Search
Like Tree19Likes

Hi! I've been busy!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 07:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Hi! I've been busy!!

Through the good fortune of still having a job through this pandemic and being able to work from home a lot saving on fuel and lunch costs, I've been (attempting to) keeping my sanity restoring more old RCs. Just thought I'd share some albums for those who might be interested.
I source my decals from MCI Racing and bodies from Team Bluegroove or JConcepts, if you're wondering.

First up was a white-plastics Traxxas Bullet. A coworker gave this guy to me and it was pretty rough. Missing several pieces and pretty beat up. I stripped it down, had the aluminum parts cerakoted, sourced almost all the parts I needed (still looking for the roll cage and gear cover), got a body from TBG, and returned it to its former glory.
https://imgur.com/a/xIMOAQo

Next was a white-plastics Traxxas Sledgehammer. It was in awesome shape and only needed a new body, new tires, and I painted the wheels with chrome paint. Well, and a good cleaning. Had this same kit as a kid. I've always thought it was one of the better looking monster trucks from that era, but I always hated the springy body mounts. Makes the body jiggle all over when you drive it. Nobody reproduces the original body, so I had to go with a "close enough" body from JConcepts. Pretty pleased with it.
https://imgur.com/a/dlrgtpr

I am currently in the process of restoring a Marui Big Bear. This one was a little rougher and missing some pieces. It's still a work in progress as I'm looking for a few parts (clear plastics, roll bar and spotlights). My hands aren't as steady as they used to be, but I'm pretty happy with the detail painting.
https://imgur.com/a/zy5qwiZ

I just grabbed this Kyosho Outrage for cheap to do next. It's going to need a new chassis pan, decals, and rear tires. Probably a little paint touch up on the body as well. It's coming in the mail today. I always liked this kit as a kid in the 80s, because anything with loud fluorescent colors was automatically cool.
https://imgur.com/a/3mmCVqk

As an aside, I FINALLY got my Tamiya Monster Racer body painted. I wasn't up to the task so I had to send it to Spain (big props to Attack RC) to get it painted as I couldn't find anyone locally to paint it. I bought this kit several years ago and it was basically perfect save for a beat up body. It's always been my favorite kit so I wanted it perfect and Attack RC delivered!! The yellow/orange/red bits are all paint, along with the black stripe on the bottom and in the wheel wells.
https://imgur.com/a/2cVfkje

Old 11-25-2020, 08:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for sharing, Looks good
Mr. Sinister likes this.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That Mauri Big Bear brings back some memories. That was my first RC truck. I got rid of it because one of the holes for the gear pin, in the gear box, was worn out and I kept stripping gears. Now I have to go and see if I can find one to buy. Thanks a lot for that.

Mr. Sinister likes this.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
That Mauri Big Bear brings back some memories. That was my first RC truck. I got rid of it because one of the holes for the gear pin, in the gear box, was worn out and I kept stripping gears. Now I have to go and see if I can find one to buy. Thanks a lot for that.
It's a neat kit, so simplistic even in its day. They're having a moment right now and they're all over ebay.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

hey an outrage, right on. i have an outrage st. if you ever want to put modern metal gears and slipper clutch in from the optima re release check out my thread turbo optima & turbo scorpion gearbox questions
Mr. Sinister likes this.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Retro_Guy
hey an outrage, right on. i have an outrage st. if you ever want to put modern metal gears and slipper clutch in from the optima re release check out my thread turbo optima & turbo scorpion gearbox questions
Good stuff, thank you!!
Old 12-07-2020, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Indeed, you have kept busy. Nice work all. Even an Ivan Stewart Toyota ST. How cool is that? Maybe a run-off between it and my Walker Evans "RPM Special" RC10T2 ST is in order?
Keep up the good work. Can't have too many of these 'Oldies but Goodies' to look at.

I contract my custom body painting to RC Bombshells in Nevada. Rocco does good work either custom or he has a selection of standard styles to choose from. Oh, and thanks for the lead on MCI Decals. I'll check them out.

Cheers and Regards. 'AC'
Mr. Sinister likes this.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by AHR43
Indeed, you have kept busy. Nice work all. Even an Ivan Stewart Toyota ST. How cool is that? Maybe a run-off between it and my Walker Evans "RPM Special" RC10T2 ST is in order?
Keep up the good work. Can't have too many of these 'Oldies but Goodies' to look at.

I contract my custom body painting to RC Bombshells in Nevada. Rocco does good work either custom or he has a selection of standard styles to choose from. Oh, and thanks for the lead on MCI Decals. I'll check them out.

