Tech Regular

EXAMPLE:

Mamba Monster ESC can supply 120a continuous
2650kv motor can draw 120a

6500mah 20c battery = 130amps (ok)
6500mah 25c battery = 162.5amps (sweet)
5000mah 15c battery = 75amps (Not good)
4000mah 30c battery = 120amps (borderline

There is a lot of questions/concerns on how each company comes up with their C rating, which leads to question whether the battery can actually perform as advertised. I have some high dollar and some cheap batteries, I can say there is a difference,but not sure it is worth the money.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Fellas,

Got some good news to help finish packing/shaping the tracks.

One of my contacts at one of the "agencies" here has granted us use of the following:

1 Elephants Foot (what we were refeering to as a "Tamper")

1 Plate compactor (what we were referring to as a "Skid")

Two sets of dates area available (we can only choose one though)

Pick up on 23 Dec, return 28 Dec

OR

Pick up 30 Dec, return 4 Jan

We'd need a truck or a van to transport them, which I don't have (they won't fit in my EVO, he he he).

Let me know if anyone is interested in picking these items up, and which set of dates are preferrable.

I can work either weekend on the track, so either date is fine with me.

- Paulie
Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YDBD
RCP may give us some banners for the track...we can use the active hobby ones for floor matts...

We need for the ISO driver stand:
16 8' 2x4s
10 8' 2x6s
3 12' 2x10s

The are available at Sakumoto out gate 5 or at Makeman in Mihama.

As I promised, I will donate the money from the sale of my 3PK ($125). The lumber won't fit in either my GTR or the wife's Sprinter.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Have you sold the 3PK?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by YDBD
RCP may give us some banners for the track...we can use the active hobby ones for floor matts...

We need for the ISO driver stand:
16 8' 2x4s
10 8' 2x6s
3 12' 2x10s

The are available at Sakumoto out gate 5 or at Makeman in Mihama.

BTW there is a wealth of information in the off road electric section on BL motors and batteries...do a search...really....
Jon did you check the prices and do the math on the materials? I can pick them up and really don't mind paying for them. But not until there is a conex in place.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

.....all you guys talking about brushless

As you are looking some of the buggies will only have one battery tray versus two as on the Caster. If you go with one tray it brings the 3&4s batteries into play and they are bigger.........

The reason I say this is I went this way on a Kyosho and ended up buying two 11.1v 20c 4700mah batteries and have no use for them now. Here is a link for them new.......let me know if your interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-1v-20c-4700mA...item35a5b27f34
Old 12-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bando711
.....all you guys talking about brushless

As you are looking some of the buggies will only have one battery tray versus two as on the Caster. If you go with one tray it brings the 3&4s batteries into play and they are bigger.........

The reason I say this is I went this way on a Kyosho and ended up buying two 11.1v 20c 4700mah batteries and have no use for them now. Here is a link for them new.......let me know if your interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-1v-20c-4700mA...item35a5b27f34
Interested. New? Lowball $50 for the pair.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Tech Regular

They are like new, only 2 or 3 cycles. I just can't find anything to put them in....... if you want them for $50 there yours.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Unless you are going to run those 3 cell 20c 4700mAh in parallel you are going to smoke them. Running the 20c batteries are and that minimal mAh you are taking a big chance. You will only be able to pull 94 amps off of them constance. Of course you can burst for a short period of time but they can only hold up for a few seconds at the burst rate. If you can get batteries that are 25 to 30, or higher is it much safer.

Also if you plan on running the Tekin 1700kv you on 3 cell lipos you are only looking at 18,870rpm. Most of your nitro engines are easily turning 30,000 plus rpms. You can gear for higher speed but you run a risk of over tasking the motor and the batteries risking in overheating and smoking the batteries. The 1700 is really good with 5 cell packs and the 2000 is awesome with 4 cell packs. I ran them both and even ran 3 cell packs on them both and you have minimal speed. Very easy to control though. If you go with 4 cell and the 2000kv tekin you will like it. It is very smooth. I was running the setup in a jammin x2 truggy. If you are running it in a buggy then you want even higher kv. I would really look at the CC 2650kv for the buggy on 4 cell.

