• 1 Post By Jeece
  • 1 Post By reptile
  • 1 Post By Jeece
  • 2 Post By Jeece

Fixing/upgrading childhood RC

Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Fixing/upgrading childhood RC - Ishipla Monster

So with my son growing up, and my recent reunion with the RC world when I bought an Axial SCX10 II rock crawler last month, I asked my dad if he still had the pair of buggies we had when I was in my early teens (late 1980s). Turns out he did, and I got one home this morning. I was sure it was a Tamiya Hornet (hey it's been 20+ years!), but when I got my hands on it, surprise. It's actually an Ishipla Monster.

I wouldn't mind running it as is with its current internals, as it's mostly to initiate my son to faster, non toys RCs, but the MSC looked, well, fried. I don't even want to plug it to see if it works...

The burnt groove is deep enough so the contactor can't get out unless I lift it.

RX

Motor

1-So, if I could just install a cheap-ish ESC and a new RX (to use with my 2.4ghz Futaba 3PV), it should run, right? Planning to use standard 7.2 batteries by the way.

2-Say I wanted to use the vintage hulk of a radio, can it be possible to keep the RX and just switch the MSC to an ESC? This should need some wiring job I think...

Other random pics:

THE SMOOTHEE

Gears and gearbox

Controller

Oh and the other buggy? It's a mostly built, never used and not even painted AYK Radiant (non Pro). This one I don't know if I finish it and race it, or if we put it for sale as is...
ddd228 and AHR43 like this.

Last edited by Jeece; 10-24-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

So I've disassembled and cleaned the whole car. Even took the 3 pieces wheels apart. There were some missing parts:
  • A set screw for a rear wheel hub (ordered)
  • A nut holding a front balljoint (have to look through my nut cases)
  • A screw/nut holding the wheel together (still has 4 though)

I've tested both batteries with my HiTec charger, one was charged and could be cycled 3 times. The other shows a connection error, probably dead. I will get 1 or 2 NIMH 7.2 new batteries depending on how the good original one holds.

The motor was tested outside the car, pulls strong and starts at a low enough voltage. I think one of its bearing need lube judging by the sound.

So, the only thing keeping the car from running seem to be a way to drive the motor. I've ordered an HobbyWing 1060 ESC to replace the MSC. Cheap and do everything I want to. Just need an adapter for the old style RX plugs.

I will keep everything else stock for now. Maybe in the future there will be more upgrades and fixes, if we plan to keep using the car:
  • The axle "cups" are worn out, will probably cause some slop in the drivetrain and get worse with time. Don't know how hard it will be finding a direct replacement though.
  • Tires are worn in the back, and begin to dry and crack in front. Luckily it seems those are the same tires as on the Hornet/Grasshopper, so they can be found easily/cheaply due to the re-release of the Hornet.
  • Maybe a slight motor upgrade if needed. I don't think going all out with a brushless/LiPo setup would be wise nor fun. Will be a handful to drive and the plastic gears won't like it.
  • Maybe a new paintjob and stickers.

The shocks are problematic, three of them were empty and one was halfway full of oil. I've cleaned them out and filled them with 30wt oil (all I got). That was way too stiff. Even empty, I find them to be quite hard (the buggy is very light) with the springs adjusted to the loosest setting. We'll see how it drives, I've taken measurements and have bookmarked a few cheapo potential replacements on Ebay just in case, but I expect some alternative way to mount them.

Inside the differential box, looks like the AYK Buffalo's:

Before:

After:

The old grease doesn't scare me that much, but there was lots of grits and bits hanging in there. What kind of grease do I use for those gears (if any is needed)? I've read many contrary advices...

Also, do the axle and ouput shaft bushings do need lubrication (i.e. silicon)? The front wheel bushings are of more a standard size (5x11x4) so I will probably use some bearings instead.

