Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumps and Jumps 2010 - 2011 season

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Chris I think your ideas are good. I think you just need to lay down the law. It makes sense to me that you either run what came in the box or you run mod class. I dont know a whole lot but I have noticed that stock vs mod these trucks are all about the same speed so it makes sense to put everyones who is not stock in the mod class. It also ought to make it easier to enforce.

Either way make your own rules and we will follow them. Im going to wait till you make them before I decide what to get.....but I am leaning towards a brushless rtr SC10.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

OH and I dont know how I forgot to mention I laughed like an idiot when I watched your video. I posted it on another forum I hope you dont mind.

I wanted to post it on the sgrid too but thought I might wanna find out how you felt about that first.

Looking forward to getting back up there this year and hoping I can make it a regular thing instead of once a year.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Im really having a hard time stopping myself from buying a sc10 brushless rtr right now. Can anyone tell me any reason I shouldnt?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
SPN
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 201 (100%+)

Chris,

That video was hilarious! Definitely pumped about this new season. I'm also looking forward to more videos after big races too

At some of the other tracks they do allow timing advancements, but from what I've seen the faster guys aren't running timing...they're just geared higher.

If you do allow timing advancement I don't believe it would effect anything from what I mentioned above. It's your call however and like most here...I'm just excited to get back there and run

Hope this helps.

Carey
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Well I did it. I bought a SC10 brushless rtr off ebay for $235 shipped. I just couldnt pass that up.

Tell me what class Im going to be in and what the rules are and I'll see y'all there.

I assume lipos are legal in all classes? Can someone suggest one? AE is selling a 20C 5000mah hardcase 2S lipo for $55
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris mckinney
Before I forget, are the tracks letting you run 17.5 open or do they have to be in blinky mode?
I say blinky mode, leave the laptops at home.
They are running whatever setup they want with the speedo. It didn't make any difference tonight at PS as the top 3 trucks has standard timing setups. They all seem and even with the Tekins running low timing to keep the motors from getting hot on the 6 minutes heats and 10 minute mains. I'm probably one of the few that will run big timimg and lower gearing instead of the high gearing and low timing.

17.5 at PS is all open tires, any 17.5 and so on. Basically ROAR rules for this class.

The 17.5 class is just like any other open class but has the 17.5 motor limit. They where only a lap faster tonight because the track has so much traction from the rain.

Bumps has never been a big power track and an open 17.5 class will not a ton faster than a spec class.

I see both sides and like a spec class but also like the 17.5 class as you can use some of the new cool SCT stuff that is out on your truck.

In the end its racing and that said its not always cheap. Hasn't been in the 20 plus years I have done it. Its not going to change as racing is racing which means money. Bashing can be cheap..............racing is not cheap.

Chris hope your summer off rested your brain some because its going to get over worked on the SCT class and oval classes for this year.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:09 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hey i see reigle as a maverick, runnin in spec trim to see how many scalps he can take each wk. Doing so will likely incite sales for chris courtesy of those who feel the need, the need for 'more' speed.

R
Old 09-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sure jason post on sgrid - I haven't been over there in years - I thought that place died.

I have had great luck with the yeah racing lipo's 5200 - 30c for $63
if you want cheaper buy the venom 4000 20c for $40
most all lipo's are of equal value - not like the old nimh days.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

The grid is pretty dead but I so much prefer that style forum I still go there. ROAR has been a pretty hot topic over there so I thought the video would be fun to post.

I know the technical difference between a 30C and 20C pack but is there any practical difference. I mean am I going to feel the difference between the 2. Is one going to outlast the other (charge cycles).

Is the current idea to have 3 classes of short course? Spec, 17.5, and mod? Where would 4wd factor in? a potential 4th class?

