Like Tree42Likes

chicagoland tracks

Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

I think you can forget about anything in Cook , Northern DuPage,and Lake counties. It would be far for me to travel but Will ,Kendall , Mchenry counties may be the way to go.If all you have would be dues and race fees to count on , thats a lot of racers needed to support a club and property
Old 05-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
I think you can forget about anything in Cook , Northern DuPage,and Lake counties. It would be far for me to travel but Will ,Kendall , Mchenry counties may be the way to go.If all you have would be dues and race fees to count on , thats a lot of racers needed to support a club and property
Yes but the fundamental question remains could the right location and racing program pull more people in that currently aren't interested for all the reasons being discussed in multiple threads.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCveteran
Yes but the fundamental question remains could the right location and racing program pull more people in that currently aren't interested for all the reasons being discussed in multiple threads.
The $64,000 question.

Unfortunate thereís no clear answer. And the people that could arenít active in forums. Or even Facebook groups. As Iím still on the new side of racing, most here race more in a year then I have in 2. I can give a number of reasons why I didnít, and what did finally get me to try.

But Iím not the average RC buyer. None of us are. Iíd love to hear from one of the people that tried my 4Tec on our parking lot track, bought a car, and never came back.

With Ultra Fast having its first ďclubĒ event in a week. Should start to get an idea of numbers. First couple Iíd expect to be high. Like when WC first opened, both locations, turnout looked solid. But seem to settle down. Iím sure that when the new place opened they expected average turnout to increase. They didnít.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

To be workable I think a club would have to big enough for a offroad , onroad maybe crawler/rally too.

Gun clubs sometimes will have a Pistol range , Rifle range , Trap ,Skeet. Sporting clay ranges because one type of Range would not have enough people to keep a club moving.

Many clubs are organized by having different classes of membership too . There will be the core landowning group who owns the property who pay thier dues and have the Initial startup money and associate members both pay usually a initiation fees ,dues and Usually pay a little per game ( trap ect) . They also usually have open to the public days where the public pay full going rate per whatever range shooting or game they use,

They will also make money for the club by sponsoring other clubs like a once a month Cowboy action shooting club for example

I guess what I am saying is it can be done but will take alot of work to be sustainable.

I think it would have to be open to more then just one form of RC racing
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:03 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
How can Mc Henry county be ok for you. It's north of DuPage and part of it is near the Wisconsin border.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
How can Mc Henry county be ok for you. It's north of DuPage and part of it is near the Wisconsin border.
It wouldnt be good for me , I think you would have to go where there more open land , for me Southern Du Page would be the best. Almost all theonroad Racers I know live North of me.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
Ideal to me is something sustainable. We all want the place close to us but it's got to be able to stay open and that means it's got to be somewhere that has lower rent than most the area you pointed out.
Agreed, rent is crucial but everyone seems so focused on the rent and not on fact as to why we get such lowsy turnout in this area. IndyRC regularly gets triple the crowd we are used to around here. Looking at their racing program I may see why. It's not ROAR or trying to be the nationals, it's based on fun first. Not trying to single a track out but if someone can crack the code as to how to consistently have 100 paid racers, busy open practices during the week, party revenue, concessions the rent may be less of a factor.

The 23 page thread in the general offraod section has some great ideas, some reject them off hand and I think that is part of the problem, the this is how we have always done it or how it always will be mentality.

It's a tough business no matter what but I think WCRC was on to the right idea building a premium facility in a more premium location. I just don't see attracting the type of clientele it will take in a rundown WW2 bunker in the middle of nowhere. You'll get the same 20 or 30 people that can't sustain a business.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:43 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Teamrule
Agreed, rent is crucial but everyone seems so focused on the rent and not on fact as to why we get such lowsy turnout in this area. IndyRC regularly gets triple the crowd we are used to around here. Looking at their racing program I may see why. It's not ROAR or trying to be the nationals, it's based on fun first. Not trying to single a track out but if someone can crack the code as to how to consistently have 100 paid racers, busy open practices during the week, party revenue, concessions the rent may be less of a factor.

The 23 page thread in the general offraod section has some great ideas, some reject them off hand and I think that is part of the problem, the this is how we have always done it or how it always will be mentality.

