Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum
Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan >

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wolfeml
yeah I tried that Paulie, but only if I could run 3 tires on one side of the truggy could I get all the directions of the tires the same. When buying a set they are supposed to come with the ability to run the set in the front or the rear, not the right side or the left side. I guess the guy gluing this side fudged it up. Maybe Ill just drop the money to get a new set for the front to keep the consistancy. I guess this is what I get for being lazy and not glueing them myself.
Man, sorry to hear that. Can you can get another set and return the bad ones? Or are they already opened? Hope it works out for ya...

On a different note, do you guys hear that?

Nope, me either...it's the sound of silence from Jon...(yes, I'm talking smack )

Why do you ask? Well, lets just say he won't be picking on me for only having a nitro buggy, because I just pulled the trigger on the VORZA!!! Got a killer deal on it, as well as some other *parts*.

Yes Jon, Paulie's adding a brushless 1/8th scale buggy to his staple! Guess you're gonna have to find someone else who's nitro only to mess with now, he he he.

Oh wait, I think just about everyone has both now! HA HA HA.

I really want those 5200 30C Turnigy hardcase batteries to use with it, but since they are out of stock I guess I can use my G-Style 4000mah 35C's. I have 4 of them brand new, so that should get me started...

Iggy, you think those will do? I'll be running 2 of them for 4S total with the 2200kv set up. Will that be enough, or do you think I'll need the 5200's?

- Paulie
Old 12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm sorry did someone say silence from Jon? Nice try Paulie! Haven't left yet, and the have Internet on the boat anywho.

Glad to see most guys are getting electric and we will have enough for a class when we have a race and won't have to get around the flaming (and I mean FLAMING!)out nitro buggies or ones that were tuned extra rich!

oh and I ordered 10 Caster 748 fusions from Caster Racing for the students...so is there enough for nitro class and more?

On the equipment, I talked with Mike getting the equipment from FMB on the NY weekend, he'll give a go. We've had the equipment out twice for the big track and it takes a long time to work with it. I'm thinking THREE days for all the tracks to be done. Ethan worked on the double for almost two hours and the 1/10 track has what eight jumps? So thats just four hours on that one and another on the kiddie track...which BTW is also perfect for 1/16 and 1/18 cars, like the little slashes...Plus reworking most of the 1/8 track and slurrying the jump faces....

I'm with the opening on the 9th, driver stand or not, it will happen and I can wait a little longer until it is all done and be able to see and the track will last longer if done right.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RC shop in Nago

Can anyone give me directions to the hobby shop located in Nago? Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Drivers Stand

Guys, since a permanent drivers stand seems to be a show stopper, why don't we focus on a temporary one for the time being? Just a thought, but I can ask MCCS or 18SVS for a section of bleachers, and maybe Ron Phipps, the welding instructor at Kubasaki, can weld on some kind of safety railing. Again, just a thought.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Default Event Coverage

Rob, with regards to getting some exposure for the track, I too know a couple of reporters from Okinawa Marines as well as the 18WG PAO. I am also a stringer for Pacific Stars & Stripes' weekly supplement so you can count on an article in Oki Stripes. Of course an article in the MCCS monthly magazine would be golden.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Crazy8
Can anyone give me directions to the hobby shop located in Nago? Thanks
Nago? You mean Naha? I'm not aware of any in Nago...

If you meant Naha, you are talking about Siro.

Take Hwy 58 towards Naha. You'll drive over the two big bridges (first one is near Arin Krin, the garlic house, and the second one is right after Camp Kinser. After the second one, make the left at the first stop light. There will be a Lawson/Family Mart (I can't remember which one) on the left hand side, across the street. Make that left, and continue to drive straight. You'll go straight for a little while, and cross over another bridge (which crosses over Hwy 330). Right after you drive over that bridge, the hobby shop is on your left hand side, about 2 blocks ahead. You'll see a Futaba and Tamiya Pro Shop sign I believe.

Hope that helps.

- Paulie
Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default SC Class

A guy I know who races in the stock Slash class at a track in Sacramento said that the track has been trying out some kind of production SC class for Slashes, Strikers, Blitzes and SC10s. Basically as long as the trucks are in the RTR form they can race in the class. He said the rules seem to be working out and it's now the most popular class by a huge margin.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default Question

Wasn't Slasher one of Santa's reindeer? Or was it Blitzer or Striker?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

Quick update for tomorrows track work day...

