Like Tree12Likes

early 90's haul

Old 08-25-2018, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Default early 90's haul

i acquired my cousins RC stuff. he used to race at So Cal Raceway back in the early 90's. scored some pretty cool stuff, cars, electronics, the works.
this is going to be a long running thread, ill post updates as i continue to go through things and rebuild.

Team Losi XX

RC10 (1)

RC10 (2)

RC10T

MIP steering cranks

RC10L
this thing appears to have never been run, there isn't a scratch on it!

Cox Nissan GTP

some drag racing stuff. i know my uncle used to race 1/8 funny cars, but beyond that i have no clue what any of it is.

JeffofSpace likes this.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

the electronics

the set up in the RC10 (1)

set up in the RC10T

some other random stuff
unused bodies, man i miss the old paint jobs

tires

never used carbon fiber RC10 chassis (?)

paperwork/manuals

car stand and some other So Cal Raceway related stuff from the Garden Grove location

ddd228 and wrightcs77 like this.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

ok, dug through the final box today. it's mostly the nitro drag car stuff. but also found some AE stuff and a few parts for the Cox.
what's crazy is some of this stuff isn't even open! and its so old that it appears that bugs have eaten some of the packaging.

not pictured is 5 bottles of shock oil. mostly unopened!

most of the found AE parts. assuming it's all RC10 stuff. cool factor for the RPM trans case and gear cover

found the starting cord, diff, body mound, radio box cover (?) and steering linkage for the Cox

bonus points of you know what this thing is i had to think about it before having a forehead slapping oh yeah moment

and on to the drag cars
found what im 100% sure is the start of a home made chassis (first pic, silver chassis on the right) and im not sure what the black chassis is. it's the same as the chassis with an engine but 1 inch shorter wheelbase. 1/10 maybe?
and if anyone know's what the black thing is on the far right of the first pic, id appreciate a heads up. it seems like some kind of chassis brace. both sides are obviously broken. or if anyone knows what manufacture these cars are please let me know.

JeffofSpace likes this.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Wow!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Looks like enough stuff to keep you busy cleaning for a while anyways! Plan on running any of them or just going to display?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

the drag cars idk about. id like to get them running, or at the very least use some of the parts to build a functioning drag car.
the Cox, uhhh... idk, it seems really brittle and im kind of afraid to mess with it. it'll most likely end up cleaned and shelved.
RC10 (1) will be a runner. not fully sure what im doing with it yet. im thinking of using the carbon chassis and throwing some hop ups on it. era correct race car maybe (?)
RC10 (2) it's a 6 gear car. it will hopefully be driveable with the old school electronics but will mostly just be a shelf piece.
RC10T will be a runner. planing on maybe doing some hop up's and probably throwing modern electronics in it (probably just a 17.5)
XX if i can find the parts i need for a reasonable price it will be an era correct shelf piece that gets some use from time to time
RC10L going to be a runner. idk what im doing for electronics yet but id like to keep it brushed.

im planing on documenting the rebuild process in this thread. im probably going to start with the RC10L because it's complete and the simplest. it just needs to be cleaned, re-lubed, the shock needs to be rebuilt and it needs electronics. i already had a protoform body or it (it's a 235mm car) minus paint its probably a weekend project. and then we'll see from there
ddd228 likes this.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow what an amazing collection, looks like you have plenty of projects there to keep you busy. That old Cox? is particularly interesting. Ive never seen one before.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bonus point(s) = ESC shelf?

For any nitro-heads that would know, that box of piston sleeves, is having that many some kind of tuning thing (i.e. different porting) or just likely spares for replacing worn parts?

Looks like a treasure trove of fun.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The orange piece is an ESC tray for the RC10 lower shock tower mount.. IIRC
Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Regional Moderator

Nice! Seeing this thread makes me feel better. I was starting to feel very antiquated with all my early/mid 00's RC stuff. Have a few late 90s stuff as well.
wminmi likes this.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gee-dub View Post
Bonus point(s) = ESC shelf?

For any nitro-heads that would know, that box of piston sleeves, is having that many some kind of tuning thing (i.e. different porting) or just likely spares for replacing worn parts?

Looks like a treasure trove of fun.
Originally Posted by username1 View Post
The orange piece is an ESC tray for the RC10 lower shock tower mount.. IIRC
and we have a couple wieners!
only based on the spacing of the screw holes, i think its for the losi (?)

and the pistons/cylinders look all identical so im assuming they're spares

edit: the RC10L is a runner (just need to mount and paint the body) i took the ESC and motor out of the RC10T and made some saddle packs out of left over 3300 nimh packs i had laying around. pic's to come maybe later today.
also ordered RPM rear A arms for the 10T over the weekend, should have those later this week. need to pick up some diff grease and other minor stuff so i can rebuild that. it's next on the bench
Old 09-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

I see a few esc that are not 2.4ghz friendly.. they cant be controlled with 2.4 .. nice to see the 90 era gear going to be used... the drag chassis should be fun..have fun.. the rc10l are great had a few and still do..1 nib in box rc10lg..
Old 09-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Dig the old novak and rc10 stuff. Brings back a lot of fond memorys. I think I had almost all of those motors. Ahh the days of cutting comms and playing with springs and brush compounds. lol too much fun.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

cutting coms .com shims ,,what percentages of silver ..I still have my com machine and all the gear that went with it .knew people that would tear a brushed motor apart after ever 8 minutes tooo funny,,see it for years 8 ++ then slow to accept the lipo era .oh its new brushless oh no ….
Old 09-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
cutting coms .com shims ,,what percentages of silver ..I still have my com machine and all the gear that went with it .knew people that would tear a brushed motor apart after ever 8 minutes tooo funny,,see it for years 8 ++ then slow to accept the lipo era .oh its new brushless oh no .
did people really do the whole breaking in in submerged water and such?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service