Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Trackside presents 'TRANS-AM' racing class! >

Trackside presents 'TRANS-AM' racing class!

Trackside presents 'TRANS-AM' racing class!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

This is WAY too cool!!

We have been running a similar class here since mid-summer and it has become EASILY our most popular class. We accept pretty much the same body list and require the HPI Vintage-series treaded rubber tires and wheels. We run 4-cell/19-T and offer 27T as an EXCELLENT way for newer racers to get some experience without bashing their cars back into kit form week after week.

We initially framed this class as a place to race "obsolete" chassis but decided to allow any Touring Car chassis of any vintage. What we've done to keep a competitive balance is we use the ROAR minimum weight for SIX-cell rubber TC (1525g) and add a weight penalty (success ballast) to anyone who places in the top three of an event. The ballast added is 2.5oz/70g (approx the weight of a 4200 cell) with the theory that any of these chassis can easily accomodate at least 2 more cells (not connected, of course) before they have to start resorting to weights. Two races into our current points series there would be a potential for 6 cars to be carrying success ballast...we have 5 carrying weight with only one car having podiumed both events and carrying double ballast next race. The top three cars in the championship? A tub-type TC3 in first (TQ'd both and won the first event), a Warpspeed-conversion TC3 in second and a Losi JRX-S in third. An X-ray T2 won the second race.

There is more laughter and friendly Ford vs. Chevy smack talk on the driver's stand for this class than I have ever seen. The post-race weight checks are generating as much buzz as the races themselves.

To answer some of the questions I've seen in this thread:

The cars will EASILY go 8-minutes with a 19T motor (we run the same 5-min quals/8-min mains as you show)

The Parma bodies are listed as (variously) 190-195mm. We have found that the Mustang and Camaro are, in fact, 200mm. Don't know about the 'Cuda as no one has tried one.

The HPI 31mm wheels/tires on both front and back help a 190mm chassis fill out a 200mm body
Old 11-14-2007, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It was an AWESOME night of racing last night! Here are a few pictures.

I will have more to post soon
Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

With a sad heart I have to report the Camaros dominated the Trans Am series last night taking the first two positions, followed by Mustang, Baracuda, Mustang and Baracuda. Com-on you Mustang guys Dean and I need your help.

John took first in his 415MSX Camaro using the same set-up he had in his car when he ran 6 cell 19 turn.

Marty took second in a highly modified 414 Camaro. Rumor has it he acid dipped the body to lighten it, moved the motor back 1" and down 1" in the chassis to improve CG, he has oversized valves in his heads, an illegal carburetor and he repositioned the drivers seat closer to the center line and farther back in the car to help weight distribution. None of these rumors could be substantiated but SCCA has started an investgation.

It was great fun, I hope to see some more car next week.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Steven Key View Post
With a sad heart I have to report the Camaros dominated the Trans Am series last night taking the first two positions, followed by Mustang, Baracuda, Mustang and Baracuda. Com-on you Mustang guys Dean and I need your help.

John took first in his 415MSX Camaro using the same set-up he had in his car when he ran 6 cell 19 turn.

Marty took second in a highly modified 414 Camaro. Rumor has it he acid dipped the body to lighten it, moved the motor back 1" and down 1" in the chassis to improve CG, he has oversized valves in his heads, an illegal carburetor and he repositioned the drivers seat closer to the center line and farther back in the car to help weight distribution. None of these rumors could be substantiated but SCCA has started an investgation.

It was great fun, I hope to see some more car next week.

I have to say, that even with my MINOR bad luck, I'm still having fun, and last nights racing was GREAT!! We put on one heck of a show.

Us Mustangs may have been out numbered, but we still looked GREAT!!!
There is something to be said about Mustang style.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up trams-am

hell yea,sounds great!!!cleaning up an old x-ray right now.!! ben there r.c.p
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Great pics boomer. If I didn't live so far away and didnt run (expensive) stock rubber, I would do this class in a heart beat.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Default mini

u going 2 race minis 2? ben there stroupe r.c.p.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Awsome race report Steve! It was one of the best if not the best Tuesday night of racing in years! The addition of the TA class has only added to the fun and friendship we have at Trackside. I am trying to get some time to get my TC3 rolling. Hope I can do it soon. I look forward to running with everyone in this class, It was awsome.

Dean you did a great job for only your 2nd week running. Remember if you ever have any questions, all the guys will do anything you need for help, just ask.

Looking forward to another rocking time this Saturday. Doors open at 9am on the tone at Noon.

Hi Ben: Great to see you online. This class is a blast, I know you will have fun. We look forward to seeing you at the track.

See you Saturday or next Tuesday.
Thanks,
Scotty
Old 11-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

wow, those were great pictures! This class is looking pretty good. It's like we just pressed the RESET button on TC racing!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Any pics of that black/red #17 Stang? Looks cool
Old 11-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Any pics of that black/red #17 Stang? Looks cool
No.... sorry

Just Kidding Here you go

Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Default Thanks

Hey thanks for the compliment on the black and red Mustang, I think all the Trans-Am class cars look great, everyone did a magnificent job on their cars. Thanks for the GREAT pictures Boomer, your pictures are top notch.

Scotty, I'm really glad I stopped in there a few weeks back, I only wish I would have done it sooner.

For anyone that is thinking of stopping in at Trackside to check out the Trans-Am class, or any other class, I say DO IT the people here are the nicest people you could meet, and they have everything you could think of for racing. They can really set you up nice, shop through the store, I'm sure you'll find something you want as soon as you walk in, I did.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The racing last night was AWESOME! It's was definately the most fun I've had driving in years. The 2nd round was probally the closest finish I've ever been a part of, .002 seconds between myself and Marty for TQ, I don't think it can get much better than that, everyone did a great job. This class is a absolute BLAST! I was a little leary about the 4 cell thing at first but the cars really work well and everyone was pretty much even top speed wise. Thanks to Marty and Scotty for setting this class up, it's going to get a lot of new people involved and a lot of other guys to return to racing.

Camaro's rule......Keep trying Mustangs and Cuda's, think of umm, The Little Engine That Could...

Last edited by Racer X79; 11-14-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

CUDA's:
Old 11-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

WOW, did I have a grerat time with all the TA guys last night. As John said, the second round was one of the closest finishes in Trackside history. I didn't even mind not getting the TQ, it was that much fun chasing him down for the pass 12 inches after the stripe. Excellent racing and driving on everyones part.

Marty

Last edited by 414MPH; 11-14-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.