Search

HPI RS4 Rally - mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default HPI RS4 Rally - mods?

I have been using this car as a slow parking lot basher to drive around with while my daughter has her truck out and about. I really want to get some overly exaggerated soft springs so that the car rolls like mad and looks realistic as possible. Anyone have ideas for replacement shocks and or springs that would fit? I dont have calipers to measure the factory shock length
Old 04-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Rolls like mad? Remove the front and rear sway bar. If I remember we can move the shocks to different positions on the shock tower and A arms. you'd want the most straight up and down position and tallest spot on the shock tower. I wish I could find a hpi spring chart that made sense, I want to say that silver or white springs are the softest.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

On the RS4 pro original wide, which is similar to the rally in many ways, I found that the steering was sloppy and had to cut out underneath the front bulk head and installed custom adjustable bell crank link with Dubro rod ends the ones where you can tighten the ball cups.

The silvers are soft, white is medium and grey or gunmetal was hard.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Move the shocks as far in as possible at the top and the bottom.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If racing mostly clean tracks or mild on road conditions...
One mod I did on my RS4 original wide TC was removed all inside bearing shields and used dry lube. Some both shields, especially inside the transmission.
on road doesn’t get a lot of different elements however Rally does get some, be selective on which bearings, any bearing facing out exposed to elements then obviously don’t remove shields.

this technique also applies to just about any rc vehicle..
Old 08-19-2019, 06:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

You should be able to buy the current drift series shock springs from Yokomo or 3 Racing and use them. You would however need to add shock collars because these springs are not as long but I think it'll give your car a realistic feel and absorbing effect.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Battery holder for shorty Lipos, adaptable to full sticks. Made from servo mounts and 1/2" aluminum angle stock from hardware store..my plan is to change the button head screws out for grubs and thumbnuts. 3mm of spacers on either side to ensure the battery stays centered. Haven't tried with lcg pack yet
Old 11-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Love the battery retention idea. I have a Pro 2 which i have been running on Lipo packs but battery retention is always an issue. Great work and simple to make.