Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum
Eastern Connecticut - Let's get together for off-road racing. >

Eastern Connecticut - Let's get together for off-road racing.

Eastern Connecticut - Let's get together for off-road racing.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Eastern Connecticut - Let's get together for off-road racing.

I know posts like this go out all the time and never get anywhere but I figured I'd give it a shot. First off I know all about RC Madness - great program. Wolcott same thing and I think there is Speedzone in Rocky Hill. But if you are from Eastern CT then these places are a bit of a drive for regular visits.

I know you die hards are out there willing to drive for hours for your weekly fix so don't flame me for not wanting to make the trek on a regular basis. I used to be you. I am just trying to see if I can set something up closer to home. I don't want to take anyone away from these established programs cause they need the support to keep it going. I am reaching out to those that don't go cause it's too far but would be into racing if there was something closer.

I live in Coventry with wife, kids, work, lawn, etc... and although I love racing my Revos I hate to spend a good part of my weekend day driving out to Enfield. How many of us are in the Norwich thru Mansfield thru Manchester (and surrounding) area that love to race off-road (nitro or electric) and would be interested in getting together and seeing what we can do?

I have a 80' x 120' area staked out behind my barn and with my tractor, a small rented asphalt roller, some help and lots of dirt we could have a track built in a month.

Any interest out there? Anyone have access to good dirt? Respond to this thread. If enough people are interested in helping out I'll set up a BBQ up at my place and we can see if's worthwhile for everyone.

Thanks, Bill
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Hey, I'm new to Connecticut but live near Norwich and have just started racing this past winter, I'd be interested in some local racing, but I do travel a lot for work so I tend to be busy, but I still enjoy heading up to Enfield, but if we could get enough people together I would be interested in getting my fix more than once a week. I live in the Baltic area, not sure where Coventry is. I have a T4, B44, a LST2(that I'm selling), an RC8 that's going to be electric and some 1/18 scale xrays for the winter. hopefully one of those classes are popular in Eastern CT.

Anyways thanks for the post, I hope more are interested, I tried one of these posts with not much luck last fall.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Baltic is only about 20 minutes from me. I have a few friends interested also. We only need a group of 8-10 to make this work. Stay tuned and let's see how many we can get.

Bill

Anyone else in the Coventry area looking for a place to race or even a place to go to get help with running/tuning your Nitro RC's. I'd be glad to hold one night a week as RC Tech night where we can just hang and help out each other with setups and tunes.

Last edited by Blackbird86; 05-11-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Come on. This thread has been out for a week and only one other person has chimmed in. Is RC racing really dead in Eastern CT? With over 70 views there has to be others out there from this area.

I was at the LHS this weekend and the counter clerk was taking a call from someone who needed help getting their Revo running. They sounded willing to fork over $25/hour to have it serviced. I am all for supporting the LHS but if anyone is in the Coventry area and is new to RC and needs help with a nitro I loved to have a look at it.

I've been playing with and racing these things for years. I would like to get a regular night set up at my barn for us to hang out and help each other with tunes and setups (while listening to classic rock of course).

If you're thinking about getting into it for yourself or your kid let me know. I would be willing to do anything I can to help grow this exciting hobby in our area.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

I know there are others on the eastern side of CT, I guess they don't check this forum...
Old 06-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Default something local

I tried to pm and emailed blackbird but no response... Has anyone received and feedback. I would be willing to help out etc to get something closer than enfield to us. I may know of a spot on Groton CT almost ready to run for nitro or electric. Let me know guys, it wold be great to have a get together and enjoy this hobby withot having to drive over an hour... see ya
Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that it ain't much fun racing yourself. Although I do usually make the A-Main when I am the only one running. Two people aren't enough so hopefully by reviving the thread we'll get more of a response especially with the other tracks closing down. I am not that close to Groton but if you know of a place down there let me know and I'd like to check it out.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default No one???

Come on folks - no one is interested???
Old 10-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

I could definitely make it to Groton, a lot closer than Enfield, although it's a great race scene up there with these prices something closer to home would be nice, I'm also going to build a small track at my house for next season.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i am from east haven and have two kids willing to help out also if you pm i will get into more details with you
Old 10-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How about heading to Waterburry, is that too much of a trek for you guys??

Not trying to be funny, just asking, I've lived in CT for almost all my life and I still don't know where a lot of places are

I'm from the East Haven/ New Haven line, and I drive up to Radio Controlled Hobbies and Raceway in Waterburry, about a 35-45 minute drive, I make the trek every other Saturday, and have a blast.

It's an indoor facility with a hard packed off road track, and it's also an oval. We run mainly 1/10 electric, 4wd/2wd buggies and 2wd trucks.

I'm surprised you guys haven't heard of it. It's on this very same forum
Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There is going to be a pretty significant outdoor offroad track opening up in Chaplin next spring on Rt 6 - they are already set up and running onroad this fall. That looks pretty close to you all. RC Control Freakz is the name.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

I went up to Waterbury today and checked out the track, then I went up to RC Madness too. Both are a little over 1 hr away for me. It would be great to have a local track, something closer to my area. ( I'm in Niantic )