Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum
Neo Thunder Dragon? >

Neo Thunder Dragon?

Neo Thunder Dragon?

Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Neo Thunder Dragon?

When I first got into RC cars as a kid, I lusted after the Tamiya Thunder Dragon, but they were pretty expensive, and I never managed to get one.

I recently got back into RC, and of course the first thing I did was to attempt to buy up all the cars that I wanted as a kid, including a Thunder Dragon.
It looks as though I missed the boat with the rerelease, and the prices for both the rereleases and the vintage ones are ridiculous.

I could get the money together I suppose, but then I would be afraid to drive the thing, especially with the parts availability dwindling.

I have also learned that the 'Dragon wasn't really the awesome car that I thought it was when I was twelve.
It seems that RC cars have improved somewhat in the intervening years, and I would be a lot better off with something more modern.

This made me feel a little better about not being able to get a Thunder Dragon, and I have been looking at the TT-02B based cars.

I really like the look of the Thunder Dragon though (it's an acquired taste).

I have had a crazy idea: buy a TT-02B and put a Thunder Dragon shell on it to make a 'Neo Thunder Dragon' (Nova Dragon?)

I don't know if this is possible however.
I'm not worried about trivialities such as body mounts etc - I have a reasonable amount of experience with model making and I am confident that I could fabricate any parts needed.
I checked the dimensions of the two vehicles, and the length, width, wheelbase, track width etc appear to be close enough for government work.
Ride height was considerably higher on the Thunder Dragon, but that shouldn't affect the fit of the shell.

What I am concerned about is the shape of the chassis - the Thunder Dragon chassis was a bathtub style, and it looks as though it was quite a lot narrower than the TT-02B, which is a wider pan-style chassis.
Because the Thunder Dragon shell is tapered, I'm concerned that the front of the TT-02B chassis would be wider than the body, and thus look weird.

Also, there is the issue of the front shock tower. The Thunder Dragon had a horizontal mono shock, but the TT-02B, like all the modern buggies, has a tall shock tower.
It also looks as though the TT-02B chassis is slung lower in relation to the suspension, although this could be an optical illusion because of the differing ride heights.

Would mounting the Thunder Dragon body over the front suspension on the TT-02B leave a huge gap between the chassis and the body?

One piece of possibly useful information is that the Thunder Dragon body was originally sold as an upgrade for the Hornet, so I'm guessing that a Hornet body would work as a surrogate if someone wants to check for me.

The price of a Thunder Dragon body is too high to risk just buying one to see if it fits, so I'm hoping someone has some insight?