Cheers and Regards. 'AC'
Post a pic, I'd love to see that T2!! I have a brushless converted T3, I love those kits. https://i.imgur.com/SYGm0HK.jpg
The Monster Racer is pretty nasty for a brushed truck. Venom 9T motor in it. But I'm not likely to run it anymore, too afraid of messing up that pristine body. I may return it to "period" spec with a Tamiya Sport Tuned motor and vintage ESC.
Thanks for the lead on RC Bombshells!! I'm considering picking up a Tamiya King Cab to go with the Monster Racer and would like to have a professional job on that as well.
Dirt-Racer likes this.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Nice!! you did an awsome resto job on those - I like the monster racer truck, almost identical to the king cab?... Also curious of what you did to the underneath of the Marui Big Bear, I could be wrong but did you spray it black to make it look new again or was it the original look? looks mint!..

You've mentioned a kid in the 80's, I'm guessing you're a 40 something dude? . Which is what I am btw lol ..

And like you, I've gone back to collecting and very possibly racing, when this lockdown and pandemic decides to let up.

Just a general question for everyone, if any of you have been collecting. What's your favorite car/truck of all time and why?
Mr. Sinister likes this.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Mr. S. Nice T3. The blue accents the candy red nicely. Makes for an impressive looking truck.

Here's my T2. Thanks for asking me to post a picture on your thread. Bought the roller off Ebay without body. Fit a JConcepts body after Rocco (RC Bombshells) put the Walker Evan's scheme to it.

Looking forward to more of what you post up. Stay busy...

Cheers and Regards. 'AC'

RC10T2 Walker Evans RPM Special.
Mr. Sinister likes this.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer
Nice!! you did an awsome resto job on those - I like the monster racer truck, almost identical to the king cab?... Also curious of what you did to the underneath of the Marui Big Bear, I could be wrong but did you spray it black to make it look new again or was it the original look? looks mint!..

You've mentioned a kid in the 80's, I'm guessing you're a 40 something dude? . Which is what I am btw lol ..

And like you, I've gone back to collecting and very possibly racing, when this lockdown and pandemic decides to let up.

Just a general question for everyone, if any of you have been collecting. What's your favorite car/truck of all time and why?
Greetings Dirt-Racer. Agree with Mr. Sinister on his love for the T3. Indeed, for me as well, it is the RC10T3 in my collection of ST's. It is the lightest and most nimble of my grass track oval racers. It almost drives itself. And is oh so easy to work on. Cheers. 'AC'
Dirt-Racer and Mr. Sinister like this.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer

Thank you!! The Monster Racer and King Cab are identical save for the bodies, wheels, and tires. I may just pick up those bits and swap them out occasionally.
The Big Bear has the original Marui motor and a Futaba steering servo, that's it. I did paint the tub using VHT epoxy paint. It had some odd staining that only paint was going to cover.
Yep, I'm 43. We were fortunate to grow up during RCs golden age!! The stuff is so much faster and more complex now, but I still love the old stuff.
I was never a racer, just a backyard runner. But we finally have a local indoor track, so that may change!!

As to your question, mine is the Tamiya Monster Racer. Certainly not a competitive racer in its day due to weight, but I just love the body and Ivan Stewart paint scheme. It felt so much more like a real machine when compared to the stuff I had before it. My favorite memory of my original was racing a friend's RC-10 buggy and mopping the floor with it. He swore up and down there was no way I'd beat him in a straight drag race, and I ended up beating him badly. My original was dark metallic green and ran a Trinity Slot Machine motor and Novak M5 ESC with the cool little solder pop fuse. Ran pretty well for the time.
Dirt-Racer and AHR43 like this.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey Mr. S. Nice T3. The blue accents the candy red nicely. Makes for an impressive looking truck.

Here's my T2. Thanks for asking me to post a picture on your thread. Bought the roller off Ebay without body. Fit a JConcepts body after Rocco (RC Bombshells) put the Walker Evan's scheme to it.

Looking forward to more of what you post up. Stay busy...

Cheers and Regards. 'AC'

RC10T2 Walker Evans RPM Special.
That's a great looking truck!!
Dirt-Racer likes this.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Greetings Dirt-Racer. Agree with Mr. Sinister on his love for the T3. Indeed, for me as well, it is the RC10T3 in my collection of ST's. It is the lightest and most nimble of my grass track oval racers. It almost drives itself. And is oh so easy to work on. Cheers. 'AC'

AHOY there!!!!..... I heard so much of the T3's unfortunately and at the time I could only afford (time & money wise) two race classes Mod 2wd & 4wd... I was only into those two classes but that is about to change as I've made recent purchases of trucks to get my kids into RC racing and a bit of fun to get them started oh and yes I bought a couple of T5's and one T6 for them and a Losi truck for myself. Interesting you say that about the T3, I've never had one of those, I may now have to look into it.... Now look what you're making me do ??
I think I know what I need to watch on youtube next time. Cheers and thanks for the input.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister
That's a great looking truck!!

That is very typically and a great replica of something that flashes the 90's ERA... Dig those paint lines, I Do!!
AHR43 and Mr. Sinister like this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.