Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum
Tamiay Lunch Box Re release >

Tamiay Lunch Box Re release

Tamiay Lunch Box Re release

Old 04-10-2016, 04:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Tamiay Lunch Box Re release

Hey guys I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but here goes. I just bought me a brand new Lunch Box Black Edition I remember seeing these all over the place as a kid and always wanted one. Well, now I finally can have one! I plan to keep this thing pretty mild and mostly stock. The only mods I am going to do right away is full ball bearings, and a front chassis brace, and put a Traxxas connector on the ESC for use with my 2S LiFe packs. I plan to shoot a few vids of this running, hopefully alongside my brushed mini Revo when it warms up outside. Maybe a drag race??

I do have some questions, though. When I ordered it, Tower had the Tamiya 101BK listed as the included ESC. My kit, however, came with the TBLE 02S. I noticed immediately it has 3 motor leads and a sensor plug for use with sensored brushless motors. I did a little digging, and found out that ESC is a 60 amp unit capable of handling down to a 10.5T sensored motor. Now, with the prices of budget sensored motors being pretty affordable these days, what turn motor would be a good match with this truck? I have seen videos of it running with Super stock motors and 10.5 to 8.5T brushless motors, and I think the Super stocks border on too much power, and a 10.5T brushless is definitely too much for the truck and makes it impossible to drive. Not to mention you can't change gearing unless you can find a adjustable mount. So, since 17.5T brushless motors seem to be about equal with high end 27 turn brushed, would a 15.5T brushless be a good option to match what a sport tuned 25 turn brushed motor could do? Anybody running a CW-01 chassis truck with brushless in it?
Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Your gonna love the lunch box. I had an original yellow one when I was in my early teens. Not too sure what happened to it, but I had to have the blue edition lunchbox when they came out. As for mine I left it all stock except for the bearings, and oil filled dampers, and aluminum body mounts. It has the new TBLE-02s esc Tamiya now includes with all re-releases. Its actually a really smooth controller, but it does lack lipo cutoff, so I run a 2000Mah NiMh pack. The ESC's cutoff it does have is for LiFe cells and is too low for Lipo's. Beware in putting too much power in the truck, it loves to wheelie even on a silver can motor. Honestly a 13.5 would probably be the max I'd go with, a 17.5 probably the ideal power plant, or the 15.5 you mentioned. I switched to the oil filled dampers because the stock springs are way too bouncy for my taste, but again that's alot of the appeal to this style of truck. Its all about the wheelies with this truck for sure.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

I'm looking very forward to running it indeed! Very nice, I love the look of the blue version. I almost bought the chrome Midnight Pumpkin, but the Lunchbox has more character to it. I didn't know it has a LiFe cutoff, that's perfect for me. Those are really all I run these days, but usually run without a cutoff and just stop as soon as the truck slows down. I have a few NiMH packs for RX in my nitro trucks and one for the Revo, but rarely use them anymore. I have a pair of Zippy Flightmax 30C 2100mah 2s LiFe packs all set with new Traxxas connectors for the Lunchbox. I'll probably get a high capacity NiMH pack too though because higher capacity LiFe packs are hard to find in the right size.

I'll likely leave the stock Mabushi in there until it blows or begins to slow down. I have heard those things run forever with proper care, though. I'm gonna try the shocks for the time being. Seeing videos of it running reminds me of a New Bright 9.6V RWD monster truck I had in the 90's when New Bright made decent toy grade RC, which also had a solid rear axle and friction shocks, but was much slower and less powerful than the Lunchbox is. Still, the bouncy ride was pretty fun to watch. I can't wait to watch it fly all around in the yard!

