Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bando711
Swung by "THE HILL" about 3pm, you guys did a lot of nice work on the jumps(1/8 scale), how well did they launch the cars?
Thanks Ken. They aren't finished though. We still need to modify the takeoff on the first jump to match up better with the landing.

Before, the tripple launched you outwards, and it seemed like the landing on the 3rd jump was too short so it was extended to make up the difference so the cars would actually land on it.

What that created was a tabletop like landing pad with no transition (it was flat). Coupled with the rather low and fast takeoff, it was so fast that when you landed you had no time to line up properly for the double before the 180 turn.

We fixed the "landing pad" and made it a transition, so you can actually downside it properly and get a good drive towards the double. The take off still needs a little work, but not much. Iggy did some test runs with the Ve8 and even with no run up he could easiliy clear the whole thing and land on the flat at will, so we need to change the takeoff a little so it throws you more up and not out, which will slow you down a little so you can properly downside the last jump as intened and get a good line towards the double.

I also picked up the material today to make the washboard section. At first, I almost gave up, cause PVC pipe is expensive (Y1,000 each). Than I looked at shower curtain rods - too small of diameter, and even more expensive than the PVC.

I ended up getting twelve 8 foot long sections of bambo rod that are like 2 inches in diameter each for Y263 a piece.

I'm going to use the pick we signed out and dig a very small trench for each, just enough to place the rod in there so it can't roll out, then cover everything with dirt and pack it down. I'm not sure how I want to do the spacing yet though. I can either have it close together like a washboard section to have the cars skate across the top like I planned, or place them further apart and build them up a little more to create a small rhythm section.

I like the washboard idea, but if the cars skate across the top, they will wear down the dirt rather quicly and expose the bambo underneath, creating constant maintanance. A small rhythm section may be better. We'll see how it goes when I lay it all out.

Iggy packed a small seciton of the 1/10th scale track today as well, and worked on the "Dragon's Back" some too. After Scott and I were done with the tripple's landing, he took out his Blitz to test the Dragon's Back - it looked awesome! Iggy still wanted to do some minor work on the Dragon's Back, but when it's all said and done, it's going to be very, very fun. The Blitz looked real good out there.

Robert was out there as well, and cleaned up all those rocks along the sides of the main straight. He and Scott also made pit row look like pit row again. We all got a lot done today for sure, but there's still a lot left. I'll be out there tomorrow afternoon until sundown. I want to get some stuff done so I can start enjoying the fruits of our labor by New Years weekend.

- Paulie

Last edited by pgeldz; 12-24-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Paulie, where are you planning to put this section?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

It will go after the double and 180 turn, the small straight section that comes back towards stand/driving area.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Yup, just as Ken said...see pic.

- Paulie
Old 12-25-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

It is almost midnight.................and it's been raining for 16 hours, I guess we will see how good the drainage is.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

I like that idea Paulie.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Anyone gonna be up there today working?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone, My name is Zach and am new to the RC world. I am 7 years old and just got my first real RC, Traxxas Slash. I will be out at the track next weekend to help out along with my dad. See you there.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Zach! Welcome to the club! If you need any help with anything just let us know.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCzach
Hi everyone, My name is Zach and am new to the RC world. I am 7 years old and just got my first real RC, Traxxas Slash. I will be out at the track next weekend to help out along with my dad. See you there.
whoo, another slash
Old 12-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Adept

Zach,

Welcome to the fun and exciting world of R/C,

Feel free to stop by the track with your family at anytime and enjoy your new truck.

We will all be out there next weekend putting the finishing touches on all the different tracks getting ready for the grand opening, you and your dad's assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about your slash,

Have fun, We all look forward to meeting you and your dad next weekend.

Robert
Old 12-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Jason, we missed you this w/e. With the new Guy Zack(7yrs old) you and Jon will have some competition on the kiddie track
Old 12-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Tech Regular

I am in need of a new slash motor for the New Years Nite Slash Bash, anyone rat holing one? I have one on order but you never know about the mail.

Iggy, do you have an extra used MBX5 body, still waiting for mine for the Caster. If so can I borrow it until mine come in, thanks.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:00 AM
Tech Adept

All,

I went to Foster today and spoke with Safety to make sure the driver stand I am designing will be up to code.

It turns out the gentleman I spoke to isreally into R/C as well and knew exactly what I was doing (he used to race in Ca a few years ago).

After reviewing the plans, there were no issues with the stand...

I will post a pic of the design tomorrow after I get it scanned.

Here are the basics:

the floor will be 8ft high
the safety rail will go up 42 inches from there with a mid rail.

the deck will be built to code for weight bearing.

there will be 6 legs per side (two 4x16ft section bolted together.
this will make a 8x16 plaftorm, 8ft off the ground.

the stairs will be 4ft wide, centered on the width of the deck. (this will leave a 2ft section on each side to provide for a safety rail for the driver on the end of the platform.

I submitted the request for the signs today, we will be getting 2, 4x5 ft signs for the track that lists hrs, rules, etc.

also, 5 signs that are 12x12 in, they are for the 1/8th, 1/10th, rock crawling, 1/16th/beginners, refueling area and parking.

I also secured 40 large white plastic barrels, 40gals each.

We can use these as markers, and cut a few for use as marshal barriers.

I have a few other ideas as well, but will discuss with you all on site.

Also,

Paulie was able to secure the equipment for the rest of this week, due back next monday... SO...

if there is anyone available throughout the week, let Iggy, myself or Paulie know so we can get with you and work the site. (hopefully the weather will clear) .

If we can get everyone out there over the long weekend, we will be able to finishe all the tracks in a day, two at most if everyone, devides and conquers.

so contact anyone you know that may not be on the site and get them out there this weekend to help.

I hope to see you all there.

Robert
Old 12-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Regular

All sounds good Robert, I will be available Thursday and Sunday. Not sure about Saturday yet. WE NEED more than 3 guys out to get this done!!! This is the last weekend before the opening on the 9th, even if it's muddy we can get the 1/10 scale tubing down and secure the rest of the 1/8 track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.