Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Would you race in the northwest burbs >

Would you race in the northwest burbs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you race in the northwest burbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Kev that was posted on another forum...

If I have more details I'll post them. I just quoted what the guy posted. We'll see if it actually happens. No one really knows the people nor does his name sound familiar from any local race scenes. My feeling is it's a new hobbystore opening that has some random racers and/or basher types that are giving input.

If Darrin ran a place w/ or w/out Venture Hobbies I'm sure it would be top notch. Plus we could see helicopters flying over the track again LOL :P
Old 08-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

I'M IN!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

20 minutes from where I live and Woodfield shopping malls around A.H to take care of WIFE...? Are you serious..? I am in.........
Everytime I walked by Yorktown shopping mall.....usually near the END of the mall, those spaces are biggest, and right now, there are several of those are open to lease....
Not saying going to York town mall, but just a suggestion....I cannot see why those spaces CANNOT be a good size indoor carpet track...?
The only reason why it won't work is.....god knows what is the rent/utility of those spaces will cost per month............and probably each racer has to end up paying $50 for weekend race and $100 for touphy race...

But no matter what...make it happen, 1.5 to 2 hours drive for the nearest indoor carpet track does slow down my interest of RC racing....beisde my wife.

Oh...I am in about indoor carpet track for Helicoper crashing...I am very good at that recently....

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 08-25-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

thanks guys for all the replys and keep them coming. I need to get a real idea of how many racers would be into a new track. again im just curious.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darrin Leist
thanks guys for all the replys and keep them coming. I need to get a real idea of how many racers would be into a new track. again im just curious.
Mr. Tan Losi jacket guy,

I'm sure RCtech only really represents less then 20-30% of people who would actually race. There were always a bunch of guys at RSJ and/or IRP who don't use RCTech. Like Kitt, Rutt, Nutt, Datt and Deez :P j/k But seriously only the regular RCTech'ers will be posting.

I'm convinced if promoted and run properly a NWside track would do well. The hobby store could direct people who buy kits to the track.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up Carpet??

I'm not even a carpet guy, but I would have been, if IRP would have been closer. I can easily do the NW. burbs.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nexus
Mr. Tan Losi jacket guy,

I'm sure RCtech only really represents less then 20-30% of people who would actually race. There were always a bunch of guys at RSJ and/or IRP who don't use RCTech. Like Kitt, Rutt, Nutt, Datt and Deez :P j/k But seriously only the regular RCTech'ers will be posting.

I'm convinced if promoted and run properly a NWside track would do well. The hobby store could direct people who buy kits to the track.
what are you talking about? all the cool guys are on rctech im sure they just didnt see my post yet.

Really im sure lots of people dont stop by here but i know lots do so i was just trying to get an idea of the mood.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default A track in the NW burbs would be great!

Hey Darrin,

Joe and I were excited to hear you’re even considering opening a track nearby. We had been regulars at Trackside since RSJ closed, but we haven’t been up there at all this summer. I think we just sort of burnt-out on the drive. (2 ½ or 3 hour round trip.) Scotty is great and I’m sure we will continue to go to Trackside. However, it would sure be nice to spend a Sunday driving the toy car instead of the real car. (Can you say $3.28 per gallon?)

We haven’t been to Venture Hobbies much lately because we do 95% of our shopping where we race. (It’s not because we don’t like you guys) We never made it out to IRP just because it felt so far away. I think it's actually about the same drive time as Trackside, but it just sounds really far.

Joe has started high school so he doesn’t have a lot of free time, but yeah, we would absolutely race at a track in the NW suburbs.

Sam

Crew Chief
Hard Knocks Racing
Old 08-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah i live kinda near sam, in wilmette and i would love to have a track closer
Old 08-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The truth of the matter is that the exact same guys that raced at rsj and when it was Venture will race at the proposed track. You may add a few but thats about it. It would be nice to see a new track take off but in reality the carpet scene has died over the past few years, not sure why and it kinda sucks.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KINGZJ
The truth of the matter is that the exact same guys that raced at rsj and when it was Venture will race at the proposed track. You may add a few but thats about it. It would be nice to see a new track take off but in reality the carpet scene has died over the past few years, not sure why and it kinda sucks.
The reality is that IRP is done, and there is not a track within 1 hour of Chicago.

The NW suburbs are a very good location for hiway access. I am in Chicago, and I have raced in Tinley Park, DeKalb, Milwaukee, and Kenosha in the last year or so. There are a lot of guys out there, guys who don't want to drive to WI because they live in the south suburbs, or west, or whatever. If you could shoot out there in 45 minutes vs. 1 1/2 or 2 hours to truck up to WI, wouldn't that be better? I think there is an opportunity if the location is in good proximity to the hiways, and a reasonable drive for non-crazed racers.

Both Tinley and Dekalb are gone, and Tinley was the only reasonable drive if you were anywhere near the city. Unfortunately it was outdoor only, but Walt did a great job. DeKalb was also great, but pretty far.

Darren, I think there is a market here.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default ?

Leisure is in hour for me on the weekends.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Rob had a good point-the track has to be within a reasonable drive for non-crazed racers.I work part-time in a hobby shop and I get asked where the nearest tracks are.When I respond Joliet, Milwaukee,Kenosha and De Kalb the customer wrinkles his nose and says "that's too far".There are people who would like to try racing but their not committed enough to drive far.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default races

For what it's worth and being that you mentioned you work in a hobbyshop maybe you don't know that many of the nearby Hobbytown's have races on the weekends. Those kinds of races are perfect for newbie RC vehicle owners who want to try racing, but not have to drive too far or have the possibility of being intimidated by the big tracks and hardcore racers.

Actually...I've thought about this in the past....the big tracks around the area might do themselves well in terms of marketing, to create some small portable racing track environments around town in some parking lots......bring spec kind of vehicles like a mini cooper or the mini 18 scale stuff and run some "newbie racing clinics". I know they are all busy just trying to keep their biz running, but I thought it might be an interesting marketing direction to try and lure new people into racing and into hobbyshops.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

I think the northwest burbs would be a great area for a track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.