Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum
Hyper 7 hobao dragster conversion >

Hyper 7 hobao dragster conversion

Hyper 7 hobao dragster conversion

Old 07-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Hyper 7 hobao dragster conversion

I have this Hyper 7 since they first came out way back when I'm still serving our great country. It's just one of a dozen cars and trucks I accumulated during the years I'm with this hobby. After being in my attic over the years I decided to bring them back to life. Its quite a task cleaning, rebuilding, replacing fluids etc..etc..My attention shifted to my Hyper 7 which I started to convert into a dragster back when I was in Texas. A buggy tires in front and an offset rear Truggy tires. Removing the dog bones both front wheels including center drive shaft making it free wheelie. This makes the car into a 2wd configuration. Now the question? Do I need to lock the center differential? Or leave it as it is. If I lock the diff. Up the power from a nitro or electric conversion motor would turn the wheel as direct drive resulting on constant wheelies. I know vintage hobbyist like to create something unique that's why I came here to ask since I know maybe one of you did this conversion before or similar to it..
Old 08-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes, you will need to lock the center diff.

With the front drive componants removed there is no load on the front side of the diff, therefore all power will be transferred to the front side of the diff with little-to-no power transferred to the rear wheels.

For a dragster, you may also want to lock the rear diff to assure equal power to both rear wheels.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Suspended

leave it 4 wd i have a few drag cars and have left them all wheel drive,,
Old 08-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kruzn View Post
Yes, you will need to lock the center diff.

With the front drive componants removed there is no load on the front side of the diff, therefore all power will be transferred to the front side of the diff with little-to-no power transferred to the rear wheels.

For a dragster, you may also want to lock the rear diff to assure equal power to both rear wheels.
The rear diff is not locked at this time due to a power transferred to the rear end. The center diff is locked and I'm doing wheelies even with the throttle only at 1/4 pull. Also doing wheelies even if at the halfway on the trigger and could not keep it on the ground at full throttle so I re install the center diff dog bone to drive the front diff. This way I reduce the power absorbing the rear end..if I lock the rear diff wont it be more wheelies since it will be an LSD? (limited slip diff)..I reduced the gearing to 46/12 and clocking at 68mph with a 4S batt. Only thing is that I have to build speed before I can go full power to prevent wheelie..
Old 08-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RcMann View Post
leave it 4 wd i have a few drag cars and have left them all wheel drive,,
I was just wondering what's the purpose of driving the front wheels on a dragster? For braking? When i apply the brake after a speed run the car lean on oneside and flip. Does the shock absorber has something to do with the imbalance? Have to get this car tuned before I can move to the next one a Jammin CRT1..