Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum
Saint Louis carpet racing!! >

Saint Louis carpet racing!!

Saint Louis carpet racing!!

Old 12-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Nick - It's killing you not to come race with us. I know it is........ Just dump that offroad electric stuff and buy a TC. You're already wipping Ken in offroad regularly. There's no more fun to be had there.

To be honest about the chunking tires issue: I am not chunking front tires (havn't ruined one yet). It's always my rear tires. That tells me I need to learn to drive in traffic better. Most of the time it happens when I get tangled up with someone else.

The bottom line is this: We're getting good turnouts and new racers every week. This kind of debate is good because it keeps people thinking about the hobby and racing. I wouldn't let this talk about tires scare anyone away from giving it a try. Even a chunked tire will get around the track (much like a bald crime fighter tire in offroad). However, it won't be as fast as a new set. Nick - you smoked me plenty of times with bald crime fighters....

Dodgeguy - hope you make it over some weekend. Here are some answers to your questions.

How is the turn out on Saturdays? Since I normally drive in on Friday night from Cincinnati. Friday racing is gone.
- Saturdays have not been good for TCs. Most of us are racing on Friday nights or Sundays. The Micro guys are showing up on Saturdays.

So stock TC is the larger class right now?
- Stock TC is the largest class right now. There is no 19T or Mod TC right now. Some guys are running 1/12 scale stock.

What foam compounds are working?
- Most guys are running double pink in the back and double pink / orange up front. Me personally, I like Purple rears and Purple / orange up front. It may not be as fast, but it seems easier to drive (which may equate to faster)

What are the entry fees?
- entry fees are $12 dollars 1st class (not sure about second class)

Are personals used?
- personals are used. Chris also has club transponders.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

OK, how about we run a 19 turn foam class first, it would make the cars faster, the motors would last longer. (bearings)

And I also see no one mentioned the wear on the carpet with rubber tires, or did we all forget we are borrowing this carpet? You can check with any track that runs rubber and then any that is foam only and ask why they want foam only. The rubber gets warm and it is kinda like a spinning rubber wheel yanking the fibers out of the carpet. If ya don't beleive me rev you car and put the tire on your arm, foams you yelp, rubber you scream!! You ever seen those epilady things that women use on there legs, kinda like that!

And about mod you stay further away from the boards? The line doesen't drastically change just because you go faster, it stays pretty close to the same. Also on the battery issue with mod, the better the batts the faster you go, that is and always will be the case with electric ANYTHING!!! And the new mods don't require as many rebuilds, but you still need the same lathe, more expensive brushes (anyone seen the price of those XXX's), springs, and when you do wear the motor it is 60-80 bucks to replace it. I still think the future of electric lies with brushless, if it is speed and long motor life you want this is the ticket! But you still need batt's!

We are all very competitive people, that is why we race! And not all of us have endless wallets, so I can see how we want to make racing cheaper, but one thing in my 17 years of racing i have seen is that no matter what you are racing, it will always be expensive! And that is because we all want to win, the first time someone comes in and runns a new set of rubbers every round and puts a whoopin on us, we all will be running new in every round, example: The X-Ray is a very good car, but there is a lot of very good cars on the market, why did most of us buy x-ray's, cause it is the fast car at our track, this time it happens to be Drew, 5 years ago it was Steve Smith, Sean Cocheran, Skip, And Steve Laferra, And the hot car was what they were running, the TC3.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I am surprised I do not hear some of you guys are not running HPI Pro 4's. I had FT TC4 for about 2 months. After pushing around the track. I got a Pro 4.Best thing I did. The Xray is nice. But the Pro4 is easier on the wallet. And it is fast.

I personaly never liked rubber tires on carpet.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (98%+)

And I also see no one mentioned the wear on the carpet with rubber tires, or did we all forget we are borrowing this carpet?
This is news to me. Does the owner of the carpet really expect it not to wear out? Are we only allowed a certain amount of wear for the season? What if we were getting a consistent 50-60 racers a night, that would certainly accelerate the wearing of the carpet. Many of the local carpet tracks (Kansas City/Fastlane, Chicago/IRP, Milwalkee/Trackside, Hisnhers/Bloomington, Perfectslot/Springfield,) all run rubber on carpet. Maybe some of the business funds should go towards maintaining the carpet.
Does the business even plan on purchasing carpet? What is the expected life of such carpet? These would be good answers to know.

