TrakPower VR-1 Charger

Old 06-12-2013, 12:03 PM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default TrakPower VR-1 Charger

For those not familiar with this charger, it is one of the best chargers currently available! Combined with the TrakPower DPS power supply, the package is nice a compact and can charge on 2 separate channels! Here is a link to the details on the charger:
http://trakpowerusa.com/chargers/tkpp5000/index.html

One feature that is very helpful to extend the life of LiPo batteries is the 'Store' mode. I initially overlooked this great feature in the manual, but have recently found this very useful. All you have to do to prepare your batteries for storage is to go into the 'Charge' function, turn the dial to 'Store' and then select the cell voltage that you want to use for storage. If the battery voltage is below the cut-off voltage, it will charge the battery until each cell is that the voltage that you selected. If the battery voltage is above the cut-off voltage, the charger is smart enough to discharge the battery. This function works very well and will pro-long the life of your LiPo batteries!

Last edited by ehartman_49348; 06-17-2013 at 09:07 AM.
ehartman_49348 is offline  
Old 06-12-2013, 02:27 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Are you sure it discharges on channel 2? I know storage doesn't work there. Channel 1 does discharge at 10A/80W though so 1 port storaging is still way faster than anything else I've seen.
shagino is offline  
Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,846
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
Are you sure it discharges on channel 2? I know storage doesn't work there. Channel 1 does discharge at 10A/80W though so 1 port storaging is still way faster than anything else I've seen.
Correct. Channel 2 is charge only (balance if desired) at 6 amps max. Channel 1 is loaded though and very easy to use. Without a doubt the best charger I've used, and is a great looking, compact package.
Jonny5 is offline  
Old 06-16-2013, 03:30 AM
  #4  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
ImageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 215
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
Correct. Channel 2 is charge only (balance if desired) at 6 amps max. Channel 1 is loaded though and very easy to use. Without a doubt the best charger I've used, and is a great looking, compact package.
It would be a great charger if both channels were equally capable or if they AT LEAST made it quite clear that they were far from it. Lots of disappointed owners of that particular charger. I was going to buy one until I learned that it only rocks the one channel.
ImageX is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
It would be a great charger if both channels were equally capable or if they AT LEAST made it quite clear that they were far from it. Lots of disappointed owners of that particular charger. I was going to buy one until I learned that it only rocks the one channel.
Although I do agree to some extend with your statement, most people do not need all the features that are available on channel 1 by itself, let alone on a second channel..... Most people only use the charge function, which does not differ that much between the 2 channels. I have not had any need for all those features to be available on the 2nd channel in the past 6 or so months that I have been using this charger.
ehartman_49348 is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
Although I do agree to some extend with your statement, most people do not need all the features that are available on channel 1 by itself, let alone on a second channel..... Most people only use the charge function, which does not differ that much between the 2 channels. I have not had any need for all those features to be available on the 2nd channel in the past 6 or so months that I have been using this charger.
Agreed but the interface is so different between the two channels. Whenever people ask me about it, I tell them that I think of it as a kickass one port charger with a bonus second port. I'm fine with the decision of a limited second port for both cost and size reasons.

I do sometimes forget that it's tap to charge on port one and press and hold on port two to start charging though.
shagino is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,846
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
It would be a great charger if both channels were equally capable or if they AT LEAST made it quite clear that they were far from it. Lots of disappointed owners of that particular charger. I was going to buy one until I learned that it only rocks the one channel.
Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
Although I do agree to some extend with your statement, most people do not need all the features that are available on channel 1 by itself, let alone on a second channel..... Most people only use the charge function, which does not differ that much between the 2 channels. I have not had any need for all those features to be available on the 2nd channel in the past 6 or so months that I have been using this charger.
In terms of amperage, I'm fine with 6a on channel 2. I'm a 1/10 scale racer and have never needed more than 8a with it, and 6a is fine for 90% of my packs. It would be nice if it had discharge/storage functionality on channel 2, but it's pretty rare that I feel I would have actually used it. All that said, feedback from both team members and customers all makes it back to TrakPower, good or bad.

What makes it impressive to me is the efficiency of it's charging. Charging at the same amperage, running the same track and race length, this charger knocked 12-15 minutes off the charge time of my old Orion chargers. I frequently have "charge races" with buddies at the track- guys in the same class discharging similar amounts in each round. I've yet to be beat at the same charge rate as any of them, and it has even been faster while balancing while they are straight charging without balancing.
Jonny5 is offline  
Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
ImageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 215
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
In terms of amperage, I'm fine with 6a on channel 2. I'm a 1/10 scale racer and have never needed more than 8a with it, and 6a is fine for 90% of my packs. It would be nice if it had discharge/storage functionality on channel 2, but it's pretty rare that I feel I would have actually used it. All that said, feedback from both team members and customers all makes it back to TrakPower, good or bad.