Don't know what kind of setup you are looking for or if you even want to maximize the setup but it is my experience that I ran all last year. Biggest things are to make sure you are geared properly and you are not pulling too many amps that the batteries cant keep up. Good luck with it and if you have any questions I would be more than happy to help you out.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Regular

You are correct Matt, if he uses them in any 1/8 application. I think he may be looking at his 1/10 DB01 that has the Mamba Max with a 5700. I beleive both the ESC and motor are rated at 100amps. The batteries should be ok but get warm on long hard runs.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Also if you plan on running the Tekin 1700kv you on 3 cell lipos you are only looking at 18,870rpm. Most of your nitro engines are easily turning 30,000 plus rpms. You can gear for higher speed but you run a risk of over tasking the motor and the batteries risking in overheating and smoking the batteries. The 1700 is really good with 5 cell packs and the 2000 is awesome with 4 cell packs. I ran them both and even ran 3 cell packs on them both and you have minimal speed. Very easy to control though. If you go with 4 cell and the 2000kv tekin you will like it. It is very smooth. I was running the setup in a jammin x2 truggy. If you are running it in a buggy then you want even higher kv. I would really look at the CC 2650kv for the buggy on 4 cell.

.[/QUOTE]

No I won't be running a 3 cell. I want to run the 4 cell for track use and maybe a 5 cell if i get better or just for speed runs/bashing. I have a friend of mine who has the 1700 and runs a 4cell in it for racing. He's got the same buggy which is why I went to him for his set up. But yeah a lot of people are saying to go higher on the kv also. Which set up gave you the safest runs and which offered you the cooler batt/motor temps? Like I said I'm new to this and have been researching on here but i'm not getting it completely yet.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bando711
You are correct Matt, if he uses them in any 1/8 application. I think he may be looking at his 1/10 DB01 that has the Mamba Max with a 5700. I beleive both the ESC and motor are rated at 100amps. The batteries should be ok but get warm on long hard runs.
pretty smart for an old man. I will be at the track this weekend if you want to bring them. Also bring that lightly tuned. I'll bring the GT.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ken, I've done the measurements, but not the money math. We need to buy and start stocking up as the stores usually don't have that many in stock, as we ran into with the stakes.

Many guys running brushless are going with LOWER KV motor and 5s-6s batteries, high voltage, lower amperage draw, cooler components.

Castle is coming out with something around 1800 for this purpose.

Paulie needs some help getting the equipment up to the track on ONE of those weekends, who ever has a van, truck, pajero..as they fit in Mike's Samurai the first weekend. The roller was too big so he had to bring his truck.

odd jobs around the track...

rock pick up on edges and corners
pound down stakes

They have the 24" red rakes at Foster Four Seasons for about 8 bucks. Should be your ticket to drive, have rake, rake two hours, pack and drive.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Josh,

The best/safest setup I found for my jammin was a Tekin 2000kv on 4s. I ran a 13 tooth pinion on the stock center. This worked great for low end and top end power. Super smooth too, no cogging. I did drop tekin and went with CC because the I kept having problems with tekin. They are so new into the 1/8th the all the bugs hadn't been worked out at the time. First the magnets exploded so I sent it back and the replaced without a problem. Then got the new motor and the magnets on the rotor were not cemented properly to it and the mags would spin but it would not spin the rotor. So they sent me the new "updated" rotor because there was a problem across the board on this. Got it and put it in.......same thing mags not cemented to the rotor properly and it just spun. After 2 months of fighting with the tekin system I went with the tried and true CC. Tekin's support was awesome but I was sick of playing the mail-back-to-the-manufacture game. Never had a problem with the CC.

With my same setup with the tekin I lost about a min on the 2200kv CC run time but the power and speed was incredible on the 4s. Tuned it with the castle link to eleminate the extreme power on the lower end and it rocked. The only reason I am back with nitro is because all the local tracks around here have 30 min mains and having a battery change killed the runs. It would hang with the nitros without a problem though. If there was only a quick change system for the batteries it would be perfect. With 25 and 30c 5000 batteries the motor would not get above 130 degrees F and batteries stayed cool and never puffed. I did have a couple 20c packs that would puff up if it was run real hard, but I stopped using those because of safety. I hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thanks Matt. Preciate the heads-up. I dunno what I'm gonna do. I like the idea of lower kv/ bigger battery. We shall see though. And whatever you do, do NOT get rid of your Nitro...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.