And that is because we all want to win, the first time someone comes in and runns a new set of rubbers every round and puts a whoopin on us, we all will be running new in every round,
New rubbers need to be scuffed in to perform at their max potential. All rubber tires have a specific number of heat cycles before they start to fall off. However, during their race life you won't be replacing them for failure (chunks, slices, and becoming too small) unless you just happen to destroy a rim. Which is now less likely due to the newer wheels.

The X-Ray is a very good car, but there is a lot of very good cars on the market, why did most of us buy x-ray's, cause it is the fast car at our track
Not just at our track but at every national / international event. I don't think too many new guys would show up and buy TC3 if our fastest guy never bothered to go out and buy a new car. The latest and greatest technology will always be an improvement on old technology givin the right research and developement.

OK, how about we run a 19 turn foam class first, it would make the cars faster, the motors would last longer. (bearings)
I'm up for this, however foam wear will increase causing all those side effects (setup changes) to take place even more quickly. I could benifit from the 19T racing, that's what I run in the Allstar Carpet Series.
I think the tires are more of an issue than the bushings and bearings.
No setup changes needed for a wearing out bushing.

Last edited by evostyle; 12-01-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

On the carpet issue, I don't own this carpet, if I did I still don't know if I would allow rubber or not, the track does loose traction, fuzz up, and looses fibers with rubber tires, example- Pontoon bought new carpet-we ran rubber tires for 2 seasons, we ruined the carpet, Now Pontoons carpet is going on 3 years now, with picking it up and putting it down 3 times, there has never been a rubber tired TC on this carpet, and how much fuzz do you have in your car? Hardly any. Right! evryone running foams will get upset when there lap times get slower from the rubber erasing the traction.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

And also on tires, run a rubber for 3 runs and ten look at your times, every run is slower, I did this all summer in case you forgot!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

I sense some negativity from the track director / owner. Looks like the rubber issue is dead. I quess I'll go ahead and order up my dozen of NEW foam tires to stay ahead of the competition along with some new stock motors with XXX brushes and of course 1.21 battery packs to keep it fast.
Nobody ever said racing would be cheap anyways.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'd like to try 19 turn with foams. I eventually want to try rubber but I'm still learning how to set my car up with the foams. If we tried rubber I'd be lost again and It would interfere with the little I've learned with the foams, I'd get frustrated and before you know it I'd be back to the offroad stuff.
If you order tires online there only $15 or so. Each weekend I only chunk one or two tires so I only replace one or two. Problem is it becomes a pain the the a$$ to get them all the same size.

What's a decent brand 19 turn motor? I might order one and try it out next weekend.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Larry - 19T sounds like going to a Ballet (I hope everyone knows what a ballet is) that uses pasties.. Not quite the full effect.

I would think if we want to try something (sticking with foam) we should go all out and have a mod class.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Not to step on toes. But some of you have complained about chunking tires in stock. Tire chunking will only get worse with mod. And better have some spare parts for you Xrays.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

The only reason I am negative on this issue is because I have been through this very same discusion many times before, it is like beating a dead horse!

I have been down this road on the rubber vs. foam issue many times, as I have said before, I have been doing this since it started!!! And you are right about this issue, I can not let people run rubber tires until I purchase the track from Pontoon, and honestly if we ran rubber on this carpet I wouldn't purchase it! I want it to last as long as possible and make as many racers happy as I can. Sorry if I come off as an ass, but I do have my opinions and sometimes they are wrong, but when I go off of experiance I am usually right. And I can pretty much say that I have turned more laps with rubber tires than ANYONE at the track, and been to more events with rubber tire races and that includes our big guns! Skip, Steve, Drew, Larry, in fact if I remember correctly Steve S, Sean C, Steve L, Skip S, and Jim P, started running TC's only when foams were available for TC's.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Evo, I know you are getting tired of this spending on equipment, but like you said, racing is and always will be expensive, do you really think I wouldn't still buy the good brushes, new tires, high priced batt's, and all the like, even if we were running a spec class!! There is always someone looking for the edge in racing, that is why we all spend to keep our cars in top shape.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

ok........

I'm ready to move on.

I'll be in the shop setting up my car.

Larry
Old 12-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Has anyone heard of rubber tires, Maybe we should try them at the track.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Just kidding,

I would like to try mod sometime. I have a 12x2 vantage motor, Does sunday sound good? to soon?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.