Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
SIDEWINDERZ 1/28th On-Road Racing Chicagoland IL >

SIDEWINDERZ 1/28th On-Road Racing Chicagoland IL

Like Tree159Likes

SIDEWINDERZ 1/28th On-Road Racing Chicagoland IL

Old 08-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SIDEWINDERZ
Oh Buoy! You know the disclaimer on this stuff! It's on you buddy! LOL

The main advantage to the Pro Kit is that you get the Performance Diff that was designed in collaboration with PN Racing, the Tri-Shock system, Aluminum Motor Pod, and Brass Chassis.
The base RTR is all plastic chassis and motor pod.

The nice thing about this car is the base model gives you an inexpensive starting point with a nice upgrade path. That said, I think everyone thus far just went with one of the Pro Versions.

There's three different paths you can go with that:
  • Pro Brushless Kit (like the video)
  • Pro Brushed Kit
  • Pro Brushed RTR
All three include a motor, speedo and servo, and lipo battery.
  • All three Brushed versions come with a 1S Lipo
  • The Brushless Pro comes with a 2S Lipo
Both RTR's also come with a Flysky Radio System.
Kenon/PN Racing sells them but is out of stock on all Pro Versions. There's several options to get them all online out of the States though if you're anxious.

Depending on what you think you may do with it, each has its pros and cons, especially with all the new stuff coming out in the next several months.
As you can see, PN Racing already offers a chassis conversion, that you can put on or change parts of (all, chassis, top plate etc.)
They also just released a servo as you can also see. lol

They are also working on some aluminum parts including arms and a new rear pod. Jomurema is also working on a new pod. The main reason for both is really more to fit all the new sensored motors coming out now as well (PN is also working on that too).

So a lot of cool options in the works so it really to depends on what you want now and what you might want later....
I was looking at the RTR and the Pro Kit...the ball diffs look the same. I didnít open them up but superficially they look alike. I am looking forward to the aluminum arms. As far as the PN servos...the specs look the same except one has Delrin gears vs metal in the other. Are the metal gears that much better?
Old 08-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tonkatrucker
Do you like that diff as much as the PN? They are similar and planning on upgrading my RTR. Also, do you know if Kenon will be selling the tri-dampener shocks??
We still need to do more testing to determine which diff we prefer more, but in quick comparison it's just as solid. Also we still haven't had a chance to do a weight comparison either. Hopefully in the next couple weeks we'll get all that done and have a better assessment. Not sure what his plans are for stocking the entire line of Mfg. Parts, but you can of course purchase all the PN Racing shocks if you wanted a Tri-Shock system on it. Haven't had chance to look at it closely enough yet but they should fit on the MFG chassis. Only reason I question it is because the suspension geometry is slightly different on the PN Conversion and we haven't measured the length between to the two types yet either.

Originally Posted by Tonkatrucker
I was looking at the RTR and the Pro Kit...the ball diffs look the same. I didnít open them up but superficially they look alike. I am looking forward to the aluminum arms. As far as the PN servos...the specs look the same except one has Delrin gears vs metal in the other. Are the metal gears that much better?
I'm not sure if they are different or not. I do know the Pro has the notched option for the diff balls. We'll have to take a look at Billy's to compare. With regards to the servo's the biggest advantage to metal gears is strength. Because the gears are so small for this scale/size servo, it makes them more at risk of stripping. Several years back we ran a few Pan Car style chassis and they would strip like crazy until we used metal ones. That said - that was a totally different front end style compared tot he Jomurema. I can tell you though that during several months of testing PN did not strip or break any gears on the delrin prototypes. There's a certain peace though of having a metal gear servo in the car just in case though so we went with that.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I’ll bring mine Saturday for you guys to check out. I should have video up today from last nights out the box test run. Steering has very different feel to it compared to MiniZ. Steering did get stuck in a turn few times.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:23 AM
Tech Prophet

So here’s first video. Not best driving but gotta start somewhere.

SIDEWINDERZ likes this.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

It's finally here!! 1/28th Racing is going back into full stream!
With all the new technology being released for this scale, and additional racers coming aboard, this season holds even greater anticipation and looks to be the best one yet!

It all kicks off THIS SUNDAY, September 9th!
Hope to see everyone there!!

Click for full details on the Race Event here!
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:30 AM
Tech Prophet

I’m planning to be there Sunday. Even if just for a short time. Got a steering issue that needs assistance. Seems like servo so I do have the PN racing servo on the way.

SIDEWINDERZ likes this.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Tech Prophet

SIDEWINDERZ likes this.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Tech Prophet

SIDEWINDERZ likes this.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Mod class.

SIDEWINDERZ likes this.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Great Job on the Videos as usual Billy! You also did fantastic behind the wheel!!
Hope you can make it out again next Sunday!!!!
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

With great anticipation, it's finally that time again!
RACE DAY IS THIS SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23rd!!!

As the excitement for the season grows, so does the list of racers joining us as well.
With growth, change and evolution also comes opportunity.

"Well my mind is goin' through them changes I feel just like I'm in the time..."

So without further ado, we'd like to announce some exciting changes to the program along with the full schedule for the first half of the indoor season.

First-
Doors will now open at 10AM
, adding a full extra hour of track time and value to your race day!!!!

Second-
We will now be breaking things up into two classes.

RACE BOTH CLASSES WITH MORE TRACK TIME FOR THE SAME FLAT FEE OF ONLY $10 BUCKS!!!!

Class information as follows:

We will reference PNWC 2018 Rules as our base guidelines with a few deviations* (*allowing use of other motors mfg.'s, and lexan bodies) .

2WD Stock*
Any 70T Brushed Motor, or 3500KV Brushless, powered by four AAA batteries.
*Exceptions will be made on motor and equipment for new drivers (Until such time that skills increase and/or show an obvious competitive advantage).

2WD Mod
Any Brushed or Brushless Motor, any batteries with maximum 8.4 volts.

Please Note: Since the class structure is new, we will start here and try it. If something seems out of balance, or changes need to be made to account for growth, fairness etc. we will have an open discussion among the group.

THANKS ALL, SEE YA SUNDAY!!!!!!!
Click here for detailed race information.

Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello Everyone,

My son is showing an interest in RC cars and I would like to bring him to one of your races to see what it's like.

Is there a good time to show up, look around and ask questions?

I hate to be the guy that just shows up and "bothers" everyone while they're trying to prep for races. Or even worse, while racing.

If anyone can recommend a car that can be upgradeable as things break/wear out, or as skill increases, I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Ernest
SIDEWINDERZ likes this.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Tech Prophet

I believe they usually start racing around 1. They said track should be ready by 10am. Come on by. They welcome questions and interest. These are small scale. But can learn from driving them.

SIDEWINDERZ likes this.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you! We'll try and stop by!
SIDEWINDERZ and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the interest Ernest, and thanks for replying Billy. - YOU DA MAN!!

Don't feel at all like you're disrupting anyone. We always appreciate new comers and encourage them to see it first hand, and ask as many questions as they want so they can be better informed. I'm also proud to say that we have a great group of racers who always have fun and are always willing to help each other so there will no shortage of getting answers wihtout worrying about taking up too much of someone's time.
Hope you make it out. If not, don't hesitate to reach out here, email, phone, social media etc. LOL

Originally Posted by 97Fzj80
Thank you! We'll try and stop by!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.