Older novak esc info >

Older novak esc info

Like Tree2Likes

Older novak esc info

Old 09-19-2018, 02:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default Older novak esc info

Just picked up an older traxxas 4tec with a older novak esc in it I was wondering if I can use my spectrum radio with it or do I need to upgrade it. I plan on keeping the old school nicd battery in it. I also need to know how to program it.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

I had that one! Was revelatory in my rc10. Youíll be fine to run your radio...its just a basic brushed esc.

Be be sure to find instruction on how to calibrate it...maybe someone can chime in on this. I donít even remember if you had to calibrate it!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by JeffofSpace View Post
I had that one! Was revelatory in my rc10. Youíll be fine to run your radio...its just a basic brushed esc.

Be be sure to find instruction on how to calibrate it...maybe someone can chime in on this. I donít even remember if you had to calibrate it!
ok cuz I know some older Esc's aren't 2.4 compatible
Old 09-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Man, such a good question. Given that older servos tend to get messed up when used with newer radios. I am.not sure jow that affects the Old Brushed ESC.
Considerring as well that this ESC came out when it was all AM & FM radios!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There's no programming that ESC. First, set your radio throttle to where you want neutral to be. Turn the radio on, then turn the car on. Careful! The motor may spin. Adjust the neutral pot until the wheels stop spinning. Now you have neutral. Pull the trigger to full throttle, and adjust the speed pot until you just get to full speed. You can do it by sound, or use a voltmeter. And that's it. You can't adjust brakes, there are no profiles, you control the speed of the motor, and that's it. Oh, and instead of the high pitch whine you're used to, you'll hear a much lower frequency hum from the motor as you give it throttle.

Now you know how bad we had it back in the day.

Give me a chance to look. I may just have the manual for that stashed away somewhere.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Man, such a good question. Given that older servos tend to get messed up when used with newer radios. I am.not sure jow that affects the Old Brushed ESC.
Considerring as well that this ESC came out when it was all AM & FM radios!
When that speed control came out there were only AM radios. FM and PCM were exotic at the time.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
There's no programming that ESC. First, set your radio throttle to where you want neutral to be. Turn the radio on, then turn the car on. Careful! The motor may spin. Adjust the neutral pot until the wheels stop spinning. Now you have neutral. Pull the trigger to full throttle, and adjust the speed pot until you just get to full speed. You can do it by sound, or use a voltmeter. And that's it. You can't adjust brakes, there are no profiles, you control the speed of the motor, and that's it. Oh, and instead of the high pitch whine you're used to, you'll hear a much lower frequency hum from the motor as you give it throttle.

Now you know how bad we had it back in the day.

Give me a chance to look. I may just have the manual for that stashed away somewhere.
I'm not that young. I remember having a ae t2 with a futuba esc that you had to "dial in" and it had a 15a spade fuse that plugged in
Old 09-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

The Novak M4 was my first ESC. My first car was a gold tub RC-10, and I used the wiper speed control. Later I installed battery eliminator circuitry. Basically a diode.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
The Novak M4 was my first ESC. My first car was a gold tub RC-10, and I used the wiper speed control. Later I installed battery eliminator circuitry. Basically a diode.
I remember running a micro switch with 12 cells in a fx10 wanna talk about shrapnel when it hit a curb at full tilt
Old 09-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Just try it with your radio...unless any of you guys think it would damage the Novak. Otherwise, if determined, Iím sure someone would pay you to take one of the AMs they have laying around
Old 09-20-2018, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

you can try to use a 2.4 good luck...make sure car has wheels off ground.i know for a fact the m4 will not see any throttle activity w a 2.4
Old 09-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Bud
Tech Regular

I'm wondering what the esc has to do with a 2.4 signal. The speed control gets it's signal from the receiver. The receiver has to be 2.4 but the esc just needs a signal from the receiver.
JeffofSpace likes this.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I'm wondering what the esc has to do with a 2.4 signal. The speed control gets it's signal from the receiver. The receiver has to be 2.4 but the esc just needs a signal from the receiver.
no clue that's what I've herd. Might pull it anyway so I can run lipo
Old 09-21-2018, 02:36 PM
Bud
Tech Regular

The esc will work fine with a lipo you just have to remember there's not a low voltage shut off so it's easy to run the lipo voltage too low. That will kill your lipo battery. I have an old RC10 that I run lipo with an old NiCad era esc. Works fine just have to remember to stop before the battery gets too low. A lipo will really wake up a motor compared to a nmhd or nicd.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

a lipo buzzer on bal plug will be a low cost way to get a lvc.. you can set some of these for voltage you like.
Bud likes this.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service