It's a tough business no matter what but I think WCRC was on to the right idea building a premium facility in a more premium location. I just don't see attracting the type of clientele it will take in a rundown WW2 bunker in the middle of nowhere. You'll get the same 20 or 30 people that can't sustain a business.

I think most people would agree that no stand alone permanent track will last with out additional revenue from a hobby store or some other business. Even then it's very difficult right now with internet sales. Hobbytown in Lake in the Hills is a an example.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I think most people would agree that no stand alone permanent track will last with out additional revenue from a hobby store or some other business. Even then it's very difficult right now with internet sales. Hobbytown in Lake in the Hills is a an example.
This is not true.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:50 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mikel33
This is not true.

Why do you say that? It would be great if a track could survive on its own.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by MD
Why do you say that? It would be great if a track could survive on its own.
2 of the most well known venues out there are the Gate in Cleveland and 5280 in Denver. I have been to both. They are clubs. No hobby shop. They have a dedicated membership and very good rent terms. There are others. This is what we are trying to get going. MARCCA in Madison, WI existed for years as a roll-out the carpet every Sunday club at various places. It can be done you just have to do it correctly.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:11 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mikel33
2 of the most well known venues out there are the Gate in Cleveland and 5280 in Denver. I have been to both. They are clubs. No hobby shop. They have a dedicated membership and very good rent terms. There are others. This is what we are trying to get going. MARCCA in Madison, WI existed for years as a roll-out the carpet every Sunday club at various places. It can be done you just have to do it correctly.

I think with a dedicated group of club members It can be successful. It takes a lot of dedication and cooperation among club members. I was member of a club once and when the leadership changed the whole thing went down hill. Those groups that do it for many years should be commended.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Simple question, why are there not 100+ available to show up regularly in an area with this population. I could find 100 people to show up for a spontaneous coffee and Chutes and Ladders board game. I am not being critical but really asking, what is wrong with the racing in this area that we cannot attract more. There are many areas around the country with much smaller population and multiple tracks and also in high rent areas.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teamrule
Simple question, why are there not 100+ available to show up regularly in an area with this population. I could find 100 people to show up for a spontaneous coffee and Chutes and Ladders board game. I am not being critical but really asking, what is wrong with the racing in this area that we cannot attract more. There are many areas around the country with much smaller population and multiple tracks and also in high rent areas.
Having followed turnout through LiveRC for couple years. For the on road side Iíd be suprised if they were more the 150 active racers in the area. Having not tried off road racing, I didnít follow there turnouts. I did check they newly open off road track yesterday I saw 67 drivers listed. With more the 20 in one class. Iím not trying to be negative with this, but I expect that to level off in a month or two. This week it was the only racing, next week two others start. This actually leads to one of the problems Iíve noticed. Conflicting schedules, multiple groups running on same days.

Another problem is lack of exposure. Average person buying has no idea its out there. WC started off seeming to really want to bring basher to the track. But it never really seemed like they had any plan to do this.

Thereís had been a general lack of interest in attracting new people. Too long there seemed to be a ďno problem hereĒ view. How often have readĒIíve been racing with the same guys for X number of yearsĒ. This should have been a warning bell.

Failure to adapt. How many now work part of a weekend? Got kids in sports? I get tired just hearing my niece and nephews weekend schedules. Yet track keep the standard schedule of starting times. I suggested from day 1 to try offering a once a month Saturday evening race. Limited classes, with more open formats. Look into what real tracks have done with trackday style.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:58 PM
MD
Tech Champion

I have found that r/c racing for younger drivers is competing with all the other activities that kids are involved in in today's world. Video games are a factor. With a broken r/c car you have to fix it. You can't just hit the reset button. Park districts often offer a variety of summer activities for young people and often times have the facilities. It may be an untapped resource for hobby shop owners and Traxxas products offer the durability and parts availability needed for such programs. Summer months during the week days might offer a time. Some park district's have indoor turf fields for soccer that could be used.

Experienced racers have to welcome new drivers and young drivers. New people interested in r/c racing will ask what cars or trucks to buy. Some veteran drivers will recommend high end products and the price turns them away. Track owners need to make the general public more aware of racing. If possible races could be run at the parking lots of local businesses, car shows, local festivals, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.