Info Needed for my Losi LXT >

Info Needed for my Losi LXT

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jchammbone

Info Needed for my Losi LXT

Old 05-26-2020, 10:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Info Needed for my Losi LXT

I need suggestions for my old Losi that I am just about ready to get back on the road after 28 years. I hope someone has put new tires on their old truck- here is what I have I will have to un-glue the old tires but the wheels look good (?) the guy at my LHS ( which is closed btw he said to just get a new truck because the technology on my Losi is just outdated- hummm- ) was no help- Thanks in advance for

any help which I need to get this old truck back on the road-
Old 05-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Wheels

I've had good luck using the oven to bake the old tires off. Set to about 250 degrees F. I used a cookie sheet to put them on. Using thick gloves of some sort after 10 to 15 minutes, try to pull the tires away from rim. If no luck leave em in for few more minutes. Use caution, air inside tire is hot and don't deform wheel when pulling tire off. There are some YouTube videos that demonstrate this. That is how I learned. Still using wheels from my xxt.
Will stink up the kitchen for a bit afterwards so open a window and use a fan if you can.
hobbyten likes this.

Last edited by jchammbone; 05-27-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 06-01-2020, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 196 (100%+)

Toaster oven is perfect for removing tires just make sure their is no bits of plastic like the dishes on them rims, and the smell in the house gets old smells like someone doing a burn out and it takes a long time to get rid of the smell but generally 250 degrees for 5 minutes and beware its hot, now if your not keeping the foams then take scissors and cut around the tire on the sidewall it speeds up the process just don't over bake or they will melt and get bubbles and wear thick gloves as its hot imagine grabbing that slice of pizza off the oven rack same concept

Last edited by Troubles Dad; 06-01-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

if you wanta get the smell outa anything then get a Ozone machine... got 1 from 1937 but has new plates in it and fan.. 10 grams a hours.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

acetone is far and away the easiest and best way to remove old tires. I tried the oven method and it stunk of the entire house and still did not remove it cleanly.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Another option is to boil them. After a bit on each side, the glue will let go.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you boil them just remember to go get a pot from goodwill. Something you don't care about. That way you don't have to explain why the good pot won't come clean.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Acetone Soak

24-hr Acetone soak-each side of tire/wheel assembly. 2-days total time per wheel assembly will clean them up.

Recommend buying a one-gallon steel can with lid from Home Depot or Lowes. Pour in enough Acetone to cover the tire/wheel assembly. Seal the lid and let it set for 24-hours. Tire should easily pull off the rim. Then flip it over and 24-hour soak the other side. Takes time, but they will come clean and release without tearing the rubber.

Another thing I have done to extend the life of acetone in the can is to strain it through a coffee filter after a soaking session. Removes some of the detritus and residue from the soak session. Keep the can sealed with the lid to prevent the rapid evaporation of the acetone. Also, acetone is very toxic, so be sure to wear gloves. I use disposable Nitrile gloves. They won't degrade and dissolve in acetone. Hope this helps. Good luck. 'AC'