Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New outdoor track in orange, ca

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Default New outdoor track in orange, ca

The yard rc is outdoors and open every day. Nitro and electric are welcome. Call mario at 714-381-4419.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm not to far from there, been hearing good reviews.

what are you days/hours & track fees?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default New hours for the yard

mon closed
tue 5pm to 11pm
wed 5pm to 11pm
thur 11am to 11pm
fri 11am to 11pm
sat 11am to 11pm
sun 11am to 11pm
Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default cool track option

I had stopped by before the rain to find ( this place is so buried in a industrial complex /yard that most probably wont find it and go to lrh ha ha ha ) and check out the track and it was dialed. It was freeway smooth and so manicured , they were on top of keeping it moist and tacky. It showed they had spent alot of time prepping it. I was looking forward to running on it.

Finally had the chance to run here the other night. I got there about 8pm and there were probably 20 people there running nitro and elelctric. Most of the gassers were 1/8 scale buggies and a few smaller truggies running about. There was also the usual gaggle of sc trucks and a few e buggies 1/8 scale.

Track was coming back after a solid dose of some rain , but was in pretty good shape for a outdoor , uncovered track built on a asphalt lot. Not the best recipie for moisture control and to drain off consistantly, but it took it pretty well. They will have issues with some real rain when and if it ever comes , as this was just a light rain less than a 1/2 inch. The surface is from what I can tell just some good clean dirt, no fancy pure clay ,it had a bit of gravel and rock in it , traction was fair as it was inconsistant with its moisture as it seemed like they were letting it dry out and drain and were not putting any water on it while i was there. It was moist and tacky in some areas to dry and hard and slick in others , so kind of tricky to drive consistantly without really thinking about the traction in each area you passed over. Once the track dries out and they can start putting some water in it to get it more consistant it should end up being a pretty good med plus bite track.It was definitly a bit more abrasive than the usual clay we run indoors and I noticed a pretty good amount of wear on my softer indoor clay compund tires , so plan ahead and gear up for this surface with a bit tougher tread compund, leave the gold bar codes at home as they wont last but a few nights on this surface. Pins seemed to be the norm with city blocks and gladiator type treads hooking up well on this eve.
The layout was pretty fun and flowing for the most part, open enough to wheel the big 1/8 scales around and with a long straight away into a right hand sweeper that let the sc trucks test the top end of their gearing and traction roll limitations into the sweeper if they got gready with the throttle and didnt get off early enough , jumps were all small to med 1/10 scale size so the 1/8 guys had to gingerly run em and it was easy for the fragile 10 scale 2wd buggies to manuver. I especially loved it when I would try to staright line the small chicane into the 180 hairpin and run to tight and end up in the" pit lane ", I would clear the wooden track barier wall and land in the pit area. Someone is going to get a bruised ankle when they dont pay attention in the pits and I pull my pit lane trick Ha ha. The drivers stand is smaller, can get maybe 6-8 guys up but it gets tight. It is not the most solid of set ups , be carefull heading up and down the ladder and pay attention to where you are at as it is not enclosed with railing 100%.Lighting for track was fair enough with no dark or real low light spots , but not blazing bright like indoor set ups. No timing yet so leave the transponders at home Everyone was chilll about marshalling each other so it was rare to come off the stand as most in the pits would hop over and marshall you if ya had an issue for most of the night.

Speaking of the pits that is probably the biggest limitation ,next to finding the place , due to the lack of well lit pit area. They have a counter built against the 45 foot shipping container that is the office and lockable storage for the track that gets some of the lighting used on the track and a few power plugs ( this is where the nitro boys set up ) and then what seems like 2 covered automotive repair bays with a few pit tables built with better power sullpies and solid lighting . The e power crew set up there. then there are a few tables and school yard lunch bench and table combos with no lighting. So I would plan ahead if going during busy times, Space was limited, maybe bring a extension cord and some lighting in case ya cant get a small spot in their pit areas to create your own on some of the other tables. Parking sucks but everyone deals with it and asks around to find out who boxed em in when they need to leave.

They seemed to stick to the 11 pm close time on the night we were there , not the late night flexible type close at lrh, but I belive the owner has a real job and needs some sleep so can understand and we ran till almost 11 and were out by 1130pm. He was cool and never harshed us about closing , but it was obious as he went through his closing routine, and ultimatly hauling out the hose for the closing watering down.

So all in all thumbs up. Nice option for the nitro guys wanting a option to run the gassers locally in oc , another spot that still lets us run 1/8 scale abiet the smaller layout, and some later hrs to run till.Plus add the outdoor aspect of track surface and conditions and in oc to boot . Atmosphere was chill with a few adult beverages being enjoyed in a low key manner , cool for kids as all were well behaved ,even the smokers were cool about headin out to parking area to light up. It is out doors so Winter time is a bit chilly out so bundle up for the temps and in summer it should be some nice eve sessions.

call ahead , get gps coordinates , bring your compass , whatever you need to do to find the place and dont get frustrated the first time you get lost trying to find this place as it is worth it. Hopefully they stay busy enough to keep going , and can grow and invest to cure some of the current limitations of this new start up track. It will never be a ocrc type set up , but a cool little low key place to spin a few laps.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default Track update

We are closed today due to the rain. The dirt in still really soft/muddy. Track will be open friday 2-17-2012.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Big thanks to all for coming out to the yard for what seemed to be 1/8th scale nitro day! We had a great time with all the locals from LRH hobbies. It was non stop nitro action with up to 12 cars on the track at once. Great battles and great fun!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Come on down! The dirt is fine
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What size is the track have pics
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jewn_beef
What size is the track have pics
Check it out on facebook : THE YARD R/C.
Pics and videos posted as well as hours
Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default Spring Series

Come joins us for some fun!
Attached Thumbnails New outdoor track in orange, ca-springseriesyardlrh.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

We will open all week at 11am for practice. Race #1 is sunday at The Yard
Attached Thumbnails New outdoor track in orange, ca-562574_334536393261957_100001167986004_899367_508076678_n.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a change to the schedule for round three of the series. The next race will be on Sunday the 6th. Please take note of this and spread the word.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Don't forget to pre-register for Sundays race. The fee is $17 and you will recieve one free practice day prior to the race.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Where has everyone been lately. It's been so quiet at the track these past few weeks. Well I have decided that it's time for a rebuild. We will begin work at the end of the month. Also we need dirt,so any leads on a large quantity of clean usable dirt would be great.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

New roof on the drivers stand. Cost ?.... Zero dollars. Driving in the shade ?... priceless!
Attached Thumbnails New outdoor track in orange, ca-img_20120614_181030.jpg   New outdoor track in orange, ca-img_20120614_181248.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.