• 1 Post By R6cowboy
  • 1 Post By Ozzymuppet
  • 1 Post By korreka

Catalogue & Toy store brands!

Old 06-12-2022, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Catalogue & Toy store brands!

Growing up I remember many stores and catalogues here in the US seemed to have their own OEM. Would be great to gather up a resource for identifying those brands to help us reconnect with the cars, trucks, and even airplanes we received as gifts in the 80's and 90's.

For example, who OEM'd Spiegels Christmas catalogue RC lineup? How about KB toys store? Sears catalogue?

Many of these toys were branded manufactured in 'Honk Kong' but who was the OEM? Shinsei? Tyco? Thunder Tiger?

Contribute what you know of these old non-hobby grade vintage RC's witth the 'who sold what' details.
din000 likes this.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would've been around 1990-1991, I remember my first RC was a Tyco Fast Traxx pickup purchased from KB Toys.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:35 PM
Tech Rookie

> "Would've been around 1990-1991, I remember my first RC was a Tyco Fast Traxx pickup purchased from KB Toys."
Oh man, that is THE BEST first RC to have! What a classic. I collect Tyco / Taiyo cars now (my personal blog is Tyco Collectors com) and have a black and a red Fast Traxx Pickup, New In Box. Beautiful!

My firsts before any hobby grade cars were all Metro RC, which is the Australian version of Tyco / Taiyo.
1. Metro RC Jet Hopper
2. Metro RC Hurricane, otherwise known as the 1988 Taiyo Typhoon
3. Metro RC Mini Blaster, otherwise known as the 1992 Tyco Mini Blaster

Then I got my first "real" RC. A nitro Celica that me and dad saw in a magazine and fell in love with. It looked beautiful, but was a total PITA, really hard to start, and covered in nitro/oil, so I rarely used it like I did my Metro / Taiyo / Tycos.
din000 likes this.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Radioshack, Tandy, Sears,... chose some RC car models from Nikko, Taiyo, Yonewaga and many unknown manufacturers from Taiwan/Hong Kong with bodies, stickers, colors exclusive to them in the 80s and 90s.

If you want to know what manufacturer made the RC car and year of manufacture, look for an FCC Id number on the sticker on the back of the transmitter. The first three characters are the manufacturer code:

C6D Nikko Electronics Toy Pte Ltd Singapore
CVT Nikko Co Ltd Japan
HS4 Nikko Electronics Malaysia
CP5 Taiyo Toy(s) PTE LTD (Radio Racer) Singapore
AEK Taiyo Co., Ltd. Japan
BXJ Yonezawa Corporation Japan
F5J Ka Wah Manufactory Lt. (Digitcon) Macau - China
ATN Sun Chung Precision Metal Ind.Ltd (Radcon) - Hong Kong
GLE Suncon Toys Industry Ltd Hong Kong
D4B Robocom Co Inc. - South Korea

Examples (Radioshack):

* Golden Arrow , 60-4080 Fcc id: CVT9BKSA-10 -----> Nikko - Japan (1989)

* Black Phantom, 60-4103, Fcc Id: CVT60-4103, -----> Nikko - Japan 1992

* BUGGY SPECIAL TURBO 60-4069, Fcc Id: GL57BUSA-14, ----> Takahashi Kogyo Co Ltd - Japan 1987

* Turbo Super Concord Aero Buggy , 60-4036 , Fcc Id: D4B60-4036 ----> Robocom Co Inc. - South Korea (1989)

* Red Arrow 60-4077 , Fcc Id: ATN7PP604077 ----> Sun Chung - Radcon - Hong Kong (1988)

* Frame Buggy , 60-4073, Fcc Id: F5J4KK604073 , -----> Ka Wah Manufactory Lt. - Macau - China - 1988

BattleTrak likes this.