Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Hobbytown - St Charles, IL 2007 - Summer Racing >

Hobbytown - St Charles, IL 2007 - Summer Racing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbytown - St Charles, IL 2007 - Summer Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
excsue my ignorance but tell me more about the classifications.

"Stock (31 in 06)
GT3 (Any sedan Tamiya Mabuchi/Johnson motor)(9 in 06)"

stock means any electric car with a six cell pack and a 27 turn fixed endbell motor and any tire?

GT3 means any electric car running six cells any tires but only being able to use either the silver can or black can Tamiya motors...the ones that have no adjustments or access to removing the armature?
Stock last year was defined as any motor 20t to 27t, any chassis, any tires on 6 cells. You are better off just running any 27t motor although for one race day I did run a 23t Tamiya black (sport tuned) to get ready for a race somewhere else.

GT3 was defined as any Johnson/Mabuchi 27t silver can motor (yes sealed endbell type), any chassis, any tires on 6 cells. Last year it was only silver can motors only. Although the 23t black sport tuned is about the same performance wise as the silver canned they just don't hold up to racing as well and smoke easy.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

which class is more fun, stock or GT3?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Well, stock is faster(more fun)...but the comm needs to be cut. In GT-3, you still go pretty fast, but only need to spray the motor out once in awhile. I enjoy stock rubber for carpet racing, but don't feel like bringing my motor lathe and worrying about motor maintence.

As long as the racing is close, you will have fun
Old 04-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

sounds like the three of us will go GT3. I like not tuning and just running.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Sounds good...the more the better .
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

sounds like the three of us will go GT3. I like not tuning and just running.
Or run the Novak 13.5 brushless.....no tuning.

You want fun Kenji...run Open Mod with us! What else could be more fun then Solara t-boning your car and sending you from 2nd to last?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

which class is more fun, stock or GT3?
Kenji,
Theoretically The GT3 class is basically a spec motor class and puts the emphasis on driver skill and car setup. to get any kind of speed you have to gear the car to the moon. Also this class depends on the luck of the draw on motors. One silver can can be lightning fast and another can be a total dog. It also depends on how well you break in the motor. It can be a fun class, on a smaller carpet track it is very competitive and lap times can be close to stock lap times. On a larger outdoor track speeds will be slower than a stock motor. That being said it is a low to no maintainence class and can be very fun.

In TCS the GT3 class was orginally meant to be the next step up from the Spec class since it runs the same motor but allows the higher end chasis, but in reality it has become more of a spec class for the better drivers to showcase driving and setup skills (as well as who can buy the most silver can motors to find the best one).

For me I will probably join the Mod class with a Porsche body just to have some fun since this will be my only opportunity to run a mod motor in a relaxed environment.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nexus
Or run the Novak 13.5 brushless.....no tuning.

You want fun Kenji...run Open Mod with us! What else could be more fun then Solara t-boning your car and sending you from 2nd to last?
I agree with Nexus (as hard as that is for me to say ) a 13.5 brushless would be a fun no maintainance class to run. if you run brushless you would also have the opportunity to drop a faster one in and run in mod.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by f1larry
I agree with Nexus (as hard as that is for me to say ) a 13.5 brushless would be a fun no maintainance class to run. if you run brushless you would also have the opportunity to drop a faster one in and run in mod.
I can finally quit...Larry and I agreed!

But actually I always hate this statement when the argument is made..."The GT3 class is basically a spec motor class and puts the emphasis on driver skill and car setup."

Yea running Mod can show who has a faster motor...but overall it takes more driver skill and setup knowledge to drive a Mod/Open Class car then a GT3 type class. A slower car will not expose car flaws and setups as much as a faster car. Plus a slower car is always easier to drive.

Not starting an argument just stating something so peace So now Larry and I are back to disagreeing LOL
Old 04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

I can finally quit...Larry and I agreed!

But actually I always hate this statement when the argument is made..."The GT3 class is basically a spec motor class and puts the emphasis on driver skill and car setup."

Yea running Mod can show who has a faster motor...but overall it takes more driver skill and setup knowledge to drive a Mod/Open Class car then a GT3 type class. A slower car will not expose car flaws and setups as much as a faster car. Plus a slower car is always easier to drive.

Not starting an argument just stating something so peace So now Larry and I are back to disagreeing LOL
Nexus,
Unfortunately we still agree, If you read my statement I said "Theoretically", GT3 was meant to be the next step up from the spec class and then the next step was supposed to be the GT2 class(faster stock motor) more skill level, and the top class is GT1 (19t motor) the most skilled class. That is how TCS was meant to be. Unfortunately many of the higher skilled drivers choose to race GT3 where you can get away with a slightly lesser setup.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for making the waters muddy guys.

There's three if us racing, so buying three sets of brushless setups is out of the question.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

thanks for making the waters muddy guys.

There's three if us racing, so buying three sets of brushless setups is out of the question.
Kenji.

If you guys did want to just run Open Class I would run a Orion/Peak V2 style motor or a Checkpoint. At Tinley a good number of us ran those motors including myself and easily got a day or two worth of racing without any motor maintenance. Hell I probably got even more then that since I'm lazy with motors.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

I do happen to have three of the V2 9turn singles laying around.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 74VWTECH
Man that novak speed control is vintage.
Man...you ain't see nothing yet, I still have my Novak 1, Novak 4, KO CX-II speed and Tekin Red speedo.........of course, I am not sure they are still working....and they might be older then you.

Kenji.........V2 9x1 is PLENTY enough @ HTSC. I am planning to run the GTB 13.5 (gear it to the moon) on my F103GT with Foams against the big boy's 7 turns 4WD TC.....if not fast enough, I will use the 4.5R instead..........BAM.

I think my record was 2 sunday of TINLEY without cutting...not the fastest, but car was still fast.

Last edited by Solara; 04-04-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If I can swing a 2nd TC I will run GT whatever as well Lo....work on the 05R deals man!!
Well, if you want the TA05R (special dealer deal...), I think I am open for tomorrow lunch @ Hooters....Hmmmm, lobster, steaks and wings.....@ Hooters sound very good for tomorrow.

P.S...oh Jimmy, are you listening too...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.