Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum
Replacing a 9.6V Nikko Dominator battery? >

Replacing a 9.6V Nikko Dominator battery?

Replacing a 9.6V Nikko Dominator battery?

Old 08-28-2018, 05:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile Replacing a 9.6V Nikko Dominator battery?

Hi guys. I`m an rc noob and i just a bought a huge Nikko Dominator T2000, the car runs slow and seems underpowered. I have the original 9.6V 650mah battery pack and a very cheap 150 mah charger for it. Will a better battery and charger fix the issue or is it something related to the motor? It doesn`t have 4x4, like i initially thought.

I was also thinking of getting a 11.1V battery and switching the battery connector, Nikko uses tamiya connectors, but all the 11.1V batteries i see on ebay have different connectors. I just want to make the car run better. Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

I`m still not allowed to post pictures, sorry.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

So many variables such as capability of the speed controller (to handle more volts) and how motor is mounted and itís size. One idea would be to get one of the cheap brushed speed controllers from hobbyking and a Tamiya silver can motor if it would fit. But, a lot of those cars had integrated speed controllers and receivers. It may be advisable to keep the car as a shelf queen and research here on rctech regarding popular models to find used. For example, the associated tc4 would be an excellent choice for an onroad car and easily found. For off-road, about any 5 year old or newer iteration of an associated rc10. Either would have excellent parts availability and be a solid new rc driver car that you can learn to drive, upgrade, and learn how to wrench and tune.

Last edited by JeffofSpace; 08-28-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Also, Tamiya makes a huge variety of ready to run cars at great prices. Also upgradable and good to learn on.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JeffofSpace View Post
Also, Tamiya makes a huge variety of ready to run cars at great prices. Also upgradable and good to learn on.
Thanks, but the T2000 was 20 dollars, a new car this size is 300 dollars. I had not expected to have so many issues with these old rc cars. I also recently bought a 80s Nikko Tramp which seems to have plenty of power, but the remote is mismatched and it acts odd while trying to operate it with the t2000 remote.

I personally don't have the skills to fix them myself, so i guess it's time to give up....
Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Donít give up on the hobby, though!