TEMECULA OFFROAD RACING

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TEMECULA OFFROAD RACING

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Rookie

any word on how long the mains are going to be?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I raced on the first weekend and there was mass confusion on the starts of the mains. We couldnt hear Dan or see him because of the bright lights. Did they resolve the issue ? Maybe put speakers in the back so the pit guys could hear? or was it still an issue?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dan put up a couple more speakers in the front of the driver stand, and it seemed to work better this last weekend from the first weekend.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I cant even hear shit, i think he should put up an led lights message board lol..
Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The drivers can hear the tone fine! It's the pit people that are having a hard time with the down and quiet. Dan is working on a light system to help the pit people know when to drop the cars. Is anybody going to practice tonight?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am gong tonight should be there around 530
Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Coppercanyon
I raced on the first weekend and there was mass confusion on the starts of the mains. We couldnt hear Dan or see him because of the bright lights. Did they resolve the issue ? Maybe put speakers in the back so the pit guys could hear? or was it still an issue?
He did resolve this issue. It was a too short of a delay for the loop timing for the start. The finishing order did get a little jumbled from the initial order from correcting the lap times on the printout.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I might be all alone here when I say longer mains don't really excite me. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more track time but a long single race is not as fun as a shorter, closer one. Let's be honest, at about the 10-12min mark, we usually know who's going to win, who will be second, and there may be a good battle for third or fourth going on but that's it. It enters the attrition stage. Who won't flameout, who won't break, yadda yadda. That, to me, is no fun.
My idea is to instead keep the mains where they are, 12 or 15min long, and instead increase the length of qualifying to maybe 8-10min, with a mandatory pit. This will allow more track time for everyone, give people a better chance to place for the main, keep the main's short, close, and interesting, and of course, less time standing in one spot marshalling.
Any opinions?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
I might be all alone here when I say longer mains don't really excite me. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more track time but a long single race is not as fun as a shorter, closer one. Let's be honest, at about the 10-12min mark, we usually know who's going to win, who will be second, and there may be a good battle for third or fourth going on but that's it. It enters the attrition stage. Who won't flameout, who won't break, yadda yadda. That, to me, is no fun.
My idea is to instead keep the mains where they are, 12 or 15min long, and instead increase the length of qualifying to maybe 8-10min, with a mandatory pit. This will allow more track time for everyone, give people a better chance to place for the main, keep the main's short, close, and interesting, and of course, less time standing in one spot marshalling.
Any opinions?
I'm in. That sounds perfect to me.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
Any opinions?
+1
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the input guys! Dan also mentioned having the electric truggies and buggies make mandatory pit stops just like the nitro guys have to. That is a great idea. I do know that longer mains will get you ready for any big races you may want to go to. Would it be a good idea to have the brushless and lipo cars in their own class? I am looking forward to the longer mains and I hope he sticks with it!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

+1 on longer mains, more exciting for me, because anything can happen in Nitro racing. I have lost a lot of races after the 20 minute mark. Its all about the fun, excitment, and challenge.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

While I welcome the brushless 1/8 revolution, I think they should have their own class. It's kinda seems unfair. They can run upwards or 30 min on a battery, and aren't subject to the environmental pitfalls that nitro vehicles are. I don't have a problem racing with them, but manditory pits are essential.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 20 to 25 minute mains

Originally Posted by tech5
Thanks for the input guys! Dan also mentioned having the electric truggies and buggies make mandatory pit stops just like the nitro guys have to. That is a great idea. I do know that longer mains will get you ready for any big races you may want to go to. Would it be a good idea to have the brushless and lipo cars in their own class? I am looking forward to the longer mains and I hope he sticks with it!
I think the mains should be 20 minutes minimum (everyone pits 1x, some 2x), 25 would be even better (everyone pits 2x) for nitro vehicle classes. Having a 20 minute main requires everyone to pit, and I feel that the brushless electric guys should have to pit also (with a stop and go timer). The longer mains require you to stay on top of your mental game. Nobody is ever "checked out", some people just have more practice and are better prepared and it pays off for them with a larger lead. The longer mains prepare you for the big races where mains are 45-60 minutes long. The big races run longer mains for a reason, to test the racers speed, mental focus, and preparedness. Longer mains make the racing less of a sprint and more of a battle of your on and off the track skills. I don't know if I can handle a 45 minute main, but I would like to think I could do 25 minutes. The best night of racing I've had in recent memory was running a 15 minute B-main, winning it, and bumping into the 20 minute A-main (immediately following the B) at Thunder Alley. After I finished the A-main I was stoked, because I had driven the entire 30 minutes, my Truggy finished whole and working, and I had even placed 5th out of 12, good times.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Slash racing

I would like to get some feedback. There has been some talk on this thread about getting a stock or "spec" Traxxas Slash class going. I'm all for it! Slash's are relatively inexpensive, very durable, look great on the track, and they require some driving talent to get them around a track smoothly (think 1/1oth scale 2wd). I think the class would be very competitive and great for beginners. Anyone could start racing for around $300, that won't even buy you a rolling chassis for an 1/8th scale nitro buggy / truggy. I would like to get the class going for several personal reasons, not the least of which is to start my boys racing, but I am curious what other racers thoughts are? Don't read to much into this, I love racing my truggy, it is the ultimate for me, but there is a certain appeal to spec class racing, and it does make a great/affordable entry point for the new and curious. If you know of a track with a Slash class, let me know about it.

Sidenote: I will have my Slash at the track on Saturday, along with my truggy. If any of you other Slash owners want to go racing, bring 'em on out and let's make it happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.