Like Tree41Likes

chicagoland tracks

Old 04-29-2019, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Default chicagoland tracks

Over the past few weeks I've heard of people attempting to start new local racing venues. I'm wondering if they know of one another's efforts and if not maybe they can combine or coordinate with each other. These people are:
shapeshifter
mikel33
paul barsamian
metalcrafter
liljohn1064 -MARCCA
there is one more person I think might be trying to get something going but since he hasn't posted here I'm not sure if he is ready to go public.

Last edited by outlandr91; 04-29-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
Over the past few weeks I've heard of people attempting to start new local racing venues. I'm wondering if they know of one another's efforts and if not maybe they can combine or coordinate with each other. These people are:
shapeshifter
mikel33
paul barsamian
metalcrafter
liljohn1064 -MARCCA
there is one more person I think might be trying to get something going but since he hasn't posted here I'm not sure if he is ready to go public.

Thanks for starting the thread. I've already looked at several viable commercial buildings
to either purchase or rent for a club or non-profit . Frankly ,given the initial cost & the
fact the on-road season is between October - March (6-mo) , renting a space on Sunday's
make the most sense.

what's needed is :
Black carpet (4-rolls 12x100 ) = 6-k
barriers 1-k (click track is ridiculously expensive )
I-laps system + laptop $500 +$800 (I-laps comes with 10-transponders , or $35-ea)
Trailer 2-k
software Live-time $40 per month subscription
total is 8-10k

During the last race at Windy I passed around a sign up sheet for On-road , had 40 entries.
If we can get 20-to show up on Sunday @ $25ea , that should cover the venue cost.

I'll throw in 2-k to get things going . Anyone else ???????

Old 05-01-2019, 03:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There are some cheaper/free alternatives to live time but some of them limit car count per heat. Barriers can also be made from 2x4 lumber. While it isn't as nice looking and is potentially harder on the cars, it is significantly cheaper.

While I can't front a large amount toward the startup costs, I can pick up a PA/powered speaker system and have a laptop we can use.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:56 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 130 (100%+)

If your thinking about buying black carpet to store and roll out for each race, I would not advise it. It has been our experience that it doesn't work well in that situation.
mooby64 likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have quite the discussion going on with mikel33's facebook group.

metalcrafter, have you been invited to it yet? or do you have a facebook account?
Old 05-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
There are some cheaper/free alternatives to live time but some of them limit car count per heat. Barriers can also be made from 2x4 lumber. While it isn't as nice looking and is potentially harder on the cars, it is significantly cheaper.
PVC pipe is cheap and can be bent with a PVC hot box. It would not take long to make round corners with a rented hot box
mooby64 and Nerobro like this.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post

While I can't front a large amount toward the startup costs, I can pick up a PA/powered speaker system and have a laptop we can use.
Sidewinderz used vinyl gutters from Menards for lane barriers. We did have to use bricks to anchor the corners.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Our old "setup and tear down on same day" track had square PVC pipes. The had a wood block inserted and affixed on one end (so the pipes can interconnect). It was relatively inexpensive, easy on the cars, and can quickly configure to different track setups.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Our old "setup and tear down on same day" track had square PVC pipes. The had a wood block inserted and affixed on one end (so the pipes can interconnect). It was relatively inexpensive, easy on the cars, and can quickly configure to different track setups.
Hobbytowm in Orland started with PVC pipes before the Sidewinderz guys came. Worked good, just switched when they started 1/10
Old 05-01-2019, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Harbor Hobbies used old fire hose as lane barriers, with it Eric was able to create organic layouts.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk View Post
PVC pipe is cheap and can be bent with a PVC hot box. It would not take long to make round corners with a rented hot box
He said "hot box".
anthonyscardina and Nerobro like this.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk View Post

This works surprisingly well. You can connect the pieces by using a smaller diameter tube inside the main tube for a smooth transition. And, it's light weight and easy to install.

There was a track near Atlanta a few years back that did this and it was very nice. The guys there also said the curves were done with the magical "hot box" and it was pretty easy.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Tech Initiate

HI Guys

I own an industrial fab shop so I can easily fab up the barriers. Thinking about a simple design
from light aluminum , triangular profile so stackable & telescopic. I have plenty of material
so I can donate ....

What other carpet would be used other than the black-CRC ?
Nerobro likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

unaware ot the facebook group .
Nerobro likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalcrafter View Post
HI Guys

I own an industrial fab shop so I can easily fab up the barriers. Thinking about a simple design
from light aluminum , triangular profile so stackable & telescopic. I have plenty of material
so I can donate ....

What other carpet would be used other than the black-CRC ?
Generic Ozite is used as trunk liner or speaker box covering. I would guess a few phone calls and you might find some old grey carpet from another track that switched to black ozite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.