Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum
NEW TRACK AT PITTSBURGH RACEWAY PARK IN NEW ALEXANDRIA  PA >

NEW TRACK AT PITTSBURGH RACEWAY PARK IN NEW ALEXANDRIA PA

NEW TRACK AT PITTSBURGH RACEWAY PARK IN NEW ALEXANDRIA PA

Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why does this seem to be going where it did last year?Everyone has opinions on what it should be.Last year Only 2 people showed up to build the Track,2! I took 2 days of my vacation and helped build the track and it was still too darn big.Trying to make it so you can run 1/16to 1/5th is truly and utterly pointless.Chris couldnt get this through his head either.What do most people race around here? 1/10th scale and 1/8th scale.Trying to make the track for 1 or 2 guys to run 1/5th scale is truly a waste.That facility has so much potential and the space.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
I think what killed that track was they attempted to run 1/5 Scale and 1/10 Scale on the same track. This area NEEDS a 1/8 Scale track. I said it a while ago, the way that everything is set-up, it could easily be the East Coast equivalent to the Nitro Pit. Build a SWEET track and host a big race, and people will come. Just make sure you know what you are doing so you don't scare people away. If you have lighting, scoring, a great track (with actual 1/8 jumps, elevation changes, ect.) a drivers stand and pit lane, people will come to race.

One recommendation that I made last year was to put the entire track on a slope and make it similar to Leisure Hours. Not only would that make elevation changes and visibility easy, but it will make drainage even easier. The layout is important, but it's the little things that attract the better racers. I am not sure who is in charge and if he is even a member on RCTech, but I would love to come out and help get things going in the right direction. Like I said, the location, the resources, and physical layout of the area are perfect for a top notch track. We just need a group of dedicated racers and some funding to make it happen.
Again i didnt see u out there last year with a shovel.Why do we need a 1/8th scale only track, as I recall at Dougs last nitro cash race the electric 10th scale outnumbered the nitro cars.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Sgt Craig
Again i didnt see u out there last year with a shovel.Why do we need a 1/8th scale only track, as I recall at Dougs last nitro cash race the electric 10th scale outnumbered the nitro cars.
Look at LCRC...there were over 150 entries at the last club race last year. If I remember correctly ~130 of them were 1/8 Scale. The interest is in 1/8 Scale whether it is electric or nitro, but when you build 1/10 Scale tracks...you chase all of the 1/8 Scales away. I know a TON of people who love McCullough's but never come because there is always a layout made to the 1/10 Vehicles liking. Aside from Stock Corr Truck, no one runs 1/10 scale outdoors. I can recall numerous times where Doug had to put Mod 4wd, Mod Truck, and Mod 2wd all in the same class.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I know they said about 1/5th scales running out there last year but I think I saw one and I was there a good bit. Adam is a die hard fifth scale guy and built his own 10hp motor for them to boot, his passion for fifths might bring all of his customers out with the big guns! I'm up for whatever out there, as long as the hours are good. Ill buy another fifth if that's what everyone else is running. Lights would be great to have, then when the gates are open you can have an open practice or something, rather than only when someone can be there with you.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Preach on brother CJ! This place needs a 1/8 track. Something with lap times from 35-50 sec. Bigger air, wider lanes ect. Prp could be the east coast nitro pit if done right.

Last edited by rcscotty; 03-22-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I also recommend that the track be built for mostly for 1/8 scale. I know a lot of people in central PA that would be interested in a track like that.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yet another here looking for an actual 8th scale track.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Adept

