Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feeler for Southeast CT

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Feeler for Southeast CT

Im just wondering if there is a big enough crowd near the Groton area that would be interested in a decent Shop/Track. This is something im considering on starting, after I do alot of research. Groton will not be the location but somewhere around that area. Ive looked for some tracks around there but most are clear across state. Looking to start indoor offroad and an outdoor onroad, or the otherway around depending on the interests. This will be a couple years if I do end up doing this as I am currently in WA. Thanks for any input, both good and bad.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roy Seymour
Im just wondering if there is a big enough crowd near the Groton area that would be interested in a decent Shop/Track. This is something im considering on starting, after I do alot of research. Groton will not be the location but somewhere around that area. Ive looked for some tracks around there but most are clear across state. Looking to start indoor offroad and an outdoor onroad, or the otherway around depending on the interests. This will be a couple years if I do end up doing this as I am currently in WA. Thanks for any input, both good and bad.
There are already too many tracks in CT, but they are all located in either the western or northern part of the state.
The Groton area would probably be able to do well (if done correctly) as it'd draw largely from the RI and Cape areas.
I say go for it!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We could certainly benefit from an outdoor onroad track. Don't have any of those here. Far too many offroad tracks in CT.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by taco94
We could certainly benefit from an outdoor onroad track. Don't have any of those here. Far too many offroad tracks in CT.
Rc madness just paved a new outdoor track.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Im thinking of doing both, something for both seasons of CT. Also another question, I know theres a difference of size to build for. 1/10 is a popular class size, if theres enough people with 1/8 Id look into finding a space big enough.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EricW
Rc madness just paved a new outdoor track.
That was made more for the electric cars. Not enough room to stretch my nitro's legs. I was excited when I first heard, but then I saw the size of it.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yeah, I think that Chris put that asphalt down just for the TCS race.
You'd friggin drool if you saw the Kart track that's right down the road from RCHaM in Winsted Derrek.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

That was made more for the electric cars. Not enough room to stretch my nitro's legs. I was excited when I first heard, but then I saw the size of it.
Control Freakz is supposed to reopen, they just made a post about a month ago that they found a new location.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

we got guys running their nitro cars on the RCM paved track. with no problems. Plenty of lane space.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another vote for something around the Groton, CT area. I've just gotten back into RC cars and am only finding tracks > 1 hr drive from south eastern CT.

I have a 1/10 Slash 4x4 so I vote for a dirt offroad track of some kind.

Also have a TRC 1/10 pan car from early '90s so something onroad would be a 2nd choice.

BTW - I called the phone number for ControlFreakz and a guy at the Kawasaki dealership said they have the track closed and are not re-opening. If they transplanted to another address/phone number I do know and the website says closed.

May I ask what the status is for your plans for setting up a track / shop in south eastern CT? (Still on or off?)
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Onroad would definitely be cheaper to get going, and yeah almost zero prescence in CT..

But I don't think the existing offorad tracks in the Waterbury area is the same market as south eastern CT. (So the "competition" issue would be non existant IMO bvewtween tracks.. Driving an hour each way to practice and deal with I-84 traffic can kinda wear on you over time, so I would love a SE track..

Plus anywhere near Groton can tap into the Navalbase crowd, and you also have zero tracks in RI, so you can also capture that crowd also....

If think if marketed right, it could be very successful...

(Only thing that worries me about off-road outdoor tracks is BMX/quad racers tearing it up I up on off hours. So it would hopefully be fenced in some way so they couldn't get in.. )

b/c of that maybe having the onroad outdoor and the offroad indoor would be best option. Plenty of ideas!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Still thinking about it, I run indoor offroad over here in Bremerton, WA and I ask the guys questions all the time... but the owner has the advantage that he had a real cushy job as a motorcycle dealer/service as well.... so me getting a buisness loan to get this running would probably be the only thing holding me up... as well as brushing up on buisness, balancing books, hiring, ordering and all sorts of stuff...

But the answer is yes, this will be a while in the making if i do pull this off, and probably will be going into it with somebody else that is enthusiatic and probably knows more than i... lets face it i just started a year ago and dont know everything, but learning a lot everytime i look into it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Count me in for any volunteer work you need to get going and maintain the track. I'll even put some $$$ up and work with you as part time help, but I am also not experienced in the details of running track and the business side....
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Awesome, if it turns out that I can find a decent venue and learn everything in time... I'll definantely need the help.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Rookie

I have explored this business plan over the years and it seems for what ever reason nothing ever grows legs here. I grew up in Waterford and have lived all over and keep ending up back here, so I have looked at this several times since the 80s. With the Navy base in the area one would think you would find a good lot of interested candidates that would keep a facility going year round, but despite that market and the local non-military nothing ever has staying power and that even includes, casual parking lot meet ups or races. Rumor has it there will be an outdoor dirt track next year in the Mystic area, the guy that built the paint ball place out there in the woods has a pretty good chunk of left over land, all the equipment needed to build a track and is gonna have a go at it. He has been asking around Lee's Toy and Hobby and I know they have offered support and even sponsorship for a track in this area. So after that dissertation the long and short is if you are going to really have at it, get in contact with me and I would be very interested in working with you to bring this to fruition. Also give the guys over at Lee's a call, love or hate them they have been around a LONG time and do have a good idea of whats come and gone and what the pulse might be for local desire or need. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.