Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By QueadlunnRau
  • 1 Post By QueadlunnRau
  • 1 Post By addiemonster

Radio Shack Lamborghini Countach Modernization

Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Radio Shack Lamborghini Countach Modernization

Oh the nestalgia, recently went down memory lane and picked up a perfectly running 198x-1992? Radio Shack Countach, this was my first RC car and LOVED it. Popped in 6 C and a couple of 9v batts and wow, this seller kept her pretty mint and she ran like it was new! Not bad for a 25+ year toy!

Well after much debating on keeping her vintage stock or modernizing her, I'm going to go ahead and mod her, don't get me wrong she's great the way she is, however proportional steering and throttle with 2.4ghz range will be much welcome imo.

Mods will be as follows;
  1. Take off all them stickers, my old one didn't have all them stickers just a Lamborghini sticker on the side skirts if I recall.
  2. Add racing strips cause I can.
  3. Gut her, although nicely just in case I want to back to stock.
  4. Add Lights
  5. Add a steering servo
  6. Add a brushed ESC (I want to keep the stock motor as I don't want her faster at all, I mean she's 25+ years old! Don't want her breaking a hip!)
  7. Mod the battery bay to fit a 2s shorty lipo.
  8. Add a FrSky Rx
Eventually I would like to make her brushless as long as I can find a small motor that can fit perfectly and one where the Kv is low enough where I won't shatter the plastic body on any less than perfect bash.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Gutted her, got those God awefull stickers off and added a racing stripe, got the servo, Rx and lights installed.

Servo mod was a lot easier than I expected, originally wanted a full size servo, however ended up being too big, went with a metal gear 14g servo instead.

Lights were just cheap always on lights, awaiting my 20a brushed esc to come in for the end result.

aeguy, King DORK and JeffofSpace like this.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

ESC came in, however it was a dud, would only go forward, the brake switch on it did nothing, she got REALLY hot just plugging her in. At least I was able to get the amp draw running on carpet WOT, 3.26 a.

I double checked the ebay listing and it says forward, brake and reverse ... oh well $8 loss reminding me to always shop amazon prime as I'm too impatient for the return postage and wait time for a replacement.

I really wanted her to run so i hooked up my Mini-Q ESC and was driving her with the mini-q on its top, was pretty funny.

aeguy likes this.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

very cool project! keep it going and keep us informed. good luck
Old 05-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ordered a new 10a ESC came in from Amazon, installed it and ran it for a couple minutes WOT and didn't even get warm a good sign.

Checked the voltage to the motor when it was stock, it was feeding it around 8v, so a 2s lipo should be okay.

Initially I was going to use a shortty 2s 3500mAh lipo pack, however with the small watts it pulls I opted to use some existing 950mAh packs which gave me a run time of over 30 minutes!

• Vintage Tandy Lamborghini Countach $37
  • LED Lights $3.50
  • TGY-9018MG MG Servo $5.10
  • FS-GR3E Receiver $10
  • 10a Brushed ESC $10
  • Remembering my childhood RC my late father first got for me ... priceless

Old 07-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Your videos about this car actually inspired me to track down my favorite Radio Shack RCs I had as a kid - the white version of this with the ugly rainbow stickers, and the huge-winged version of the 4x4 Off-Roader known as the Off-Road Tiger! The Tiger was the last birthday gift I ever received from my godfather, who sadly died just months later. The Countach was the first RC I had ever bought with my own money. I loved both very very much, and seeing your video and theLEDWheel's videos on how to modernize these things brought a literal tear to my eye and slight financial devastation to my checking account!

Thank you so much for this, you've really helped me reconnect with a part of my childhood I remember very fondly.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by addiemonster View Post
The Tiger was the last birthday gift I ever received from my godfather, who sadly died just months later.

Thank you so much for this, you've really helped me reconnect with a part of my childhood I remember very fondly.
That's actually what inspired me to do this as well, my Dad passed away last year and sitting down reminiscing one day I browsed around eBay for the first RC Car he got me and luckily found this one for a great deal.

At first I was thinking of keeping her stock true to what my Dad got me, however knew that if she was stock with the limited 27MHz range I would just shelf her, making it modern makes it much more enjoyable so she doesn't just sit on a shelf.

One thing I sorely miss is the first hobby grade RC my dad got me (RC-10T), had to work a full summer landscaping to earn it, like a dumb arse later on in life I dusted her off from being in storage many years, took it to Ft. Casey in Washington state to drive her around, left it at our picnic site and came back with it missing. =( I would pay $1,000 to the guy who stole it just to have that exact one back.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm sorry for your loss, err, losses. Losing someone or something you care so much about is harsh, and I know all too well that feeling of regret, like you should've been more careful, or spent more time with them. I got my Tiger in the mail today, and the Lambo is on the way from the UK. When I get the ability to post pictures here, I'll start a thread for both. I don't know why it took me so long to do something like this, I guess I just needed a push in the right direction. Just holding this lump of plastic in my hands, I feel like I'm eight years old all over again. It's funny, when I first got this truck as a kid, I remember it taking up my whole lap on the car ride home from getting it.
JeffofSpace likes this.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What a terrific job you've done on the Lambo.
I had a Ferrari many years ago I 'm inspired to try and find one to give this ago. After reading and seeing the footage the nostalgia has kicked in here as well.
I did cringe a little when you mentioned modding the car,thinking the combo' of lipo let alone brushless power would destroy it but as I read on I think you have nailed it.
Very neat to and the finish on the body suits the era,awesome.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MR XW 393 View Post
What a terrific job you've done on the Lambo.
I had a Ferrari many years ago I 'm inspired to try and find one to give this ago. After reading and seeing the footage the nostalgia has kicked in here as well.
I did cringe a little when you mentioned modding the car,thinking the combo' of lipo let alone brushless power would destroy it but as I read on I think you have nailed it.
Very neat to and the finish on the body suits the era,awesome.
Thanks, yeah I agree brushless on a 26+ year old toy would probably destroy the transmission. Now to charge a lipo to run her tonight.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Awesome work on the mods, done very clean and tastefully! I love a bit of nostalgia, i also lost my father a number of years ago and i am slowly starting to replace all the RC cars we played with back in the day.