Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tamiyadan
  • 1 Post By Tamiyadan

Tekin Dyn 900 Manual Tekin Dyno

Old 11-08-2018, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tekin Dyn 900 Manual Tekin Dyno

Thanks to the dude over on rc10talk for posting these for me. I know many have looked for this at one time or another only to be lead to the crappy version on tekins site. Hope this helps anyone looking. and if some has any tips on how to tag this better for a search please let me know!!

Old 11-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

keep in mind all the calculations come off the kevin's different use of a motors power factor, which he called power rating. This dyno was ok at calculating the power factor but it had its own scale. you needed to test it against different stock motors and build up a database of caparisons. this unit was also only good for testing of stock motors, the accuracy of power factor or power rating became wildly skewed with modified motor.

by comparison the top dynos of the day were Competition electronics 45amp and the Robitronics Dyno
The CE was easy to understand the disadvantage was the condition of the slave motor greatly effected readings. it did not give acceleration curves.
the Robitronics was a mess to understand but being a flywheel dyno it could measure acceleration curves.
there was also the Fantom dyno which was flywheel driven and had good software compared to the robitronics.

that was really about it before dynos became kind of worthless as brushless tookover. also batteries started to render dynos worthless.
one item that you looked at was efficiency. the reason was because at the time races were 4-5 minutes you had 1200-1700mah to draw from and you wanted to be able to gear up as much as possible so the battery dumped just after you completed the last lap when the buzzer sounded. well now with 4000mah and larger batteries that weight 1/2 of a nicd or nimh that basically went out the window as you had more power then you could use in a timed race. so then the races got longer but there is a limit of sitting on the drivers stand and fatigue and having to run other races in a timely manner.
sacky07 likes this.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

just to add the cost factor on these things.

the tekin 900 was cheap under 400$
but something like the CE or Fantom/Robitronics was over 1000$

there was also many homebrew Dynos resistor based usually had a few load settings they were like motordoctor or buds motor dyno.
sometimes the homebews had better features like reading amp draw showing RPMS
but they never really helped a person would sit there and tune for higher rpms or more amp draw to increase the wattage but you always ended up tuning a perfect motor for the bench that didn't work at all on the track. even buying a 2000$ dyno wasn't automatically granting you access to some top tier club. you could kind of pick out the better motors from the pool but ultimately the top guy at the track on race day drove the entire narrative.

you could show up with your best guess dynoed motor and be totally outclassed on the field with teams throwing more money at the motor budget.
they would treat motors as one run per motor toss them after one race or practice and then a fresh motor and a new pack went into the car.
you had one guy that would manage the batteries and motors they would have everything labeled from practice to what to use in the Qualifiers and then mains and follow the motor with progressively top tier batteries. so as you wore on you had to keep gearing down and they kept gearing up.

Lipos and brushless made a huge change in the industry and really leveled the playing field. it was all in the nature of the equipment brushed motors have a much wilder drift in performance and manufacturer tolerances, nicds and nimhs also had a wild drift of performance for motors and batteries when you bought 1000 cells and 250 motors in a box there was going to be 90% of the stuff that was normal in a range, 9% of the stuff that was defective and 1% of the stuff that was magic and ran at a very high level of performance.
of course those are the ones you wanted at the national and you sold off the normal stuff with your company logo on it to the hobby shops. customers bought it because it said Trinity Matched cells for 80$ or DYNO tested MK2 D3 or whatever on the package.

memories....
sacky07 likes this.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

today there are also many homebrew flywheel dynos that people have assembled.
many are on the rctech forums

https://www.google.com/search?q=DIY+...www.rctech.net

There is no such thing as a perfect motor. there is only the combination of factors that came together on a given day did better then anything else at that time and place.

one motor that won the A-main on a given day did not mean it won all the time nor won at a different track.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

I have the Tekin 900 and the brushed version of the Fantom dyno.. both in boxes.... collecting Dust. along with a Turbo 30

the Tekin I got new.. along with the turbo 30 charger... worthless today.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer View Post
I have the Tekin 900 and the brushed version of the Fantom dyno.. both in boxes.... collecting Dust. along with a Turbo 30

the Tekin I got new.. along with the turbo 30 charger... worthless today.
you wanna sell the phantom dyno?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sacky07 View Post
you wanna sell the phantom dyno?
I might,,,, I DO NOT have paypal... I tried to sell a bunch of brushed motor equipment here a few months ago... no one wanted to deal without paypal..
Hudy diamond tipped motor comm lathe..
brush cutters.
etc

I tossed over 30 good brushed motors in the trash... when I moved in September.
I had over 60 pounds of ni-cad (dead) batteries.. Best-Buy got them to recycle.
27 years of electric RC car racing.....
4 older model pan cars also went into the trash.. old ESC's that still worked..

I got into TROUBLE HERE.. selling items without a price.. ITS NOT ALLOWED..!