What makes it impressive to me is the efficiency of it's charging. Charging at the same amperage, running the same track and race length, this charger knocked 12-15 minutes off the charge time of my old Orion chargers. I frequently have "charge races" with buddies at the track- guys in the same class discharging similar amounts in each round. I've yet to be beat at the same charge rate as any of them, and it has even been faster while balancing while they are straight charging without balancing.
It's definitely an attractive charger but the 2 channels are just so different that it becomes a dissapointment once that is learned. It would be a hot item for sure if both channels were the same and I would surely buy one... along with the matching power supply. I've read that many people who purchased his felt slighted by the lack of clear and upfront information regarding the weaker/featureless channel 2. It's obvious why this isn't made clear though... but it should be. Right on the box cover. Hopefully they come out with a VR-2 and go all out on both channels.
ImageX is offline  
Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (49)
 
Jerz616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 1,045
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

I bought one of these and the guy at my LHS told me the differences. I was torn between this one and the X2 400 and I chose this one because of the power supply and that you can charge at the 20A with the power supply. The X2 really needs a 60A to use its full potential and it is pretty pricey for a 60A PSU. I race 2 classes in on road. 17.5 sedan and F1. I use port one to charge my sedan batt at 14a, and the second to charge myF1 shorty at 6. Takes about 15 min to charge both. So I don't think the differences are so far apart that its bad. I just like the fact that it is so compact. And you get the benefit of checking the IR of the packs when you balance or discharge them.
Jerz616 is offline  
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 PM
  #10  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
ImageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 215
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Can anyone tell me approximately how fast the VR-1 will charge a 4S 6500 pack at 1C and also maxed out? I think I am going to go ahead and get this charger... for $260 with the matching power supply. I really
like it. I just wish both channels were equal as far as power, menu options, and memory.
ImageX is offline  
Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 AM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
I just wish both channels were equal as far as power, menu options, and memory.
As I mentioned earlier, think of it as a kickass one port charger with a bonus standard charger. While I would have loved the same on the second port, I didn't want to pay any more for it and I didn't want it to be any bigger than it already is. To me it's still a great purchase.
shagino is offline  
Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 PM
  #12  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
ImageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 215
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
As I mentioned earlier, think of it as a kickass one port charger with a bonus standard charger. While I would have loved the same on the second port, I didn't want to pay any more for it and I didn't want it to be any bigger than it already is. To me it's still a great purchase.
Yeah, it's a great charger and because it's so good on channel one.... channel two becomes a dissapointment. I do like it though and since I'll be buying a total of four packs and will only race one class.... I think I'll be fine with it. What kind of packs are charging and how fast will it charge a 6500 4S at 1C and also maxed out at 20 amps?
ImageX is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 AM
  #13  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

It's hard to say how long it will take to charge a specific pack. It depends on the quality of the pack, how well it balances and how full it is when you start charging. Based on some 'charge races' that Johny5 has done, this charger does charge more efficient/faster at the same amperage than other chargers available.
ehartman_49348 is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,846
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
It's hard to say how long it will take to charge a specific pack. It depends on the quality of the pack, how well it balances and how full it is when you start charging. Based on some 'charge races' that Johny5 has done, this charger does charge more efficient/faster at the same amperage than other chargers available.
+1 to that! Both channels charge equally as efficient in my experience, given the same charge rate of course. But being a 1/10 racer I never have a need for anything more than 10a and have only charged one 4s pack for a friend. I don't recall the time it took though.
Jonny5 is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM
  #15  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
ImageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 215
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
It's hard to say how long it will take to charge a specific pack. It depends on the quality of the pack, how well it balances and how full it is when you start charging. Based on some 'charge races' that Johny5 has done, this charger does charge more efficient/faster at the same amperage than other chargers available.
Thanks. I'll be running SMC packs which are suppose to be quality batteries.... according to just about everyone who runs them. I'm defintely gonna go with the VR-1 and DPS. I'm sure I will be quite satisfied with it regardless of some of the minor issues. I'm a little surprised that we don't see chargers with docking power supplies from other manufacturers. It's the most logical way to do it!
ImageX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.