Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum
Advice on restoring original Sand Scorcher >

Advice on restoring original Sand Scorcher

Advice on restoring original Sand Scorcher

Old 03-14-2017, 05:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Advice on restoring original Sand Scorcher

Hello,

I have recently discovered my dads old Tamiya Sand Scorcher.

it appears to have been well used, its in quite bad shape, missing a few parts etc.

However, I hope that there is enough there to work with and I can rebuild it and restore her back to working condition. I could use some help and advice on how best to proceed. I have had rc cars before having used to race at local clubs, but I have never attempted something like this.

After having a quick look online, I see that Tamiya have remade the Sand Scorcher. So, I take it that spare parts might be easier to get hold of. I see that Tamiya has a manual online for the 'new' model, are both the modern reproduction and original identical? Also, does anyone have any opinion what i should do in regard to electronics? Is it easy to upgrade everything to give a higher performance? I have seen youtube videos of people running brushless etc.

Finally, if anyone has any more advice on how to approach a project such as this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

go through the manual see what you need...no ....the new and old have differences..you can put a 13.5 in there if you want with no probs I would think...maybe with some slight modifactions with jamming a brushless motor in the casting...use a shorty....eby for older and newer parts...there are some new parts that will work with the older one...