Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum
Dad's old rcs act weird >

Dad's old rcs act weird

Dad's old rcs act weird

Old 01-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Dad's old rcs act weird

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to rc. I've had a few here and there mainly when I was a kid and what not but never modified one or worked on it. I have however work on real cars and have built my own computer and various other things here and there so I'm not new to working on things in general. Anyways I got my dad's old rc cars the other night that we were supposed to get going long ago. They both start up, the batteries are tired but they hold a decent charge for a little will be swapping them out though. My issue is that on both cars and between 2 separate controllers no matter what the combo is I can't get the throttle to work. Throttle only activates from the trim or adjusting the esc. I've tried setups on both of them the relearn or whatever procedures from the manuals and everything. Steering works fine just throttle doesn't. I've gotten it to somewhat work a few times but then if I touch the bottom of the frame on one of them it just spazzes out. I can't see any loose grounds or anything touching so no clue. Throttle will have to be readjusted everytime the car touches the ground and never gives me full control only ever gets around half when it does work. Then quickly stops working again. The only common denominator I can find is the transmitter crystals thinking about buying a new set of those. Really. Just need some advice on getting them working right. They've been cleaned already for the most part but will be continuing that tonight pulling things out and cleaning every bit of it. I'll post pictures tonight after work when I'm on a real computer not my phone.

Last edited by Trailburu; 01-04-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Accidentally hit send first time
Old 01-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

what are crystals do the match.. adjust trim to zero.. then try to re-calibrate the esc..you can find if crystals go together.. i tend to think the escs calibration is issue..
Old 01-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

depending on how old it is, the ESC may not be able to calibrate. You set the trims to 0 and adjust the neutral point on the ESC. Does the steering work? if so then the crystals are fine. It might have the speed control plugged into something other than CH2. Also make sure the colors on the servo wires match, and are in the same order. On the old futaba and airtronics stuff they swapped the red and black wires. so if you plugged an airtronics servo into a futaba receiver it would fry the receiver. What you have sounds like a radio\receiver issue. Or something plugged in wrong.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

check the esc receiver wire, make sure the white or yellow signal wire is all the way into the receiver.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

add CAP to the ESC should run smoother!?