Restoring my vintage car collection >

Restoring my vintage car collection

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By asciibaron

Restoring my vintage car collection

Old 11-02-2022, 10:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Restoring my vintage car collection

Back in the 80's I was bitten by the RC car bug. My first car was a Kyosho Pegasus. I beat the heck out of that thing, sadly it was stolen from my back porch in August of 1986. I replaced it with a Tamiya Blackfoot, then I added an AYK Radiant in 1987, and finally in 1989 I picked up a Team Losi JRXT. I raced the JRXT in the DC area as both the truck as as the buggy. I put the three cars in a box in 1991 and there they sat for the next 30 years.

I decided it was time to get the 3 cars running and over the past two weeks have been busy. I built a workbench, reviewed the cars for needed parts, ordered parts, then discovered more issues and ordered more parts. I decided to keep the JRX as it was in 1989 with the Futaba Magnum Sport radio, Novak ESC, and the Race Prep motor from the AYK. The Blackfoot and Radiant are getting modern ESC and radios. I picked up a pair of Hobbywing 1060s and a Radiolink RG4GS V3 with two receivers.

Here is the progress on the Blackfoot... it was missing two wheels for some reason, the servo saver was broken, the right steering knuckle broken, the motor screws and cover plate were missing, but after ordering replacements, I found them (doh!), and I decided to splash out on bearings... I'm just waiting for a Tamiya Sport Tuned motor to arrive and it will be ready to test drive. The gear box will need rebuilt with the bearings and while I'm in there I'll do the screw trick with the drive shafts.

Last edited by asciibaron; 11-02-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Very nice, you don't see many AYK's anymore. Pretty cool vintage buggies.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Awesome. Great effort.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Very nice, you don't see many AYK's anymore. Pretty cool vintage buggies.
I'm really looking forward to getting the AYK running again, I recall it being a ton of fun to run.

Originally Posted by jsr555 View Post
Awesome. Great effort.
Thank you, it has been a very long time since these have run and they need just a little love to get them going.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh geeze, it IS a Blackfoot! Wow. Nice! Maybe just the photo, but definitely looks chunkier than current version.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Nice! always glad to see some vintage RC's being brought back to life. I've been going back to the MSC's and old school radios in mine.