Dude, my 2011 race schedule is full of tracks that are 4+ hours away so I can go race on big tracks. Being cooped up all winter racing indoor on the smaller tracks has me itching to go stretch the legs out on my 1/8 scales. Adam has started a new thread, maybe we should take all of the chatter over there.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcscotty
Dude, my 2011 race schedule is full of tracks that are 4+ hours away so I can go race on big tracks. Being cooped up all winter racing indoor on the smaller tracks has me itching to go stretch the legs out on my 1/8 scales. Adam has started a new thread, maybe we should take all of the chatter over there.
CJ has a point as well. The 8th scale turnout at LCRC was very good on the season finale. PRP is a large area, and definitely has the potential and location to be "the big track" that suits 8th scale's more than any other track in the State for the most part. If it's built and ran well, the people will come. I believe your best bet would be to forget the 18th and 5th scale tracks and focus on the 8th scale build. I have never seen more than 1 or 2 5th scales at a track before and same goes for the 18th scales.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rob martin
Not puttin anyone down but i love how these people who've never owned a track have these dreams of running multiple tracks. Its hard enough to run 1 track.... I'll be the first to say it... ill beleive it when i see it. Especially after last year with chris doing it.
Originally Posted by rob martin
IMO thats is the one of the biggest problems .. Theres only so many racers within the western/central part of this state. With places out west like lcrc and other tracks guys arent goin to waste a raceday racing at a track where theres 1/5ths running on the same track as 1/10. It just wont work..(unless he plans on having multiple tracks like ive heard)) When u race on the same day with 2 diffrent facilitys thats gonna automatically cut the racers in half. Right now in this area your main group(i would say 90%or more) race at Mcculloughs. There are weekends at Mcculloughs where the turnouts are not too great and Mcculloughs track has been around for awhile and attracts out of state people etc on a week to week basis. Another thing to mention word of mouth is a big thing. I know alot of people wont go back out to PRP because of what chris did. Im not saying this new guy wont do a better job but alot of people just dont take this prp thing seriously and look at it as more of a basher session. I mean just looking at the size of the track that was listed in a earlier post (180' x 115') that IMO cuts out 1/10 scale right off the bat. Thats a pretty big size and is geared more towards 1/8th 1/5th etc. I would really like to see another track in the area but all of this talk about 1/18th track,1/8th track,1/10 track etc I think is a big joke. Like i said it's hard enough to bring in racers for 1 track and maintain 1 track. Especially for people(adam) that have zero race experience building or running a track. Im done with my rant here but like i said i wish them the best
well i hope to see you out there because it all comes down to who is running it and how it is ran. once you see the lay out off the tracks you will see how we can run so many different classes and we can make arrangements for different classes to run on different days. once we see how many guys are there and what they are running, it will be scheduled accordingly.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Its nice to know that there are other tracks in the area but if its running 1/18 and 1/5 scale then count me OUT! Its hard enough to maintain a 1/10 scale track what will a 1/18 scale do after a 1/5 scale put pot holes all over the place. Ive been racing since 1983 and i have seen hobby shops and tracks come and go. But ive never seen nothing like this. I give it one more season at this pace and next year it will be the community garden. Look around at whats hot now and its 1/10 short course and 1/8 Buggy & Truggy. Its a tough hobby just ask Doug.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RickyBBad
Its nice to know that there are other tracks in the area but if its running 1/18 and 1/5 scale then count me OUT! Its hard enough to maintain a 1/10 scale track what will a 1/18 scale do after a 1/5 scale put pot holes all over the place. Ive been racing since 1983 and i have seen hobby shops and tracks come and go. But ive never seen nothing like this. I give it one more season at this pace and next year it will be the community garden. Look around at whats hot now and its 1/10 short course and 1/8 Buggy & Truggy. Its a tough hobby just ask Doug.
you will have to come out and see for yourself because this is going to 1 of the nicest facilities that you will ever be at. prp and myself have all the resources to keep the tracks very well maintained they just werent used last year. the 1/18th car with be ran on the oval not the off road coarse and once you see the lay out of the off road coares you will see how alittle bit of everything will be able to run there.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The industry right now is 1/8 scale and 1/10 sct....
Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Adam SMYH
you will have to come out and see for yourself because this is going to 1 of the nicest facilities that you will ever be at. prp and myself have all the resources to keep the tracks very well maintained they just werent used last year. the 1/18th car with be ran on the oval not the off road coarse and once you see the lay out of the off road coares you will see how alittle bit of everything will be able to run there.
Hi Adam my name is Rick. You have a great opportunity bring the West Coast to the East. Ive heard of your resources to complete this project. Im not sure how much competition race experience you have but ive been racing competitive since 1983 and i can assure you that the RC competition racing market is thin at best. You have to go with whats hot and yeah its nice to own a 1/18 scale and 1/5 scale car but its not going to draw a competitive crowd. For one the cost for 1/5 scale cars are way over the top. And what about parts when someone breaks will you have a full line of parts for something like that, and the same thing with 1/18 scale. Most Hobby Shops have on stock 1/10 and 1/8 scale stuff because it sales. as a hobby shop owner you cant afford to have that setting on your shelf because most likely you are going to eat those parts i promise you that. Take a pole of 1/5 scale racers that will be regulars week in and week out at your track. see for your self. most of the guys around here that own a 1/5 scale are back yard bashers and have never raced in a organized race to date. Look its just not possible to run these cars on the same track. You need people with race experience to build and promote this track. If you dont have that then its not going to work. RC Tech is not going to get it done alone with out real racers support!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Local 1/10 racer here down Rt. 22 with another vote for 1/10-1/8. Would be stoked if it's designed for such, but I might be perhaps relegated to a curious but supportive spectator if 1/5 is run. But, I'd buy a coke to support the track while I was there. New to area, but from the pics, last years track looked incredible - congrats to the builders - but it may have been too big for my 1/10 SC. Either way, I'd like to credit to the new owner for taking this on no matter their decisions. I'd rather try to run a big track or watch a race/practice on an off day than have nothing in my area. I personally can only offer my opinion as to what I may like as a paying customer/supporter/enthusiast to help him make best decisions for his track. This may encourage others in the future. This is only my opinion mind you, and I completely understand everyone's needs, but I can offer nothing but support as I would in the pits and especially as I have been shown as a relatively newb racer by others when I needed it. I appreciated it immensely. Maybe my outlook will change in time, but as for this, I know I don't have the b***s to take this on. I personally am glad there are still people willing to take on the challenge of building a RC race track, especially one with the potential there, for our benefit, here in western PA (still pulling for 10th/8th scales though ). Best of luck with your decisions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.