Like Tree42Likes

chicagoland tracks

Old 05-06-2019, 05:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
Track owners need to make the general public more aware of racing. If possible races could be run at the parking lots of local businesses, car shows, local festivals, etc.
It's not the track owners fault in this regard its the general public that doesn't want to do it. The general public will go WOW thats cool...followed by how much?...how fast? It is just that it's something new how many people watch NASCAR, INDY, F1 etc yet how many make the sacrifice to become a professional driver??? Less than 1% of the people who watch it actually do it. Now scale this down to RC car size ratios...and you have what we have not many new people getting into it yet new people are like WOW this is cool.

I worked at a hobby shop in Chicago for years in the 90's and we went to all kinds of festivals and car shows etc. We had RC car demos where you could race and or even drive a car. We would hand out coupons for free stuff at each one. One time talking with the owner we handed out 1000's of flyers and coupons and guess how many came back into the store. Less than 10 in a year and of that 10 8 of them only wanted the "free" item. The sad reality is if you are into RC cars you are into them. Getting new people into it will take something new a change to the tired old ways of 3 qualifiers and a main where you spend 6+ hrs at a place to race for 30 minutes or less. Make it accessible to people but you need to offer them something other than 6hrs of time for maybe 30 minutes of fun...this is the core issue if you want to get new people into it. Kids and families do not have a spare 6 hrs to give something these days unless they are fully committed to it and can get something back on their investment.

If you want to do anything focus on the people already racing and keep them happy and entertained as they are already into it....getting and keeping a new racer into it is hard work but will only supplement what base you already have if you keep that base.
Solara, Euge and Teamrule like this.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:31 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I agree that the length of the race day is a negative for families and younger drivers. Those hosting races need to have classes in which kids can run their cars/trucks more than once in a qualifying round. The summer school idea allows kids to run their cars/trucks as fast as thy can get their batteries charged. Their skills really improve. I have seen situations in which Hobbytown in St. Charles had a race and a demonstration track during a festival in St. Charles and kids got to drive cars and they sold more cars/trucks the next week. I think the Elburn Days race is example where families can come out and race and enjoy some of the other things going on. But, the length of time is something tracks have to deal with.
Teamrule likes this.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I

Getting new people into it will take something new a change to the tired old ways of 3 qualifiers and a main where you spend 6+ hrs at a place to race for 30 minutes or less. Make it accessible to people but you need to offer them something other than 6hrs of time for maybe 30 minutes of fun...this is the core issue if you want to get new people into it. e.
This is the issue that came up most on the 23 page thread about what needs to change. Have a "hardcore" day for the guys that need each weekend to be nationals length even but the rest of the world has very short attention spans. In and out in 3 hours tops might help. And too many classes with no real class these days for the average Joe who does not have the desire or skill to devote his life to this. Doesn't mean they are not RC enthusiasts but simply have other things that matter as well.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teamrule
This is the issue that came up most on the 23 page thread about what needs to change. Have a "hardcore" day for the guys that need each weekend to be nationals length even but the rest of the world has very short attention spans. In and out in 3 hours tops might help. And too many classes with no real class these days for the average Joe who does not have the desire or skill to devote his life to this. Doesn't mean they are not RC enthusiasts but simply have other things that matter as well.
This used to be when the “passion for racing” and “sacrificing for the love of racing” posts used to show.

At least there’s now an acknowledgement of the issue. Unfortunately we are in a situation that there’s really no place to even give these ideas a try. Impact is too new. UltraFast is limited by what hours they can rent there place. I’m guessing St.Charles has similar issues with store hours we had in Orland.

I’m still waiting for official decision for the Orland group. But for now I’m not expecting to be racing 1/10 any time soon. Looks like only small scale.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Honestly if you want to max out the track time you could base racing off the UF1 format. They do one 3 minute qualifier, basing position on best 5 laps averaged, and 3 mains of 15 minutes. Each main has a point value for position. Also, the points are based on your time regardless of the main. So somebody in the B who had the best time overall would get max points. The mains are there to group guys by speed generally.