I went by Foster and picked up 4 of those big fan rakes, a couple of those big, 18 inch brooms with semi-hard bristles, and 2 shovels (one pointy and one square edge).

That should get us going if there is nothing on site when we arrive.

- Paulie
Old 12-19-2009, 03:20 AM
Tech Adept

All,

I went by Foster last nigh and picked up a couple of the fan rakes as well,

So with the ones Paulie bought, the ones I bought , all shovels, hard rakes and brooms, we shoul be golden.

I went by the track for a while today, the rain made a huge difference, the 1/8th track looks really good,

The 1/10th track settled very nicely and will make removing rocks and rakeing easy.

The beginners course had some standing water on the upper end, but that will be an easy fix, I will dump a bucket of dirt and we can work it in and level the area.

As for the stand,

I sat and looked at the area for a while today and thought about the bleacher section as well, I thing it would be a good temp fix and can be spun to the leadership to push the issue for a safer, more permanent stand...

I will also be contacting Col Ramey on Mondaymorning for a sit down meeting to discuss options and what we CAN do...

I was at R/C paradise around 6:30, there was a guy his wife and son looking around,

I asked them if they were into R/C, he said, not yet, but his neighbor just bought a really nice car and it looks like a great time, so they were doing some shopping around...

I asked where they lived, he said Courtney so I asked him if he was aware of the track that was being put in there.

He was, and that he and his son were very excited to give it a try, especially since it was so close.

I also spoke with the R?P guys about the 9th, they seemed very excited and said they will be there, I also asked if we can put a sign/poster up, they said yes... so now I guess we have to design one... any takers?

I will be at the track around 9-9:30 tomorrow, see you all there.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

We have a bunch of dirt left over correct? Can we build maybe a small dirt mound and use that for a short terms stand? It'll probably only be 4-5 ft tall and I don't think you need railings for that. Just a suggestion.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Addict

Josh,

I stood on our dirt mound to try and drive fom it last time and honestly it wasn't all that good, but maybe it was because of it's location in relationship to the track.

Funny you guys mentioned the bleachers thing. I said that a long time ago to someone and they looked at me like I was crazy. I think that could work in the meantime.

I'll be there around 10am tomorrow. I have to go all the way to Jons house to get his hand tools.

After the 1/10th scale track starts to take shape, I was going to design a poster like you'd see at an amusment park, ya know, like a top-down map with the whole layout of the park, etc, with all tracks depicted and names of obsticles, etc.

That'll happen some time down the road...I think we'll need a simpler poster to put up at RCP though in the meantime.

Also, I want to make the washboard section of the 1/8th scale track tomorrow. I need to find some PVC piping long enough. I'm thinking we could nail it down just like how we've been doing the tubing, and then throw some dirt over it and pack it down. Not sure how many I want or how big diameter wise they will be. I'll get a better idea tomorrow when I get to the track, and then I'll see what the DIY stores have...

- Paulie
Old 12-19-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Addict

Real quick...

About staking the tubing down on the 1/8th scale track...

Why do we want to drive the head of the stake through the top of the tube so it's only contacting the bottom layer of the tube to the ground?

Wouldn't that just give vehicles more leverage to rip it out when they hit it?

I'd think having two points of contact (drive the stake into the tubing so it sits flush with the top of the tubing) would give the tubing more stability, and less likely to rip through when a car contacts it, no?

I'll do whatever, but I was just curious...

- Paulie
Old 12-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default I'm Blitzed!!!

Damn HPI Blitz FINALLY came in the mail on Thursday I cheaped out trying to get it for under 200 bucks and I did ($190), but it added another MONTH to the shipping time.

Now I just have to fix the leaking gearbox!

Note to self: Ship ALL r/c related items "Priority" mail no matter what the cost.

I'm Sorry, but I can't make it out on Sunday. Of all the days in a week I have the 24 Hour driving duty from 9 AM Sunday to 9 am Monday. The next 2 weekends should be clear for me though.

Last edited by P00DLE; 12-19-2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Add
Old 12-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Having the stake punched all the way down does several things:
  • allows the tubing to flex more when getting hit so less damage to cars
  • puts the stake 9 inches in instead of 4 so it won't come out
  • leaves no metal hard A arm ripping post exposed
  • the tubing will not rip out, the stuff is tough

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.