One option I found is Tamiya's own 15.5T motor. It's a bit pricey at $70, but really not too much more than a Super Stock BZ in the end, which goes for around $40 but needs maintenance. The 15.5 has adjustable timing, so I could mess with it a little if it's too much. If I could find one for a little cheaper with adjustable timing, I think that would be perfect. Just like the servo and radio I went with on this, it's all about budget equipment with this truck!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I got it all put together and finally got a chance to run it! I gotta say, this thing is an absolute blast to drive! It's handling makes for a true challenge, even with it's low top speed. I can't imagine trying to drive this thing with a Superstock BZ or TZ in it. It wheelies on command, and bounces all over the place, and has terrible steering But there's something addicting about driving this truck. I'm even considering getting a Clod Buster now as well. I'm also quite amazed at the run time I get out of it. Even when running through grass and rough dirt, my 2100mah LiFe packs get 20 to 30 minutes of run time!

One issue I ran into though is I broke both of the axle springs, you know those little springs by the axle pivot point. They actually snapped off right by the screw that holds them to the axle. I plan on doing a mod for that, but not sure if I wanna do the 5th shock, or just wedge some small compression springs in there. Other than that, I beat on the LB pretty hard today and it just came back for more! This thing is right up there with the Mad Force for my most favorite trucks so far.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Tech Rookie

A LUNCHBOX!!!! Oh man now that is bringing back memories. I used to bash around an old lunchbox and race my buddies Blackfoot. Then we discovered the RC10 and JRX2...
Old 06-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I need to pick up one of these. I had a midnight pumpkin, I always wanted to get the yellow lunch box body for it
Old 06-16-2016, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

It is such a cool truck! It reminds me of a hopped up version of those old radio shack trucks from the 80's and 90's. Never had a Tamiya back then, but I had plenty of Radioshack and New Bright trucks.

I have been running the LB more and more lately. I figured out why the axle springs broke, I had them in too tight. I got some new ones off Ebay and put them in, this time not tightening the screws down all the way and leaving a few mm of space. 20 runs later and they're still intact! I also got a 4200 mah NiMH pack for it for longer run times, and a new motor! I found a NIP 2005 Integy Matrix V10 Twin Turbo 27T on Ebay, so I threw that in there. This thing hauls now! I never thought a 27T motor could wind out so high! I had to glue the tires after installing that beast in there. It's a very unique sounding motor too.

After running it a few times, I did some work to the motor. I pulled the bushings out and put bearings in it, re shimmed it, and converted it to use stand up brushes. I got some Trinity XXX brushes and let her rip. A few runs into it now and the temps are much lower, and the motor screams even higher! Old brushed racing motors are so cool, it's a shame they're so hard to find now. Here's some pics of it, it's almost a shame to run this motor it's so clean!

Old 06-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I am now presented with a new problem. My stock TBLE 02S ESC is thermaling with the Integy 27T motor on long runs! So much for it being compatible with 25T and higher motors I wouldn't be at all shocked if this motor pulls more amps than the 23T Superstock Tamiya motors do, it's probably faster as well. It does work on my Traxxas XL 2.5 in my Mini Revo, though.

Anyways, I found a fan kit for the ESC, but it's expensive and hard to find in the states. So I came up with a less than elegant solution. The fan is just a 25mm ESC cooling fan. It's attached to the ESC using Parma servo tape and just blows across the heat sink. It will now make it all the way through a 2100mah pack without thermaling and hasn't came loose yet Anybody using this ESC, try this out if it's thermaling on you! My next big test is going to be my 4200 mah pack in 80 degree weather.

In looking a little closer at the chassis near the ESC, I noticed some random unused mounting holes by it. The holes as it turns out are the exact right spacing for mounting a 25mm fan! I'm going to get some spacers of some sort, turn the ESC 90 degrees, and mount the fan above it so it blows down onto the heat sink. Using some rubber spacers that come with servos should also make the vibrations less noticeable. Here are the holes on the chassis. The only thing I can think of is that they were used on the older LB, maybe for holding the MSC in place?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I thought those sprigs were "captured" not screwed in place ,,,been a while since I built a lunch box .
the best mod is to add oil shocks and a brushed Tamiya black motor .
its a classic and runs great in stock form with the oil shock and a motor with a bit more snot .
I wanted to see if a lunch box body could be fitted to a stampede or similar .
or the Brat ,,,now that's a cool looking body with killer detail .