Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum
Old wheels and bumper info needed >

Old wheels and bumper info needed

Old wheels and bumper info needed

Old 10-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Old wheels and bumper info needed

I've fixed and upgraded an old RC of mine, Ishipla Monster (see the Childhood RC thread, can't link yet). So far I've noted many similarities with Tamiya RCs of the same age, but I don't know much about these.

I would like a new bumper (I remember I broke mine 5 minutes into my first ever run back then ) and I think Tamiya's could fit according to pictures, but I want to be sure before ordering one even if they're cheap.

Anyone here with a Hornet/Grasshopper could measure the spacing between the bumper holes? I would also like to have numbers with the 3rd one in the front.

Here's the underside of my car:

1.85 inch (47 mm)

I would also like more tires/wheels options . But is there any adapters (or wheels?) available for these kinds of axles, for say, modern wheels (12mm hex?).

Front wheels axles look pretty standard (I've put a bearing instead of a bushing). Now that I look at it and from what I've seen in my research, it's wrongly assembled. When I got it back it had both bushings behind the wheel, so I did the same, but those should be one on each side. I will fix this.

But this look like a pretty unique setup in the rear:

If I have to do it custom, I'm wondering what would be the best way:
  • Bringing the aluminum part to a machine shop and reproduce it with an hex on the end
  • Drilling the axle, and puting a pin + hex.

Any other suggestions? Thanks everyone!
Old 10-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the tamiya grasshopper/hornet/frog bumper has much wider screw mounts.
2.8" about 71.5mm apart, on center.
.5" about 13mm from the 2 front screws the single back screw on center.

is for wheels tires, HPI used to make a lot of different adapters to fit different cars.
there are also different adapters that might work on the rear from Yokomo, it also uses a set screw to hold the hub to the axle.

you could also modify an existing rim to work with some spacers. another option would be drilling the axle shaft for a pin which would again open more options for the rear tires.

for the 1.6" approx rear tires there are many options from Duratrax that might fit. when the rc-10 classic was re-released many of the manufactures re-released old tire designs because they would also work on the re-release tamiya cars.

if you search 1.6" tires or tamiya hornet tires a bunch of them will come up and you could try and take a chance on one working.

there are also more advanced options with a 3d printer in making parts to adapt the Ishipla.
Tires can also be made or cast if the will is strong enough to get something done.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Woah. Thanks a lot! Your help is really appreciated!