Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively >

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Old 12-01-2016, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
So you're completely ignoring the TC3 and TC4?
And the Pro4? And...

Maybe it's the one you need less work to make it competitive but I would say of all the racing kits ever made can be made very competitive
Old 12-01-2016, 04:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
And the Pro4? And...

Maybe it's the one you need less work to make it competitive but I would say of all the racing kits ever made can be made very competitive
Sure. The only reason I picked the TC3 and TC4 to contrast against their example, is that the TC3 TQ'd at the worlds that the 414 won (due to Barry crashing in the 3rd main, and Surikarns amazing start), and the TC4 is still popular and available for purchase.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Not meant to you Giga

Tried the Pro4 yesterday, only a couple of build errors (servo holders not rigth, the servo was 1cm above the chassis lol and the rear diff wasn't tight) from the previous owner but the car is in better shape than other advertised as new.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
With enough work and aftermarket parts, maybe, and while you you can probably take any old heap and make it work, some can't really be made to be fast. The car needs to have good bones, meaning that the chassis has to be balanced, its race weight needs to be close to the legal number, the suspension geometry needs to be similar to what works for rubber tire racing, the driveline needs to be efficient and durable, and the cars still need at least a small parts or aftermarket following so you can replace broken parts. If the car itself is lacking in any of these areas, the car needs have the aftermarket upgrades necessary and to go fast.

I guess that the case I could point to is that nobody on here is racing a Losi Street Weapon, and for good reason, that car was really a 4wd buggy just pretending to be a touring car, and has no continuing support.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesertRat
With enough work and aftermarket parts, maybe, and while you you can probably take any old heap and make it work, some can't really be made to be fast. The car needs to have good bones, meaning that the chassis has to be balanced, its race weight needs to be close to the legal number, the suspension geometry needs to be similar to what works for rubber tire racing, the driveline needs to be efficient and durable, and the cars still need at least a small parts or aftermarket following so you can replace broken parts. If the car itself is lacking in any of these areas, the car needs have the aftermarket upgrades necessary and to go fast.

I guess that the case I could point to is that nobody on here is racing a Losi Street Weapon, and for good reason, that car was really a 4wd buggy just pretending to be a touring car, and has no continuing support.
Perfect reply DesertRat. That rings true even with current gen cars, that why this thread exists, to see which are still competitive. You are the perfect person to say so, even the SW was a buggy shortened to comply with regulations and is designed to different tire dimensions, but one thing (and that's here when your valuable insight will come handy) that comes to mind is: the JRXS has even shorter arms a very different way to setup and dare I say it is another forgotten one. Is the XXX-S that much better than both? It is better to have the heavy battery hanging on one side?

Gil Losi Jr. thunk outside the galaxy with those designs, but a lack of understanding low mass racing cars and their design/suspension tuning backfired. Again, that's why we are revisiting these old cars, fixing them and pitting them against cars that can only claim to be optimized (they aren't, nor will be in the next 2-3 years). Hey, if you want some pointers, for a nominal service charge you can reach Nirvana tonight
Old 12-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

The tc3 was taken out by Hara in the third final on the first turn. Hara should have been penalized for it , if not disqualified. There were plenty of other races where the tc3 was cheated out of a win... I guess the teams should have been more vocal back then....Nowadays, you won't get away with it...
Sure. The only reason I picked the TC3 and TC4 to contrast against their example, is that the TC3 TQ'd at the worlds that the 414 won (due to Barry crashing in the 3rd main, and Surikarns amazing start), and the TC4 is still popular and available for purchase.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

So you're completely ignoring the TC3 and TC4?
Both are good, but the 04/414 are great.

It is what it is.

TC3 and 4's are for parking lot bashing.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Gonna rev up that popcorn machine, be right back!

Last edited by 30Tooth; 12-01-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Anyone?
Old 12-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
Both are good, but the 04/414 are great.

It is what it is.

TC3 and 4's are for parking lot bashing.
Sorry, but you're absolutely wrong. They can be just as competitive as a 414. The only things that prevent them from being quite competitive overall are a lack of gear diffs and DCJs. You can easily modify the motor mounts to allow for the tall gearing of today's motors.

Your Tamiya-branded undies are showing, just thought someone should tell you.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Sorry, but you're absolutely wrong. They can be just as competitive as a 414. The only things that prevent them from being quite competitive overall are a lack of gear diffs and DCJs. You can easily modify the motor mounts to allow for the tall gearing of today's motors.

Your Tamiya-branded undies are showing, just thought someone should tell you.
FYI if you can find them JRXS dcjs fit....I had a set on the TC4 I had
Old 12-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
The tc3 was taken out by Hara in the third final on the first turn. Hara should have been penalized for it , if not disqualified. There were plenty of other races where the tc3 was cheated out of a win... I guess the teams should have been more vocal back then....Nowadays, you won't get away with it...
Here's the 3rd final. Hara didn't come close to making contact with Baker. Interestingly, Masami took out Surikarn late in the race but waited for him, then Surikarn instantly took out Masami and didn't wait. Had Surikarn waited, or had Masami not waited, Surikarn may not have won that race, leaving Baker the champ. If you're going to whinge about race incidents, I'd look at that rather than your clearly false claim that Hara took out Barry in turn 1.

https://youtu.be/4afSNqAGvzk
Old 12-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

Barry was not the one Hara took out in 2000..... It was someone else in the first turn of A1 final...Mark Pavidis.....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 12-01-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
FYI if you can find them JRXS dcjs fit....I had a set on the TC4 I had
Very hard to find, though, at least the right ones.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Correct... So I had Dynotech Racing make me a few replicates in 7075 aluminum: it shaved six grams per pair...I also had some rear tc4 axles made in 7075 aluminum to work with the plastic bones(another 6grams shaved per pair). I will be testing them in my 17.5t car....Wish me luck....
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Very hard to find, though, at least the right ones.

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 12-01-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

While the 414 is great, the TL01 is greater

At least it is tough to beat in a clean wiring contest

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.