X volt pack, whether it's a lipo or nimh, that's pretty much the same thing. The proposed HT class and the USVTA are almost identical. I don't think if somebody runs a 6 cell NiMH it's gonna end the world, same thing if a guy shows up with a Bolink Charger or a Corvette body at a fun parking lot race.

The 13.5 is gonna be very close if you run it with a 4 cell too. Essentially you guys are talking about the same class.

In a perfect world, we would have tech before the club races too I think the biggest thing here is that the classes are close. To be honest, the "lowbuck" guys are going to be beaten just as badly if somebody shows up with new 4600s. Those same 4600s will be faster than the lipos, anyway.
Also, the entire A main of stock sedan chose 27t motors over 17.5 at the recent ROAR nationals. They thought the 27t motors were faster. I have witnessed and raced in a lot of trans am races , with a lot of different power combos, and believe me, everything is CLOSE

I'm sure it will be a fun time no matter what this summer.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

In case any of the people who will be racing TA at Hobbytown want to know, Strictly will be running TA this Summer too, on Sundays. Our plans are to keep the class running stock motors and four cells. Strictly expects that their racers will do some traveling this Summer for regular 1/10th scale and TA.

I'd expect 4 cell TA to be a big class. I'd also expect that open/mod 1/10th scale to be a big draw too.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Secondly, Trans Am is NOT about cheap or "low buck" racing.
Almost all the TA racers I know put their vehicle together from extra parts they had lying around and didn't go out and buy new vehicles. Part of the charm they talk about is it's low cost.

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
The reasons so many people have raced there once and not returned could very well be to the relative lack of structure and class organization in past years, that was propelled by the deadly "three cars makes a class" dictation.
Interesting critique of their racing program.

A few questions if you don't mind:

How did you come to this opinion of HT?

Why is the "3 cars makes a class" a bad situation for a parking lot track?

How does a 3 car minimum create lack of structure and organization?

I'm intrigued because as you might know I help manage and run a Summertime parking lot race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.