At first that seems like its kinda out of hand but really it could work to your advantage as much as anything. What Im thinking is people who own multiple trucks will be able to run 2 maybe 3 classes by having trucks set up differently. As cheap as these trucks are (spec) I could easily see myself picking up a 2nd to get into a 2nd class.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance but where does the 3300kv brushless motor that comes with the SC10 brushless rtr stack up. Like is it a 17.5 or 13.5? Frankly I dont really even know what the 17.5 or 13.5 are. My guess was 17.5 was like a brushed stock and a 13.5 was like a brushed 19T.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
My guess was 17.5 was like a brushed stock and a 13.5 was like a brushed 19T.
I think you're right.
Ive seen alot of motors marketed as that 13.5 = 19 turn.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

The whole KV thing really confuses me. I can figure out the 17.5-5.5 stuff but KV has me scratching my head. I am sure as I run more electric it will all eventually make sense but since I havent really raced electric since we all ran brushed motors and nimh packs its all pretty confusing right now.

Does a sc10 brushless rtr fall into the mod class? I was just checking the rules on the bumps website but I assume they were written before the brushless rtr came out.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey Chris,

Not sure about anyone else but at Pit Stop they allow laptops for 17.5

My 2 cents on spec class: True spec would be if everyone were required to run the same truck out of the box as when the Slash 1st came out it was all there was. Now with so many different trucks with different levels of performance I feel the only way to keep it equal is to allow racers to mix rtr parts from the different kits. It seems to be working well at Pit Stop, we had 3 heats of spec trucks during the summer. My current truck is a rtr SC10 with Traxxas esc, servo and motor and HPI tires on Associated wheels (all from rtr kits) but what it boils down to is if I wanna run there I'll build it the way you say it needs to be.

I run a FT SC10 in 17.5 class and still don't quite understand why this class exists...I would like to see this class just go to modified/open SCT.

I really like the idea of have an entry level class where new racers have a place to start out, something we lack at Pit Stop.

Thanks,

Butch
Old 09-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My gut is telling me that there should be only 2 classes
Spec - just like we ran last year - no mixing of different manufacturers components, they all have trade offs and that's the only thing that keeps you from needing a blitz with an sc-10 motor and slash tires. Silly to me to turn a $200 truck into a $325 truck, or worse if the slash doesn't compete with the blitz with all the other stuff on it you would need a new truck.

And Mod - I can't imagine that 17.5 will go any slower than a 4.5 inside at bumps, Frymeyer and Reigle proved that last year, I just want there to be good competition in the mod class, I am not sure open mod is the way to go in regards to that, because some people will think they need a 8.5 to compete but in all actuality it will probably make them slower. I am also thinking blinky mode, just because it sucks to have that as another variable in racing.

But theses are just my thoughts so far.
I would be interested to hear from Pat, Frymeyer, and Reigle on this.
Thanks
Chris
Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris mckinney
My gut is telling me that there should be only 2 classes
Spec - just like we ran last year - no mixing of different manufacturers components, they all have trade offs and that's the only thing that keeps you from needing a blitz with an sc-10 motor and slash tires. Silly to me to turn a $200 truck into a $325 truck, or worse if the slash doesn't compete with the blitz with all the other stuff on it you would need a new truck.

And Mod - I can't imagine that 17.5 will go any slower than a 4.5 inside at bumps, Frymeyer and Reigle proved that last year, I just want there to be good competition in the mod class, I am not sure open mod is the way to go in regards to that, because some people will think they need a 8.5 to compete but in all actuality it will probably make them slower. I am also thinking blinky mode, just because it sucks to have that as another variable in racing.

But theses are just my thoughts so far.
I would be interested to hear from Pat, Frymeyer, and Reigle on this.
Thanks
Chris
How about instead of SPEC and Pro SPEC like last year you have the SPEC class you mentioned and then an open Pro class with a 17.5 motor limit (if you want to go that fast, get a mod truck/buggy) but also allow the stock equipment from the RTRs as well. You basically have the same 2 classes as last year with the exception of letting 17.5s (and mixed RTR trucks) run in the Pro class.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The mixing of different rtr parts is not a lot cheaper than running mod, you will still be buying different tires, motors, speedos, servos etc. And taking the best parts from each vehicle still makes it most costly for new people to compete. I am up for whatever Chris decides, just waiting on the rules to see what truck I will buy now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.