Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Great Lakes RC- On-Road Racing Club >

Great Lakes RC- On-Road Racing Club

Like Tree108Likes

Great Lakes RC- On-Road Racing Club

Old 08-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
Thanks for the update guys.

I've got plans for Friday that mean I can't make it. I trust you all and Mike to do the right thing.

And, although I have not been racing this summer I'm definitely interested in a permanent place and will support it as much as possible. I think Mike knows this but if anyone here goes to the meeting tomorrow please remind him that there are more people hanging out that do want a place to race.

Thanks,
Troy and Mike - how often do you think you will be out to race - most days, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 ? I'm trying to figure out if there is enough support to actually make this happen. please post on here.

Anybody else that's not on facebook - let me know if / how often you plan on being out to race if we have a spot.

michael
Old 08-23-2019, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mikel33
Troy and Mike - how often do you think you will be out to race - most days, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 ? I'm trying to figure out if there is enough support to actually make this happen. please post on here.

Anybody else that's not on facebook - let me know if / how often you plan on being out to race if we have a spot.

michael
Mike if Racing is on Sundays I can make 3/4 to most race day , If there was Saturday racing that would go down to 1/2
Old 08-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The word from our host is that racing is on like Donkey Kong!
Old 08-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm likely a once a month kinda racer. I'd like to come more but the family takes up alot of time right now

To be honest, I'd pay double the normal entree fee if that is what it takes to keep things rolling and I'm hoping others would agree.
anthonyscardina and Nerobro like this.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Hi everybody - here's some news:

First: Our competition committee/Board
Michael Larson - As club president
Rob King
Richard DeVroeg
Anthony Scardina
James Oliva

Other officer types
Greg Teiber, secretary and Chief IT wizard
Peter Anwar, treasurer

Other news you might be interested in:
Funds:
I'm not going to post an actual $ amount here for obvious reasons but we have enough to get grey carpet but not quite enough for start up costs on the whole. So come on out and race asphalt! I am going to start something shortly so folks can contribute a few bucks if they are of a mind.

Place to race:
We have moved off 1 day rentals due to cost and are looking at some not-in-use retail space that we might be able to get into on the cheap. Stay Tuned.

Race Frequency:
Right now we are targeting 2x per month to make sure we have the highest turnout possible. We will align to other race programs as much as possible (Casey Allen, we were listening). If things change our race frequency can change but this is what we think will work best to start.

Race Day:
In order to shorten the race day, doors will open at 8 or 9, we will complete set-up and racing will start 2 hours after we open the doors (10 or 11 AM). No one is allowed to set up their pit until everything is ready - so everyone that is able-bodied can help set up. If you continually show up conveniently late and miss set-up your racing will cost more.

Race Fees
Not set in stone but figure $25 for first class. Second class we're not sure. We'll post final figures shortly. I need to model attendance/cost/income to figure out how much we have to charge.

Membership
This is a club, there will be a membership fee. We're bouncing a number around but figure $50 or so. If you want to race as a guest, your racing will cost more. If you plan to race more than 4-5 times a year club membership will benefit you.

Classes
USVTA
F1
USGT/21.5
Super Stock TC
Euro Truck / Minis

USVTA and F1 will follow the normal rule sets.
USGT/21.5 - We want to increase the heat sizes so what we plan is to have open 21.5 TC and USGT run together. Now, USGT can run as USGT or use TC tires. TC's can run scale bodies (I plan to run 21.5 TC with the Bitty Design Lambo body). The board feels that a more scale appearance is helpful and better for the hobby for the stock classes.
Euro Truck and Mini will run together. This worked out pretty well on asphalt and everybody had a good time.
Super Sock Touring Car - For those of us that want to go faster. Its not that many folks and I need to talk to them and get a consensus. Right now we're thinking either a 10.5 class or just run what you can hang on to. The 10.5 blinky/locked timing class has been very popular at some race tracks.

One open point is the locked can 21.5 class that was pretty popular. We have to see on that one. We don't want to dilute the 'stockish' 21.5 class but maybe we have to in order to accomodate a class of racers. Stay tuned on this one.

We have to figure out how to handle novice racers / newbies. There are a few options we are kicking around but we feel the main thing for next year is just to survive.

Class size
5 cars make a class so make sure to talk to your racing buddies. We might make exceptions for F1 and Super Stock TC to get those going.
If you want to start a new class (wgtr or 1/12) - 5 cars make a class..
Old 08-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

When does this club plan to post a location? For some of us, if we knew the location that might change how much or little we actually attended. The venue itself would be a consideration too.
Euge likes this.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

We will post the location as soon as details are ironed out. Rest assured we're working on it
Old 08-27-2019, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Rest assured there are those who appreciate the effort!
Old 08-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by drsfly
Rest assured there are those who appreciate the effort!
Thank You. nice to get a positive response amongst all the negative stuff.
anthonyscardina and mooby64 like this.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
When does this club plan to post a location? For some of us, if we knew the location that might change how much or little we actually attended. The venue itself would be a consideration too.
For now, still the parking lot in franklin park. We're a bit of a way from having a solid place to say "we're racing here" for the indoor season.

I can tell you I made a few calls today. Visited a few potential venues.

Now, this needs to be a community thing. If you know of any 7000+ square foot indoor locations around you, speak up, we need help with the search :-) Drop me, Tony, Or Mike a pm. We'll name a corner after you :-) or something.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

So the next Raceday is at the ABT race ? what day is that on ???
Old 09-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
So the next Raceday is at the ABT race ? what day is that on ???
15th
Strictly on the 29th
Looking at the weekend in betweeen as well
Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Now, this needs to be a community thing. If you know of any 7000+ square foot indoor locations around you, speak up, we need help with the search :-) Drop me, Tony, Or Mike a pm. We'll name a corner after you :-) or something.
where is ground zero and the radius from there of the building location requirement?

and has the forming club though/considered hosting a large race to help with funds or interest?? (UF1 Coming to the Upper Midwest!)

Last edited by xps800doo; 09-04-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xps800doo
where is ground zero and the radius from there of the building location requirement?

and has the forming club though/considered hosting a large race to help with funds or interest?? (UF1 Coming to the Upper Midwest!)
A building approximately 7 to 10 thousand feet and half way between Joilet and the Wisconsin border, along I-94/294 would be ideal.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xps800doo

We have looked at a large race, but until we know for sure what we can do as far as space its very pre-mature. With our current plan of rolling the carpet out 2x per month at a rental facility we would have a tough time having 3 day race. Once we are in a permanent location we will have several traditional events to schedule.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.