Thanks all, and I'll keep you updated with further progress!
ddd228 likes this.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

this things cool man. that gear box set up is wild! looking forward the rest of the build. old buggies rule
Old 09-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Very nice! looks like it will work way better than a tamiya hornet!
I would use tamiya anti wear grease on the diff gears and pins only and use normal grease on all the other gears the anti wear grease makes open diffs more like oil filled diffs! and as for the bushings use a good synthetic thin grease silicone is not a good lubricant
ddd228 likes this.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Ah! Can't really compare with a real Hornet since I've never been near one, but I'm sure it'll be a blast to drive. It will be lighter than before too, without the 4 AA batteries needed to power the RX and servos, and without the servo to control the MSC.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeece View Post
Ah! Can't really compare with a real Hornet since I've never been near one, but I'm sure it'll be a blast to drive. It will be lighter than before too, without the 4 AA batteries needed to power the RX and servos, and without the servo to control the MSC.
That one you have has a independent rear and the hornet solid rear axle with all wrong geometry that makes it bounce like a rabbit, yours should run much smoother over bumps .
Old 10-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Finally received the last missing link this morning, a brand new Hobbywing ESC. I made some temporary connections in order to test every systems before wiring everything permanently. Even though one of my old battery had enough voltage after a charge, I couldn't get the motor to turn (or sometimes a click with slight wheel movement). The ESC hummed, but the amp draw was probably too much to achieve anything else. Oh well, I expected these 20-25 years old things to be flat anyways. After a short trip to the LHS I came back with a Venom 7.2 3000 mAh NiMH battery.

The buggy ran well... but I noticed it was faster in reverse. There's no way to reverse channel 2 on the ESC or the old Futaba controller. For now I switched the motor connections and roll forward by pulling on the stick. I could open up the radio and reverse the throttle stick, but a better option would be to buy a new receiver that I could use with my modern 2.4 ghz Futaba 3PV radio, or get a cheap TX/RX combo... Because I noticed some "glitching" while controlling the car - sometimes it would steer briefly on one side without any input, or stop responding to throttle command for example. I don't know why it happens but I'm sure it's radio related.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Could be radio interference. There are certainly more frequencies flying around in the air today than there were in the late 80s. You may be able to find a similar style 2.4 ghz transmitter, paint it, and apply some vintage stickers on it.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Tech Rookie

That's probably the case. As for the signal drop, I noticed that sometimes the controller "loses" current. Often very brieflly and it comes back by itself, but if it lasts, I've found that pressing on the battery door or moving the radio restores the signal. Must be one of the 8 AA batteries contact point is loose.

I was able to flip the throttle stick (much easier than I thought!) to regain a normal and intuitive feel.

Anyways I've ordered a RadioLink RC4GS with a gyro RX, those look real nice for the price. We'll see how it turns out!

Pics:

Temporary adapter for ESC / G-connector RX

ESC test fit. I may also consider putting it inside besides the RX and battery.
ddd228 likes this.

Last edited by Jeece; 10-17-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Very nice work, I have ever seen one of these and love the vintage stuff.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you! Yes it is indeed a rare and obscure model. From what I gathered it was mostly popular in Asia and Europe, at least it is where most survivors are.

I don't know how much this rarity adds to the value, but it's mostly a big toy for me (doesn't meen I'm being careless with it, but I'm not afraid to run it). Plus, while clean now, it still shows some wear and tear.

I've seen some spare parts available on Ebay, but not much... I would like a bumper just in case, to replace the custom one made from plastic my dad crafted after I broke the original one about a minute into my first ride ever. I'm tempted to buy a Tamiya Hornet/Grasshopper/Frog bumper, because the bolt pattern look very similar... and given the Monster's heritage and general design, I wouldn't be surprised to see it could fit.

Went outside this afternoon to run it in the driveway (pavement) and street, it drives OK and is quite fun/relatively fast. Heavy understeer at speed/during acceleration. Motor began to run very hot despite the cool weather (50F), to the point it slowed down to a crawl and began to smoke. It ran well after a rest, but I will investigate the issue. I've ordered a 21T motor as a backup for my rock crawler, I will use it in the Monster while the original one is dismantled.
ddd228 and Rafwheat like this.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Cool Understeer.

Try to make a REAR sway bar for it.