Obviously the main times could be adjusted , but this allows a ton of track time. It also makes qualifying more dramatic, since you can actually pull off to get track position to put in a hot lap, or make a quick radio adjustment.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

This used to be when the “passion for racing” and “sacrificing for the love of racing” posts used to show.
You sissy, if you do not want to spend $20,000 and devote every waking hour of your life to RC racing you are a loser communist and should go away. Racing toy cars for bragging rights is life and you are not the type of man I want to know. There I covered it so no one else has to ;-) ;-)
mooby64 likes this.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Tech Prophet

You sissy, if you do not want to spend $20,000 and devote every waking hour of your life to RC racing you are a loser communist and should go away. Racing toy cars for bragging rights is life and you are not the type of man I want to know. There I covered it so no one else has to ;-) ;-)
Haha!! Only 20k. Amateurs.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Honestly if you want to max out the track time you could base racing off the UF1 format. They do one 3 minute qualifier, basing position on best 5 laps averaged, and 3 mains of 15 minutes. Each main has a point value for position. Also, the points are based on your time regardless of the main. So somebody in the B who had the best time overall would get max points. The mains are there to group guys by speed generally.

Obviously the main times could be adjusted , but this allows a ton of track time. It also makes qualifying more dramatic, since you can actually pull off to get track position to put in a hot lap, or make a quick radio adjustment.
LIke "gasp" real qualifying? :-)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

As posted in the MARCCA Thread:

No one reading this any longer?

I'm guessing we either need a wealthy benefactor, or 20 members to form the board of trustees. The trustees each come up with $1000 USD and sign the charter for this club. We then either decide to rent or buy. The preference would be to buy and retain a 15 year mortgage of $200,000 with 10% down. Yes, it sounds like a lot of money and a lot of responsibility. But, if the same 20 guys pay $1000 a year for racing up front, it's paid for in less than 10 years. If a trustee ever needs leave, they will be replaced legally. The club itself will be listed as a Non-profit and get the required liability insurance. I'm also going to post this on the Chicagoland Tracks Thread.

End quote:

For the Chicagoland guys and after living in Plainfield for about 10 years, I feel your pain too. Leisure used to rent space and have a carpet track back when my only onroad car was a TC3. They no longer do that, which is sad. There should be some spec of unwanted land somewhere in the SW burbs, Will or maybe even Kane County. You'll just have to factor in how many trustees you need in your club and what the local liability costs will be. You just need to get to the magical 10% down payment from what I've seen and the more trustees you have, the better. I'm looking at 2 Acres and a 100x100 steel building. We can get away with $200k. The school system around here wants $46 and hour for janitors to race in an empty gym, plus $20 an hour for the space just for us to do a portable track, so that is just not feasible.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Is there any positive news at all ???
Old 05-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

We may have a clean pavement pad in addison we can use. It looks like we will have a pavement series this summer. There's a place or three that will let us do indoor carpet.

That said, we need people to step up. I'll get a lot more aggressive after the Velodrome event. I should have a LLC/501c3 going at that point, some officers will need to be defined, and ~then~ a bank account we can start contributing to.

If you want to do something? Poke around your local industrial aeras. See what there is for rent, tell them what you want to do, and ask them to look at what they can do to rent to a NFP. :-)
mooby64 and Lone Drifter like this.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

It's worth noting, that we're not going to have "some well endowed benefactor" to save us. It can only be done by "us". We need to do this ourselves. We need to make the news. Nobody else is going to solve it for us, and if they do, what happens when they're done with the hobby? We can support businesses, but we should not be supported BY a business. If we want good racing in chicagoland, we need to want this, and to get it done.

I can say a lot more, but I've got everything in the world on me at work today.

We need to make the news.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
Is there any positive news at all ???
Sidewinderz hasn’t ruled out running 1/10. Though we now have 3 June weekends scheduled for small scale.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

We need a dedicated park district land spot and a group of guys willing to help maintain it. Like we had in the way olden days back in Arlington Heights by that reservoir (1989 ish). I was too young to know all the details but recall the racing there and loved it. It would start with someone presenting a case to the park district for some piece of land they do not use and making a case to the municipality about the benefit to the community as a whole. Signs would be posted about waiving all liability for injury, trespassing etc. Standard municipal park stuff.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

We need a dedicated park district land spot and a group of guys willing to help maintain it. Like we had in the way olden days back in Arlington Heights by that reservoir (1989 ish). I was too young to know all the details but recall the racing there and loved it. It would start with someone presenting a case to the park district for some piece of land they do not use and making a case to the municipality about the benefit to the community as a whole. Signs would be posted about waiving all liability for injury, trespassing etc. Standard municipal park stuff.

I have seen articles where park districts allow their tennis courts to be used for r/c racing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.